Can you make an IR out of a plugin tone to use on a modeler?

• Thread starter PerfectCandor
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PerfectCandor

Anti-Active-Pickup Activist
Reaction score
I already know this is a little bit of a stupid question, so I guess I might be looking for an explanation as to why it doesn't work assuming the answer is no. But, can you run a white noise burst through a plugin and use it as a lone IR on a modeler to get the same sound? The answer to the obvious question of "Why would you even want to do that?" is that I LOVE the Fortin Nameless plugin and the sound I get from it. I don't/didn't have the money to get a modeler with some "capture" feature, I am using the Hotone Ampero, and I certainly do not have the money to get a Fortin head lmao. I have made my own IRs before using a white noise burst and did the same process with a plugin rather than running the signal thru my effects loop, and saving the audio from the microphone, and it sure didn't sound right. Again, if nothing else I would like an explanation of why that wouldn't work. Does it have to do with the fact that an amp has to respond to multiple notes played at once and a white noise burst IR couldn't capture that? Could I make the IR and just boost it? I haven't tried frequency sweep IR making, would that work for some reason?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ExMachina

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
No, an IR is linear the plugin/amp model is nonlinear.

Tonex or nam can do it though.