Challenge: Top 7 String Metal Guitar Tone

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Ola is the coolest. Gotta say though, that Nevermore's crybaby whiny, I wanna die like a bitch vocals always killed it for me. LOL But Loomis is the shiznit. :)

Any and All I can find! LOL ;)
So many.. I don't think I could answer that without a Very long reply. As a guitarist, I look for what I like in tone, then morph the bass and drums accordingly when recording. Often what sounds good is upper end mid range geeters, but is Not Always so when mixing. You ask too many questions.. lol ;)

Oh, see, here I thought he meant you were a supreme dick for shitting on someone who just died. But you obviously knew that and kept the joke going. Cool.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

crossthestyx

Reaction score
Some of my favourites tones across the years.

Some of the production on FF offerings have just been atrocious. Kill The Engineer!.. :) ) Dino's Seymour Duncan Blackout Retribution Bridge Pickup is the best I've ever heard. The perfect pickup in my opinion.

crossthestyx

Reaction score
Oh, see, here I thought he meant you were a supreme dick for shitting on someone who just died. But you obviously knew that and kept the joke going. Cool.

First, Warrel Dane died 2 years ago, Not Yesterday. (if that's who you're referring too) That's who I think of when I think of Nevermore vocals. Second, I hated the guys vocals. It was just not my cup of tea. I'm sure he was a great person, yet very depressed. Everybody dies.. Also, thought the poster/Crundles was referring to guitar amp "models." Perhaps I misunderstood. You "supreme dick." Really?.. Do you call his mom, and still light candles? Please...

Last edited:

USMarine75

Contributor
Reaction score
First, Warrel Dane died 2 years ago, Not Yesterday. (if that's who you're referring too) That's who I think of when I think of Nevermore vocals. Second, I hated the guys vocals. It was just not my cup of tea. I'm sure he was a great person, yet very depressed. Everybody dies.. Also, thought the poster/Crundles was referring to guitar amp "models." Perhaps I misunderstood. You "supreme dick." Really?.. Do you call his mom, and still light candles? Please...

I consider myself pwned. He did in fact die 1.5 years ago. Please feel free to crap all over him, sir.

Rex

Reaction score
Some of the production on FF offerings have just been atrocious. Kill The Engineer!.. :) ) Dino's Seymour Duncan Blackout Retribution Bridge Pickup is the best I've ever heard. The perfect pickup in my opinion.

For me those three albums (Demanufacture, Obsolete and Archetype ) are the reference for a great 7 string tone, always in my humble opinion of course, I can't understand a post about the greatest 7 string guitar tones without fear factory.

USMarine75

Contributor
Reaction score
Northlane Josh is one of my favs... huge fan of the Impulse pickups in my Regius 7.

Devil You Know with Francesco Artusato:

Nevermore as already mentioned... I have a Schecter Loomis and just sold my FB100 and it was such a good live rig/pairing.

I consider myself pwned. He did in fact die 1.5 years ago. Please feel free to crap all over him, sir.

I will. Thanks.

giphy.gif

[PS - Am I the only one that is realizing most of their fav heavy albums are low tuned 6-strings instead of 7's lol???]

Last edited:

crossthestyx

Reaction score
For me those three albums (Demanufacture, Obsolete and Archetype ) are the reference for a great 7 string tone, always in my humble opinion of course, I can't understand a post about the greatest 7 string guitar tones without fear factory.
I agree Dino has had some great guitar tones. I was speaking about some of the album production-> (mixes and mastering)

Reactions: Rex

Crundles

Reaction score

Why yes, yes you did misunderstand. Quite heavily indeed, and in a way I've never seen anyone misunderstand this very common joke on any forum.

I'm going to be serious for a second. It's no secret I'm a massive Warrel fan, but I can respect someone disliking his voice. I still believe people who don't like his vocals are obviously artificial pod people and should probably be quarantined for safety, but I can respect it.

What I really don't respect, regardless of the context, is saying stuff like "Nevermore's crybaby whiny, I wanna die like a bitch vocals" because it makes me agree with USMarine's definition of you.

So how's about them sevenstring tones huh lads

Also mods please ban this sick filth

crossthestyx

Reaction score
Please move along if you're easily offended by other peoples opinions. I'm sure there's a Trump tweet with your name on it. This is a post about 7 string guitar tones, not about how bad you feel that Nevermore's vocalist died. Thanks.
pr.gif

Last edited:

USMarine75

Contributor
Reaction score
Please move along if you're easily offended by other peoples opinions. I'm sure there's a Trump tweet with your name on it. This is a post about 7 string guitar tones, not about how bad you feel that Nevermore's vocalist died. Thanks.
View attachment 71660

Hahaha. You’re quite literally a terrible human being and representative of all that is bad about the internet. No offense.

I’m a huge fan of As I Lay Dying, and I was going to post ‘Confined’ because that is one of my fav tones of all time! But I checked and they use low tuned 6-strings and not 7s. Wtf?!?! I was so mad from my ‘roid rage I wanted to hire an assassin to murder my wife. But he turned out to be an FBI informant instead.

Tl;dr It’s okay if I joke about violence against my wife in poor taste, because that was over two years ago.

Anywho, is Korn going to get any love?

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
I really dig Korn’s tone after the weird beatboxing bit in ‘Freak on a Leash’. They were using some odd pedal that had a nuclear design on it, can’t remember exactly.

