Carvin DC727 Alder v Mahogany

• Thread starter progmetalhead
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

progmetalhead

Reaction score
Approximately six years ago I purchased a DC727 from Carvin's custom shop. I didn't have a full understanding at the time of all options and ended up getting the stock body wood - alder. I was never happy with the tone of the guitar. I tried out a few brands of strings, a few amps, and I even swapped out the pickups for some Dimarzios, but nothing really helped. In fact, the tone after the pickup swap seemed virtually identical. For more information of the tone I'm seeking you can check out a previous post of mine: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/gear-equipment/135886-help-me-build-rig-prog-metal-project.html.

I will be purchasing a new guitar soon. If I do decide to go Carvin again and choose a different body wood (say, mahogany), how much effect will it have the tone of the guitar? I'm really drawn to Carvin because, in my view, their aesthetics can't be beat. But on the other hand, Ibanez is making much more sense to me.

Any thoughts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Pablo

Resident Wanker
Reaction score
The alder body sides are not really what you are hearing - it is the massive slab of maple running through the length of the instrument that totally dominates the tone. Hence, going for mahogany wings will ansolutely not have a profound effect. Look at changing the neck material - Carvin has more than a few tempting offers in this dept..

Cheers

Eske

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
The alder body sides are not really what you are hearing - it is the massive slab of maple running through the length of the instrument that totally dominates the tone. Hence, going for mahogany wings will ansolutely not have a profound effect. Look at changing the neck material - Carvin has more than a few tempting offers in this dept..

Cheers

Eske

:lol:

You can't just change the neck material in a neck through guitar.

You mean 'sell your guitar and order another'.

gator99

Reaction score
progmetalhead,

I had the same experience - I ordered back in 1999 a DC727 with all of the stock woods (maple neck, alder body) and I was never thrilled with how the guitar sounded and, even though the guitar played great, I eventually sold it.

Last year, I ordered another DC727 but I ordered it with a mahogany neck (kept the body alder) and I am liking the sound much better - doesn't seem as bright/shrill as the one I ordered in 1999.

My view is that the neck wood on the Carvin neck through design has a much higher impact on the tone that the body wings wood (just my opinion). However, I don't think a neck through guitar will sound/feel the same as a bolt on neck guitar (aka - Ibanez). So as much as I like my new DC727, it doesn't have that same 'snap' that my Ibanez 7s had. I don't mind. Hopefully one day Carvin offers a 24 fret bolt on 7.

Good luck on your order and/or next guitar.

Regards,
Juan

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
I'd go with a mahogany neck and mahogany wings. Mine was like that with a maple top on it and I still had to put a 250K pot into it to tame the top end (even with BKs in it) the maple tops that Carvin puts on their guitars is pretty thick so it brightens it up even more. Keep that in mind.

shanejohnson02

Hammer of the Gods
Reaction score
I've got a mahogany neck and swamp ash wings, I couldn't be happier with the sound. If I ever pull the trigger on another carvin, it'll probably be exactly the same woods.

buffa d

Reaction score
I've got a mahogany neck and swamp ash wings, I couldn't be happier with the sound. If I ever pull the trigger on another carvin, it'll probably be exactly the same woods.

Btw how would you describe the sound? That's basically how I would spec my guitar (plus a figured walnut top w/ matching headstock)

Does that give you teh DJ3ntZ?

shanejohnson02

Hammer of the Gods
Reaction score
lol I can certainly djent, dzhent, dschent, and dgchent with it. I dropped a CL/LF in there and it slays.

I got the idea for the wood from Petrucci's BFR sig. The specs say it has a mahogany neck, "mahogany tone block", and alder wings. I just substituted ash for alder, and figured bolt-on neck + tone block was similar to a mahogany neck thru. When you knock on it, it's a very nice woody note, like a temple block. I could seriously use it as a percussion instrument. I think the mahogany and swamp ash fill each other out nicely...mahogany for warm low mids and mids, and swamp ash for tight lows and a snappy singing upper-midrange. The maple top probably doesn't add much to it, but if it does it would certainly be the extreme treble end. Another side-effect of the mahogany center is the sustain...even though mine has the FR bridge, it sustains for days.

I meant to order an Aftermath set from Zimbloth, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I had the CL/LF laying around and decided to put them to use. I'm happy for now, although I may order the Aftermaths yet just to give them a shot.