Calling Ormsby Goliath Owners

• Thread starter Vyn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
I've borrowed a Run 9 Goliath 7 for a couple of days to evaluate to see if I want to trade one of my guitars for it. My first impressions are:

- Holy shit this thing is resonant. It's as loud as a quiet acoustic almost.
- It's light, weighs 9/10ths of fuck-all.
- Ergonomic comfortable. Neck profile is nice.
- The saddle adjustment screws I think are too short for the saddles, I think longer ones may be required, although this may not be the case as if I did get the guitar I'd slam it Ibanez style.
- I need a few days to try and see if I can dial the Ormsby Hot Rock bridge pickup with my rig, however first impressions are that it'll have to be swapped out (no biggie as Ormsby sell baseplates and I'm fine with modding pickups).
- No complaints about the neck (it's a neck pickup and I don't really use them much anyway).

Anyone else on here had any experiences with these in general? Any traps/things to consider? I've played a couple of Hype GTRs which I liked and a couple of godly 1-off customs of theirs (mainly Joe Haley's (Psycroptic) custom SX) which are sort of in a class of their own being a hand-built instrument.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

guitareddie

Reaction score
I have two of them, one with the Nunchucker and one with the Hot Rod. Can't decide which I like better :)
My only complaints would be the output jack position and the control layout (which they are finally changing for the upcoming runs). But those are really minor things.
Everything else is just great about those guitars, I love them! They are just so much fun to play!

Reactions: Vyn

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
I had a run 4 moore burst. Very solid guitar, but I found the ergonomics lacking for my tastes. The lower horn cutaway was nigh impossible for me to jam my hand into so I could get to the upper frets, and the rear cutaway near the tuners kept digging into my leg in the classical position.

I did really like how lightweight it was, the finish was awesome, and the nunchucker/de la creme set were really good sounding (far better than the blizzard/concordia set in my metal).

MickD7

Reaction score
I've got two, a six string and an eight string. I recently got the six and I absolutely love it, I got the eight in 2018 and It's a great guitar. Ill post a photo or two later on

Dayn

Reaction score
I'll add a question: anyone know the max string gauge for the Goliath's hardware? I'm part of the group on Facebook, but I don't think the max string gauge for the Goliath was ever stated.

I've preordered a Goliath Shark 8 and I intend on using a .090. (Though I'd prefer .094 or so.) I know there's a review on Stringjoy of someone who said they used a .090 on a Goliath, but it'd be great if anyone could confirm.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
I have two of them, one with the Nunchucker and one with the Hot Rod. Can't decide which I like better :)
My only complaints would be the output jack position and the control layout (which they are finally changing for the upcoming runs). But those are really minor things.
Everything else is just great about those guitars, I love them! They are just so much fun to play!

I'm pretty happy with the control layout - the volume is far enough out of the way but not too far - manufacturers seems to either be putting it right out of the way or as close to the bridge as possible so this is a nice compromise. I think the pickups might actually stay as is, just because while it isn't the sound I'd normally use it's a nice thing to have for variety.

Jack position isn't too bad, I don't actually know where else they would put it to be honest.

I had a run 4 moore burst. Very solid guitar, but I found the ergonomics lacking for my tastes. The lower horn cutaway was nigh impossible for me to jam my hand into so I could get to the upper frets, and the rear cutaway near the tuners kept digging into my leg in the classical position.

I did really like how lightweight it was, the finish was awesome, and the nunchucker/de la creme set were really good sounding (far better than the blizzard/concordia set in my metal).

The upper cutaway is definitely more restrictive than what I'm used to, although normally I'm not up there too much. I have a straight-scale Metal V on order which has the Blizzard in it so I'll be interested to see how it compares with the Hot Rock.

I've got two, a six string and an eight string. I recently got the six and I absolutely love it, I got the eight in 2018 and It's a great guitar. Ill post a photo or two later on

Sick man! How do you find the 8? Will admit that the idea of an 8 is actually tempting. I've hesitated on pulling the trigger for a while as most of the stuff I'd be playing needing an 8 really only uses the 8th-4th strings which on a straight scale was always a bit of a waste.

I'll add a question: anyone know the max string gauge for the Goliath's hardware? I'm part of the group on Facebook, but I don't think the max string gauge for the Goliath was ever stated.

I've preordered a Goliath Shark 8 and I intend on using a .090. (Though I'd prefer .094 or so.) I know there's a review on Stringjoy of someone who said they used a .090 on a Goliath, but it'd be great if anyone could confirm.

From memory the Youtuber ArnoldPlaysGuitar runs an 0.85 on his Goliath 8 currently and was in the process of installing a 0.090. Sounds like it can be done.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
I'm pretty happy with the control layout - the volume is far enough out of the way but not too far - manufacturers seems to either be putting it right out of the way or as close to the bridge as possible so this is a nice compromise. I think the pickups might actually stay as is, just because while it isn't the sound I'd normally use it's a nice thing to have for variety.

Jack position isn't too bad, I don't actually know where else they would put it to be honest.

The upper cutaway is definitely more restrictive than what I'm used to, although normally I'm not up there too much. I have a straight-scale Metal V on order which has the Blizzard in it so I'll be interested to see how it compares with the Hot Rock.

Sick man! How do you find the 8? Will admit that the idea of an 8 is actually tempting. I've hesitated on pulling the trigger for a while as most of the stuff I'd be playing needing an 8 really only uses the 8th-4th strings which on a straight scale was always a bit of a waste.

From memory the Youtuber ArnoldPlaysGuitar runs an 0.85 on his Goliath 8 currently and was in the process of installing a 0.090. Sounds like it can be done.
The blizzard is much more low mid focused and thicker sounding versus the hot rock. I ended up swapping the blizzard out for a Hot Rock actually.

MickD7

Reaction score

I really dig it man, I have an M80m and an RG852 as well and I am honestly spoilt for choice when it comes down to having an 8 string option. I did a clinic a two years ago when I released my first theory and technique book. I ran all three for the whole day but without a doubt the goliath was the go to for most of it. That's why when it came down to getting a new guitar this year I did not even bother debating it and went straight for another Goliath and nabbed a 6 string, its actually the first time in nearly 21 years I have owned a guitar with a maple fret board so its a welcoming change from rosewood and ebony.

I find both guitar's extremely playable and comfortable, I run nyxl's on all of my guitar's for the the 8 strings I use 9-80 gauge strings and for the Goliath 6 I use 9-42 and on my les pauls I use 11-49s. One thing I love about both of my Ormsby's is the fact that the pickups are really well balanced, the coil tap does not make the whole guitar drop its guts out in terms of volume or dynamics. Goliath 8.jpg Goliath Six.jpg Goliaths.jpg