Carbon Fiber

• Thread starter TheHumanMeat
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheHumanMeat

Reaction score
I am really curious about building with carbon fiber but I've got a lot of questions. What kind do i buy and where? What are its tonal qualities? If I wanted to build a neck completely out of carbon fiber, how would the truss rod work or do i even need a truss rod? How would I build a neck or body made completely out of carbon fiber?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sehnomatic

Reaction score
Sorry for being discouraging but

Carbon fiber is still a relatively new technology, mainly the processing of it. It's not a material like wood that can be processed in 2" slabs. Aside from rods, and 2mm sheets, consumer friendly carbon fiber isn't readily available. Storing and processing is going to require some serious investment in forms of equipment and processing material. Either way, it's going to be expensive.

It's going to damn hard, if not impossible to find 1" to 2" thick blocks of carbon fiber. If you spend the money, the time to lay carbon fiber, or both, be prepared to throw away tools that aren't industrial diamond cutters.

The main purposes of carbon fiber in most industries is reinforcement and thin, vital parts that beating - we're talking M1 Abrams turbine engine parts beatings. Never as a material like steel or wood, carbon fiber is a material of its own kind.

That aside...

6a00e39826b28988330133f4fd549c970b-800wi

You also may want to check out this

perttime

Reaction score
There are companies that build guitars out of carbon fiber. Mainly acoustic, I think, but some electric too.

You don't build them by cutting. You build molds and then mold what you are making. There are some different approaches to that, and all of them take some skills and equipment that are totally different from carving a guitar out of wood.

Check out Emerald Guitars and Viktorian Guitars.

sehnomatic

Reaction score
There are companies that build guitars out of carbon fiber. Mainly acoustic, I think, but some electric too.

You don't build them by cutting. You build molds and then mold what you are making. There are some different approaches to that, and all of them take some skills and equipment that are totally different from carving a guitar out of wood.

Check out Emerald Guitars and Viktorian Guitars.

True. Solid blocks of carbon fiber are already absurd. Machining them is still doable but nonsensical.

There's always the parker fly approach.

Mvotre

Reaction score
you can test with glass fiber. Wouldn't work as a guitar, but the process is the same as CF. Cloth, resin, lay up and so on. Maybe if you use a ton of glass fiber you could finish with a usable guitar, but i don't know :scratch:

Homemade Carbon Fiber Bike Project

heck, some people make bikes! A guitar have a more "safe" failure rate I believe. At least it couldn't kill you :lol: