Case Candy?

• Thread starter cip 123
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I think it only makes sense for commemorative/collector pieces, like the Fender Rocky Strat or similar.
I like multitools, but would rather that be sold separately, otherwise you'd end up with a pile of them, and it just seems like unnecessary waste. Just my opinion.
Buy less guitars have less multitools? :lol:

Moongrum

Reaction score
Just don't take them out of the case lmao
Okay, that solves the space issue. I still think it's a waste, though. I have a toolbox, I'd rather use my own tools, and personally believe it's a waste for manufacturers (like furniture) to include common tools.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, that solves the space issue. I still think it's a waste, though. I have a toolbox, I'd rather use my own tools, and personally believe it's a waste for manufacturers (like furniture) to include common tools.
Not everyone has a toolbox.

I used my gibson truss rod tool today, not on the guitar it came with lol. It was closer :shrug: and no guesswork on fit.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
A care and maintenance manual/sheet, all of the tools necessary to do a set-up, and maybe some stickers or picks that cost less than $1. Maybe a little zipper bag like a pencil bag to keep all of the wrenches together and keep them from migrating around the case, or settling into the bottom hard-to-reach pocket corners. Maybe an additional set of the strings the guitar comes with, so if you like them, you know exactly what they are. COA's always confused me because they seem so easy to fake, but I've never really purchased a "collectible" with resale in mind so I guess I'm not the market that appreciates those.

Anything else is pointless. I have no use for a medium t-shirt. I'm not going to hang a "poster", especially one that has folds in it. I've got no use for photo post cards of guitars that aren't the guitar I just bought, I'm too picky about my straps and cables. Include a strap and cable a $250 or under guitar, not with a mid-tier or higher, because those customers likely already have enough or would demand higher quality than they would get anyway.

The t-shirts bug me though, because I see people complain all the time online about expensive guitars where they don't "throw in a free t-shirt" with the purchase. I don't recall ever getting a random free t-shirt in a size I could actually wear, and then I know I'm paying for it in my instrument's price. Give out a coupon for a % off merch/apparel instead of including a "free" t-shirt.

In terms of literal "candy", it's usually candy I wouldn't buy for myself, so I don't mind. I know it's cheap, and I do enjoy candy...but I know others would just rather save that $0.26 and buy their own candy.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
COA's always confused me because they seem so easy to fake, but I've never really purchased a "collectible" with resale in mind so I guess I'm not the market that appreciates those.
On a FCS, the COA contains the spec sheet. For other boutique makers, they just include the spec sheet directly without the leather binding. PRS issues 1 hang-tag ever, so lose that and you lose the specs of the guitar.

Dayn

Reaction score
Not including the relevant allen keys, I had a Strandberg branded pick with my Strandberg. I've had a couple of CDs in my various Ormsbys, and my limited edition Shark came with a pick and hammerhead shark-shaped bottle opener which was neat.

I like when it's small and not extraneous. Something that anyone can use. I'd feel bad if I received free things that just took up space or were unusable.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
From a Prestige Ibby or a PRS, I pretty much have an expectation to get the multitool, hang tags, trem bar, etc.

I got a luthier built Delonge style Strat right before the reissue was announced. I got some hella cool Blink 182 stickers thrown in with that order. I have gotten some cool stickers and picks with higher end pedals even.

I don't want a spare cheap cable, a spare cheap strap, a poster or a wrong-sized shirt with case candy. That stuff never gets used.

Cannot go wrong with a couple of picks (even if they aren't my preference) or stickers. At that price point, it's "thought that counts" swag and appreciated that some minimal effort was made.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Freebies thrown in by the dealer and essential components of the guitar like the trem bar aren't "case candy." :shrug:

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
Man I remember a cable that came on a Fender Eric Claptown I owned, easily the shittiest cable I've ever had, had a constant hiss behind, never heard anything like that on other cable.
Probably made to spec of shit cables from the 50'ties for that B i g B o o m e r M o j o or something in that vein.

I like having Ibanez multitools though

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
‘Case candy’ seems to have changed meanings over the years. In the early-mid 90’s when I started, my dad who worked at Daddy’s Junky Music told me to always get what I could for case candy = everything that would fit in the guitar case you could get the store to throw in with a purchase.

It had nothing to do with the shit that came from the manufacturer.

Precisely why when I got my MIM Strat I had about 12 packs of strings, a shitload of picks, a strap and a new cable. Then when we got my JEM he had me ‘give the demands’ at Manny’s Music and I made out like a fucking bandit. Dude gave me a gross of Manny’s picks, 2 cables, 12 packs of Blue Steels and both black and white Dimarzio clip locks.

hahahahah I tried doing this when I bought my acoustic at GC about 6 years ago, I couldn’t even get a fuckin pick from the guy. :lol:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
‘Case candy’ seems to have changed meanings over the years. In the early-mid 90’s when I started, my dad who worked at Daddy’s Junky Music told me to always get what I could for case candy = everything that would fit in the guitar case you could get the store to throw in with a purchase.

It had nothing to do with the shit that came from the manufacturer.

Precisely why when I got my MIM Strat I had about 12 packs of strings, a shitload of picks, a strap and a new cable. Then when we got my JEM he had me ‘give the demands’ at Manny’s Music and I made out like a fucking bandit. Dude gave me a gross of Manny’s picks, 2 cables, 12 packs of Blue Steels and both black and white Dimarzio clip locks.

hahahahah I tried doing this when I bought my acoustic at GC about 6 years ago, I couldn’t even get a fuckin pick from the guy. :lol:

It was always the stuff that came in the case from the manufacturer, hence the name. It was typically fairly useless stuff that folks who were working musicians or enthusiasts really didn't care about, like catalogs and certificates and maybe a manual. Then sometime in the mid 90's the legacy brands (Gibson, Fender, Martin, etc.) started throwing booklets and straps and signed pictures of artists and all matters of things because a certain generation was really into little freebies because they came up in a time where that wasn't really a thing.

The term really came from folks selling used stuff to try and get the message across that the item was so mint and new that all the crap that doesn't matter, like hang tags or an inspection card, we're still with the instrument. Folks who play their shit toss that stuff. Case candy sounds a lot better that "crap in the case for free" so it stuck.

Now I guess it just means whatever you get at point of sale. Regardless if it's part of the guitar or something. :lol:

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
I think it only makes sense for commemorative/collector pieces, like the Fender Rocky Strat or similar.
The certificate for an Ibanez J.Custom is a nice touch and would probably help with resale (proof that it's genuine).

I like multitools, but would rather that be sold separately, otherwise you'd end up with a pile of them, and it just seems like unnecessary waste. Just my opinion.
I quite like having an Ibanez multitool to hand in the case of each guitar. That way, I can just put a guitar in its case and hit the road without thinking about packing any tools.
The other convenient thing about a specific multitool is it avoids the risk of mixing up metric/imperial tools and damaging a screw/bolt head (not something I've done, but it must happen).

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
“case candy” has become interchangeable with “accesories” per Max’s post. I think most of us know what is meant in 2024.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The certificate for an Ibanez J.Custom is a nice touch and would probably help with resale (proof that it's genuine).

It's sort of like when vintage instruments come with the old, faded receipt. There is a special sort of buyer who really cares about it, but most don't tend to care enough either way.

I say that as someone who has bought and sold a few dozen JCs over the years. :lol:

Latest posts