Can I use 100W ENGL head with an ENGL 2 x 12" cabinet?

Balazs Toth

Reaction score
Hi,

I wonder, if I can use a Powerball 2 head or a ENGL Blackmore head with an ENGL 2 x 12" PRO Straight E212VHB cabinet? Or the 100 W head would blow the speakers? I would like to build an isolation cabinet that is not too big, therefore I would like to go for a 2 x 12 cabinet and not for a 4X12.

I thik that the Randall Isolation cabinet is not an option for me, because a 100W ENGL head would blow the speaker in the Randall isolation cabinet.

Thanks in advance,
Balazs

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nik_Left_RG

Reaction score
Which speakers are in those cabs ? Should be fine if they have V30s since they rated @60watts per each.. I run my Mark V on custom v30s 2x12 with no issues.

Balazs Toth

Reaction score
They have V30s speakers. In Mark V, there is a power setting switch. It is possible to set the Mark V to 45 W. In an engl Blackmore or engl Powerball 2 head, there isn't power setting option, as far as I know. They are always on 100 W. So I still wonder, if can connect a 100W engl head to 2 X 12 V30s speakers?

BionicRooster

Reaction score
They have V30s speakers. In Mark V, there is a power setting switch. It is possible to set the Mark V to 45 W. In an engl Blackmore or engl Powerball 2 head, there isn't power setting option, as far as I know. They are always on 100 W. So I still wonder, if can connect a 100W engl head to 2 X 12 V30s speakers?

I connect 120w output of my Matrix to my H&K 2x12 with V30's and it's fine. You'll be fine for sure man.

karjim

Set the World Afire
Reaction score
Oh yes it will work...and Engl amps love Engl cabs, specialy the savage blackmore se BECAUSE these are pretty dark amps with a huge ROAR...
The engl 212 pro is the meanest tightest agressive V30 I ve met.
Built like a tank he can handle 100w easy

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
It should handle the power. If you truly krank things and ever hear it farting out then you should probably turn down the master. I've run a 1200w bass amp into a 300w 1x12 (and other similar cases... 4x6550 guitar amp into a 60w speaker) and never had the slightest issue, I just ran the volume appropriately for the cab.

I agree that the ENGL V30 cabs rock. Super tight and aggressive! The reason I sold mine was because it's br00tal aggressiveness did not really help tame the fizz on my fizzy high gain amps.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
It should be fine. I recently learned in PA applications, the standard for power amps is twice the power of your speakers (per side) for headroom and such, so it's pretty common practice to run double the wattage into a cabinet, even if it is a little different scenario.

Latest posts