Gnarcade

Reaction score
I really dig Korn’s tone after the weird beatboxing bit in ‘Freak on a Leash’. They were using some odd pedal that had a nuclear design on it, can’t remember exactly.

Was it maybe the WMD Geiger Counter? That pedal is crazy cool and capable of some really weird sounds.

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window
I read the thread title and opened for an insane subjective battle... but no! Good thread actually. Lot’s of good mentions. Agreed, Nevermore has had stunning good tone, and I love Ola’s work (plus his reamps like for Scar Symmetry’s last record, WOW), and Keith Merrow. If I’d have to name a squeaky clean modern band, it’s Hollow World. Solid mixing and I’m an Ormsby whore, so:

But onto favorites. One of two albums that got me into 7s to begin with is still an awesome sonic display, and I cannot adequately sum up the influence this record has had on me:

Another monstrously heavy 7 string album comes from the almighty Deeds of Flesh. I was blown away with the thickness and clarity of Portals to Canaan, and to this day it’s my preferred brutal tech death tone. RIP Erik Lindmark, Guitar Hero. Hopefully Craig Peters will carry the torch:

Lastly, I’m a massive OSDM fan, and although many of my favorite bands tune 6s down to B, a few use 7s as well, such as one of the most perfect all time great death metal bands, Incantation. Dirges of Elysium and Profane Nexus are amazing albums, and the greasy tone is aural perfection to my ears. They use both 6s and 7s, but Sonny mostly plays Halo 7s, and the disgusting filth they spew just warms my heart.

Damnit I love that tone! But no 7 string “best of list” would be complete without the other album that got me into 7s. It’s thicker than concrete sludge and I love it. My Daemoness Valkenbyrd 7 was voiced to replicate this tone, and it does in spades:

https://youtu.be/VKfQkNLXVEE

Finally, worshipping that album directly is Maggot Stomp Records up-comers Malignant Altar. One 6, one 7, but they lay it on thick. This is my favorite demo this year, and I’m looking forward to these dudes (Beau B., formerly of Insect Warfare) releasing a full length:

https://youtu.be/u3CaNRVI35Q

Marv Attaxx

Reaction score
I think my benchmark for the perfect 7 string tone is still Korn. Not only have they introduced some weird and cool sounds with their creativity on the fx board but their rhythm tone still crushes, especially together with fieldy.

It just hits in a way that still blows me away when I turn it up in my studio, even after yeaaars of listening to the heaviest deathmetal/deathcore/thall stuff like the Acacia Strain or Humanity's Last Breath.

Masoo2

Reaction score

yall try telling me Merrow + the h100 and/or a 5150 ain't the best damn 7 string tone you've ever heard

everything TesseracT has put out has had insane production value and tones

my four others aren't necessarily specific album/artist tones, but producer signature sounds

Will Putney (already brought up in this thread under Thy Art Is Murder) consistently has outstanding natural-sounding tones, with my personal favorite being The Color Clear, though some like his work with Counterparts and Fit For An Autopsy also take the cake

Brian Hood and this emulators (Buster Odeholm, Lance Prenc, and a few others) also have an insane tone, generally 5150 base that's extremely saturated, ERRA is the obvious example but Invent Animate is another good choice

(this song might be 6 string Drop A# but the other half of the EP is 7 string Drop Ab so not too sure, nevertheless it's within 7 string range)

Roman Kharyukov and his work alongside Slayc Kavlenas for bands like Change of Loyalty, Shrezzers, and Wild Ways has always stuck with me, not super outstanding but an example of a solid all-around core tone

Lastly, Aure of Uneven Structure has always produced some of the best sounding guitar tones I've ever heard, check out his soundcloud here and listen to More Random Riffage, GMS Quickie, June Riffs, Admet Des Faits, and the Uneven Structure samples

https://soundcloud.com/worc

Last edited:

Chris Bowsman

Nu-Metal Apologist
Contributor
Reaction score
Still have a soft spot in my heart for John Petrucci's 7 string tone. "Lie" was what got me obsessed with 7 strings, but the "A Change of Seasons" heavy rhythm tone kills me.

Dave Davidson from Revocation always has great tone, whether it's 6 or 7. Absolutely love his Imperium 7 bridge pickup.

As far as Korn, the first two are awesome. I love how dirty and nasty they sound. A lot of the songs are great after that, but I don't like the cleaner production after that. It was better when they were kind of creepy and gnarly sounding. Also, Fieldy's bass sounds like pure fret buzz anymore.

TunedToB

Reaction score
Growing up I was always in awe of the tone from albums like Demanufacture, Destroy. Erase. Improve., and of course Nevermore's "Dead Heart..." and I think those are still my benchmarks when it comes to not super heavily downtuned 7 strings.

With that said I can't deny that the tone off of Periphery's self-titled album was the absolute tits when I first heard it. That glassy and ballsy chug (or "djent") was a big eye opener for me at the time.

Nowadays I find myself really enjoying the tone off of Knocked Loose's "Laughing Tracks" album and their more recent material. It's just so damn angry sounding.

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window
Dave Davidson from Revocation always has great tone, whether it's 6 or 7. Absolutely love his Imperium 7 bridge pickup.

Dude the second I heard that opening riff from "Arbiters of the Apocalypse" off Great Is Our Sin, I cracked a gigantic smile. Dave definitely has a good ear for killer tones.