Caparison vs Mayones

• Thread starter Jacksonluvr636
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
Anyone ever own both?

I had a AXFM 7 string caparison. Was definitely the best sounding guitar I've had. Played great as well although the neck was very different, not in a bad way.

Considering just buying another but I'm seeing some Duvell elite in the same price range. Never played a mayones but im curious how they would compare.

I'm very picky with guitar necks unfortunately.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jco5055

Reaction score
I technically have both owned (Orbit and a Hydra) but also played (various Horus/TAT models, Duvells and Regius) both. Anything in particular you want to know? I do feel that the Duvell's I've played actually resemble TATs more than any other guitars I've played.

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
I technically have both owned (Orbit and a Hydra) but also played (various Horus/TAT models, Duvells and Regius) both. Anything in particular you want to know? I do feel that the Duvell's I've played actually resemble TATs more than any other guitars I've played.
Mostly interested in what the neck carve is like on a Mayones and general sound and playability.

jco5055

Reaction score
On the Mayones Duvell it's a thicker D...I don't remember it having crazy shoulders but definitely D shaped, and thicker than an Ibanez.

Between the two brands, I can't completely remember sound wise how they compared, but would probably say Mayones sound better since they have Bare Knuckles. I do lean towards Caparison for the playability, but I think the Caparison specs/ads that mention the neck angle etc that makes Caparison unique, but I know a lot here think Caparison is overrated.

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
Mayos have a few different neck shapes, I've played Duvells with their "standard" profile that's like what jco says, but they'll also do a super thin EBMM style shape on those. The Regius is somewhere in between. All are comfy.

I've owned a few Caparisons and they were all good guitars, but a bit overpriced for what you get. Their in-house pickups are nothing special- not bad, but not amazing. If you really dig the aesthetic, or want a 27-fret neck through with a floyd, go for it- but I think Mayones generally has more value for the money.

Solomon Monagle

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've got 3 Regius Cores and a Duvell, and had a standard Regius and a Caparison Dellinger. The Mayos win hands down for me, vastly superior build and timber quality, stability ranges from very good to superb, and across the board much nicer neck carves. The Caparison I had was wildly unstable with even Melbourne's relatively stable weather, whereas my Cores are all extremely stable. I may have had a lemon from Capa as I know a bunch of people who love theirs, so take that as you will, but the worst I've seen from 5 Mayos was minimum very good.

Musiscience

Reaction score
Judging from the few Caparison I’ve played, Mayones hands down. I’ve always felt Caparisons were really overpriced.

On the other hand my QATSI is one of the very few guitars I’ve owned that I’ll never consider selling.

jahosy

Reaction score
Might be a minority opinion here; but i prefer Caparisons in general (specifically early TAT models, and TAT special) than the 2 Regius (2010 & 2012 models) I've owned.

Just find the Regius very uncomfortable to play (due to the flat / radius top profile) and frequently out of tune.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
I've had a Regius and fucking hated it. The neck has thick and oddly shaped to me and it sounded awful. Hard pressed to find worse specs for my personal tastes. I would try a Duvel with a thinner neck, but I hate how they sound as well. Preferences aside, they make a remarkably well built instrument.

I've played a TAT(?) and loved it. It was not as well built as the Mayones, I don't think any guitars are tbh. Get the one you like and definitely play either before you buy, don't just gamble on advice from a bunch of internet randos. Plenty of great guitars out there I have zero desire for, but are good guitars objectively, like these two examples.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Regius necks and bodies didn't do it for me, flat feeling and didn't give me the vibe, quite clinical.

Bettershredthandead

Shredding 'till dead
Reaction score
Just picked up a Horus-M3 and finally found a shop with a Mayones Duvell so I tried one there for the first time recently. I feel if you're more of a Jackson/Charvel player then you'll appreciate a Caparison Horus a bit more than a Mayones Duvell. Which of course would make sense given that Caparison was founded by ex. MIJ factory Jackson/Charvel guys. As for the Mayones, I feel there's a bit of Ibanez-esque RG DNA in the Duvells, at least the one I played. So if you're more of an RG player then you should probably go the way of a Mayones Duvell.

Personally, both seem overpriced these days. I got my Horus used and was more than ok with the price based on its specs and condition. The Mayones Duvell I played was new and had a 5k USD price tag which seemed a bit steep for what it was. I mean granted, killer guitar and build but I'd probably search for a used one first in decent condition. When I was first eyeballing Mayones back in 2016, prices were waaay more reasonable for what it is and wish I pulled the trigger back then which shows you how insane things have gotten with inflation. Nothing you can really do 'cept, like I said, look used. But if you feel its worth the value and are looking for things more 'evolved' than your average Jackson/Charvel or Ibanez then pay no mind and pick either or up.

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
Personally, I prefer Caparison (hence being on their artist roster, I suppose). There is nothing negative I could point out in terms of build quality as far as either of those brands is concerned, and I never had a Capa or Mayo shit the bed on me on the road, so they do rank pretty highly in terms of reliability as far as I'm concerned.

Objectively speaking, you can't go wrong with either, so it's down to what sort of specs and neck profile you favour.