Ridiculous 8 string bridge problem (Jackson HT8)

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
Now that I've fixed the frets...there's the bridge. With proper relief, the action can't go any lower than 1.5-1-6mm. It literally can't, the lower saddles are touching the bridge plate. So that 3/64 on the 17th fret as per the Jackson factory manual? Impossible 👎
The guitar is a neck though btw.

So what can I do?
I was wondering maybe I could replace the saddles with thinner saddles and pray that they can go lower?
I'd rather not get a replacement bridge like a Hipshot because honestly 150 bucks + import taxes is not worth it for this.
Do I take a chainsaw to the guitar and buy a new one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AwakenTheSkies

Reaction score
Shim the neck
Screenshot_2024-07-16-03-55-39-462_com.brave.browser.jpg

AwakenTheSkies

Reaction score
Silly question: does Hipshot make a bridge that would fit? I believe they offer some hardtail bridges with different baseplate thickness options.
They make 8 string hard tail bridges, I don't know if it's a direct fit though. Anyway I'd have to order it from USA for $150 and pay import tax and administrative fees. So I'd rather try sanding 1mm off the bridge plate first.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
It'll be fine. I sand/grind material off the bottom of locking nuts all the time (less risky that chiseling down the neck shelf). It can take a while if you have to go by hand, but it'll get the job done eventually.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
Sell it on Reverb and buy something that isn't going to be a constant pain in the ass would be my vote.

What's your neck relief currently?

*edit I missed the part you said "proper relief". Nvm. Sand down the saddles or baseplate like others said. Or just sell it lol

Last edited:

AwakenTheSkies

Reaction score
Sell it on Reverb and buy something that isn't going to be a constant pain in the ass would be my vote.

What's your neck relief currently?

*edit I missed the part you said "proper relief". Nvm. Sand down the saddles or baseplate like others said. Or just sell it lol
Heheh I've thought about rage selling it. But well, I bought this guitar with my first paycheck and I'm a bit attached to it for that.
The thing is, I know this guitar and it's problems very well. I've fixed the frets already which was the biggest problem.

Buying a new or used guitar is a new mystery and guitar prices aren't very good these days. And 8 string options are very limited.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Are the saddles Strat style? Or a different shape?

Also, is that the exact model? I keep seeing the JS22 or the Misha model popping up.

AwakenTheSkies

Reaction score
Are the saddles Strat style? Or a different shape?

Also, is that the exact model? I keep seeing the JS22 or the Misha model popping up.

The exact model is Jackson SLATHXSD 3-8, which comes with SD Blackouts. This was an $800 guitar new, which is funny because this is the type of factory problem that you would expect from...idk, a $100 guitar? Not even my beginner guitars had problems like this. 🤣

Screenshot_2024-07-16-19-31-50-763_com.miui.gallery.jpg

Anyway the bridge is plenty thick to sand 1mm off of it.

Screenshot_2024-07-16-19-32-21-436_com.miui.gallery.jpg

I just want to figure out a way to do it evenly on both sides if I going to do it manually. Kind of like sanding the bottom of a nut but more difficult, right?

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
I use a chunk of Corian as my sanding plate which is guaranteed to be even and put some sticky back sandpaper on it. Gonna suck sanding metal though.

AwakenTheSkies

Reaction score
I use a chunk of Corian as my sanding plate which is guaranteed to be even and put some sticky back sandpaper on it. Gonna suck sanding metal though.
I could either sand it like a nut, which I don't really like the idea of.

Or I could hold it in a vise and try to improvise a "leveling beam" that's heavy and wide enough to cover the surface of the bridge. Then measure how much I want to sand off and cover the rest with masking tape. Then sand until I reach the tape. Put on some music, drink lots of coffee and be patient while I sand I guess 😅

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I could either sand it like a nut, which I don't really like the idea of.

Or I could hold it in a vise and try to improvise a "leveling beam" that's heavy and wide enough to cover the surface of the bridge. Then measure how much I want to sand off and cover the rest with masking tape. Then sand until I reach the tape. Put on some music, drink lots of coffee and be patient while I sand I guess 😅
Other than doing it yourself, are there any machinists near you? They might be able to do that relatively cheap and have the tools to keep things level.