Carvin Vader

• Thread starter jc986
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score
I've come to a conclusion after thinking about it for a few weeks (I'm a poor wishy-washy dude. Decisions get made and then abandoned a lot.)

I'm going to pick up a 6 string vader in grabber blue to essentially make the headless version of this:
24noex5.jpg

I pulled the first half of the money out of the bank today, so I'm officially halfway there towards affording it.

If somebody wanted to photoshop that for me...

xwmucradiox

sweep.tap.sweep
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the 6 string Vaders can handle baritone gauge strings? Im thinking about getting one but I would need to have a .074 on the low end and its unclear if these are meant to be baritones at 27" scale since the string options from Carvin are only 9s and 10s.

Chokey Chicken

mouth breather
Reaction score
Ferret mentioned in his ngd thread that a 54 appeared to be the largest that would fit in a sixer. Not sure what the largest that would fit in a 7 or 8 though.

ferret

Reaction score
I'm using a 52 right now and it's a tad tight. My tech and I looked at it and decided 54 was probably the limit for a 6.

I just realized I had an leftover 75 from a DR Strings 8-string set. Just tried it, it does NOT fit in the slot.

JSanta

Reaction score
I was able to get a .066 for my low B on the 7 without issue.

xwmucradiox

sweep.tap.sweep
Reaction score
I sent an email to Carvin to see what they say. Almost seems like these are just supposed to be long scale standard tuned guitars like a Soloway.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
I sent an email to Carvin to see what they say. Almost seems like these are just supposed to be long scale standard tuned guitars like a Soloway.

If a 54 fits in there, you should have no problem tuning lower than standard tuning? A 52 tunes down to C on 25.5" scale and just has a little bit of looseness to it, so I would imagine if you're tuning to around B or Bb with a 54 on 27" it would be totally fine. If you're trying to tune to Drop-G, yeah, you might have a bad time.

xwmucradiox

sweep.tap.sweep
Reaction score
If a 54 fits in there, you should have no problem tuning lower than standard tuning? A 52 tunes down to C on 25.5" scale and just has a little bit of looseness to it, so I would imagine if you're tuning to around B or Bb with a 54 on 27" it would be totally fine. If you're trying to tune to Drop-G, yeah, you might have a bad time.

I use a 12-60 set and replace the 60 with a 74. The tuning I use is GGCFAD so yeah that bottom string is pretty low. The dearth of high quality baritones on the market is a total bummer. There is pretty much nothing between the $600 imports I currently use and $3000 custom guitars that I'm not going to bother with. I'd love to see Carvin put out a 27" scale SC90.

rifftrauma

Trapped in time...
Contributor
Reaction score
FYI Carvins got a Ferrari Red V7 in stock right now for $1,309. If this was a six I would have scooped it up quick!

ThePIGI King

Jiu Jitsu Enthusiast
Reaction score
^ That's a beauty. Could someone with photoshop shop me an Orange one with a birdseye board with the MoP diamonds? I know I'm asking for a lot, but any help would be appreciated.

Vairish

Reaction score
^ That's a beauty. Could someone with photoshop shop me an Orange one with a birdseye board with the MoP diamonds? I know I'm asking for a lot, but any help would be appreciated.

Sure why not, it's too close to the weekend for me to focus in work anyways.

lO16uq0.png

russmuller

Cramblin'
Reaction score
There's just something about the Vader that draws me to the satin finish. I almost always prefer a gloss, but these just look like they're on a whole 'nother level with that matte.

mr coffee

Reaction score
Hmmm.... .060 at 27", how low you trying to go? I run a .060 at 25.5" on my RG7321 tuned to E standard with a low B, and it's perfect.

-m

JDTLH9

Reaction score
Carvin confirmed today that the biggest string the V6 can fit is a .060. Bummer.

I am sure you'd be able to drill the hardware to fit bigger if you were brave enough. I did that on my first Ibby 7 string so I could put a 70 gauge through the tuning peg. I haven't seen the hipshot hardware up close yet though. My V7 won't be here for another few weeks. I will let you know if this looks easy enough when I get it :)

JDTLH9

Reaction score
I use a 12-60 set and replace the 60 with a 74. The tuning I use is GGCFAD so yeah that bottom string is pretty low. The dearth of high quality baritones on the market is a total bummer. There is pretty much nothing between the $600 imports I currently use and $3000 custom guitars that I'm not going to bother with. I'd love to see Carvin put out a 27" scale SC90.

That is a sweet tuning. I think Dimebag used it in Pantera but I came across it through experimentation. Love the octave on the bottom 2 strings! Sikth currently use that tuning with the bottom 2 tuned to G# and The Safety Fire tune to it a full step higher with a low A string.
I have since switched to 7 strings so you just have the extra 5th between the octave strings when in a dropped tuning :)

Latest posts