Changing all the electronics?

• Thread starter kastenfrog
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kastenfrog

Reaction score
hey guys,

i'm planning on modding my gio ibanez next holidays. mainly refinnishing but i also want to swap the pickups. now one thing that always annoys me is the single coil in the middle so i want to get rid of it and just get a H-H pickguard to cover it up.

so by losing the single coil, i guess i have to get all new electronics, am i right. how much would it cost? i couldn't find an answer anywhere.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Overtone

Reaction score
Best thing to do is figure out what kind of 5 way blade switch you have. I think that you should be able to wire the HH to most but not all 5 way switches. Alternatively you could try the 3 way tele style switch if you don't want coil splitting. Also check your tone and volume pots and if any are 250k, get 500k instead. Technically it can be done with all of the stock electronics, but you might have a preference to change some parts.

Vostre Roy

Disciple of Djod
Reaction score
I did wired my HSH to HH using a 5 way switch. Here is a basic schematic to do it:

Wiring Diagram

Since you have an Ibanez (aka import) 5 way, you'll also need to addapt this schematic to your switch:

5-ways.jpg

Edit: Here's said guitar:

p1000156jc.jpg

kastenfrog

Reaction score
thanks a lot guys but i'm pretty sure i want to give it to a tech for the electronic stuff. my only question is, if someone knows how much it will cost to prevent disappointment or me getting ripped off:D

meambobbo

Reaction score
You should not need all new electronics. At most you could swap the 5 way blade (i assume you have a 5 way) with a 3 way. That's not essential - you should be able to wire it up so that you get both pickups individually or both together. You could additionally make one of the positions a killswitch or other stuff like that.

The extent of work is to desolder 2 wires and maybe make 4 new connections. It'd take 15-30 minutes tops, including the time to heat up the solder iron, unscrew and rescrew the cavity cover/pickguard, and loosen and retune the strings. I'd say you're getting screwed to pay more than $40 for it, and I would think you could find someone to do it for $20.

If you really don't want to get screwed, buy an iron and do it yourself. This is a very basic job that'd be a good way to learn. The iron may even cost less than what you'd pay someone.

Overtone

Reaction score
I second doing it yourself... no harm practicing on a Gio :p Plus sometimes people will wire according to their own weird idea of what's good. I think you should open it up, see what's in there for pots, caps, and switches, and decide what needs to be replaced.
I think a fair price is more like €40-50 for the whole job and 70 would be where it starts to get too expensive. That's assuming he will have to change the switch and/or pots. The parts themselves are cheap... here pots go for about $5, caps for $1-2 and switches I'm not sure but probably around $10.

GizmoGardens

ECE/MetalHead
Reaction score
You could just take it out. you'll have a dead position on your switch, but its free. I've done it.

Posted from Sevenstring.org App for Android