Can this Ibanez JEM be saved?

• Thread starter ZXIIIT
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
815494511155548junc-copy.jpg

181457611155551junc.jpg

Maybe?

This is the 2nd JEM I've picked up in this condition, my first being a $150 1988 JEM777DY, which was also painted blue.

Such a shame for a seemingly new model.

I'm doing a video premiere (so I can watch along with everyone) later today documenting the restoration process on this guitar, if interested.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
I rather not have anything to do with the person that had this, seems they're not making the best life choices...

Why even do this to any guitar at all? Sure, I've done some fancy dodgy mods, but this is just...bad, if you watch the video, you'll see why certain things were done to it, which still surprised me, I think?

Dumple Stilzkin

Pointy star bastard.
Reaction score
I rather not have anything to do with the person that had this, seems they're not making the best life choices...

Why even do this to any guitar at all? Sure, I've done some fancy dodgy mods, but this is just...bad, if you watch the video, you'll see why certain things were done to it, which still surprised me, I think?
I would watch it, but some turkey is making us all wait. :sponge:

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
I love fucked up guitar restorations. I'm sure you know what you're up against and I'm a firm believer than most anything can be saved if you've got the motivation.

Here's a cool one I've recently come across: https://kramerforumz.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=4499

That was awesome! I really liked that they decided to undo the mods instead of just taking a sander and starting over, true dedication. Thanks for that!

Reaction score
That's a Jem Junior, it's worth about 500$ new...

But it doesn't excuse the mental illness of doing such criminal activity to a guitar...

neun Arme

Reaction score
I kind of like the original beaten look, it reminded me of the green meanie or somethiong a punk or altenative band could have used in a video in the 90's. LOl.

Anyway, good restoration job, dude.

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
I kind of like the original beaten look, it reminded me of the green meanie or somethiong a punk or altenative band could have used in a video in the 90's. LOl.

Anyway, good restoration job, dude.

In a way, yes, but also, no :p

"Brian is high again"

I bet he was. :lol: I can't imagine who the hell would think those mods were a good idea. That poor upper horn.

I was really hoping the piece would be found, but no luck.

BMFan30

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That's fucking horrible, I don't think I've seen someone turn a perfectly fine guitar into such an abomination before.

mr coffee

Reaction score
As long as it's structurally sound, just about anything can be undone/repaired. I've dealt with worse. About the only guitar I've ever tried to save that I couldn't manage was a Tele that was submerged for a while during Katrina. The neck was okay but the body, not so much.

-m

pondman

Build Whore.
Contributor
Reaction score
Excellent work and great vid bringing that abused piece back from the dead.
What the hell was in that guys head when he thought that shit would be a good idea :lol:

aesthyrian

Reaction score
At least you know for certain that it's a "metal neck" :deathm:

I can only imagine what sort of drugs inspired this creation... like, that's a lot of time and commitment for a whole lot of non sense. Good job restoring it!

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
Most of the issues with this was all the sticky stuff on it. Structurally, the guitar was solid, paint was a bit cracked/faded in a few places from constant sun exposure, though I'm glad they didn't damage the paint much aside from the headstock.

I didn't give it a full setup, but strung it up and played it enough to realize why these get instant tremolo swaps, pickups were awesome though.

Guy was definitely on all the drugs.