Caparison Horus FX-AM pickup swap

Zach

Reaction score
I have a Caparison Horus FX-AM and am looking to swap out the bridge pickup. The guitar is a maple body with and ash top, ebony fingerboard, and a maple neck. It also is a 24.75" scale. I play through a Mesa Mark V 25 with a 2x12 rectifier cab. Any ideas for a pickup swap? I was looking at a few bareknuckles, but I'm open to other brands too.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
What's wrong with the current sound? What sort of tone do you like?

Zach

Reaction score
Right now the PH-R sounds a bit bright and thin. I want something for modern metal that works with the tone woods. I want it to stay tight too.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
EMG81? Works for Metallica, Machine Head, BFMV, Trivium, In Flames etc

I know the Horus FX AM very well, and it is a bright guitar. But it also had incredible clarity and sustain. Notes ring out super clear.

One thing you might want to try is changing the height of the PH-R. It is very sensitive to the distance from the strings. Too close and it definitely gets thin and brittle sounding. Lower it a bit and it should tame the brightness.

Zach

Reaction score
Thanks, but I already have an explorer loaded with EMGs so I’m trying to stay away from those. And yeah, I’ve played with the height a lot too. I’ve also tried a dominion but that wasn’t very high output.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
In that case, Fishman Modern is basically a modern interpretation of the ENG81.

If you want more advice, I guess you need to specify the types of music you play on that guitar, what tunings you use, what kind of tone you like etc etc.