Car paint for guitar?

• Thread starter kastenfrog
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kastenfrog

Reaction score
hey guys!

so i have the plan to refinish my Ibby. i was pretty set on painting it white but then i had an idea. one wing mirror on my car was broken so i bought a new primed one and the colour of my little alfa.:) having one of my guitars in the exact same colour as my car would be pretty cool i guess. so would the paint also work for my guitar?well it says car paint but on the spray can it says it would also work for wood, glass etc. so yeah... this should work shouldn't it?
btw. it's a metallic paint, i this makes any difference.

what are your thoughts?

Attachments

• WP_000076.jpg
    WP_000076.jpg
    531.5 KB · Views: 28
  • WP_000077.jpg
    WP_000077.jpg
    830.6 KB · Views: 12

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fktpguitfiddle

Reaction score
I painted a buddy of mines jackson warrior in sublime green, Chryslers bright green and it turned out great!
401163_231822536896063_971507751_n.jpg
images

Suitable

Reaction score
If its good for a car, its good for a guitar :yesway: just follow the instructions on the can with dry time till polish.

vansinn

Reaction score
I wasn't aware there's some special car paint. To my knowledge it's merely a nitro based paint made to withstand the tear and wear on the road..

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
I wasn't aware there's some special car paint. To my knowledge it's merely a nitro based paint made to withstand the tear and wear on the road..

Car's haven't used nitro since 1962. Not even exaggerating.

Most cars and guitars nowadays are using polyester urethanes, from ibanez to PRS.

And you're kind of correct, there isn't a special "car paint". Its simply a catalyzed varnish most car companies use. "2k" is a common phrase when referencing this stuff. Some still use 1k for cheap (like, dirt cheap, those maaco paintjobs for example) jobs, but most companies are using catalyzed varnishes.

vansinn

Reaction score
^ learning something new every day ;)
I could swear the bike frame I had painted chrome yellow and the fairing in ancona blue metallic with ford shock blue decors in the late 70's were done with nitro, because it always smelled strongly of nitro at the local car painters.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
ive seen a couple guitars painted with that crackle or cement looking finish you find in hardware stores. looked pretty cool, so i painted a wooden aquarium stand with it and its held up well for 2 yrs now.

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
^ learning something new every day ;)
I could swear the bike frame I had painted chrome yellow and the fairing in ancona blue metallic with ford shock blue decors in the late 70's were done with nitro, because it always smelled strongly of nitro at the local car painters.

ok ok , SOME shit still used nitro ($$$!) but EPA changed rules, so a lot of car makers had to go with the harder, stronger, more durable, and more shiny poly :lol::lol:

callankirk

Reaction score
I finished my baritone Tele with black metal flake Plasti-Kote - turned out awesome! Just give it time to cure & lacquer the S.O.B. on up, then let that cure, wet sand, buff, polish, done!