Chaos AD turns 30

• Thread starter Crungy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Fun fact: While I have heard Sabbath and Metallica and bands like that prior, this is the first album I heard that I went "Oh, this is METAL." So yeah, I owe this album (and similarly Type O Negative) a lot.

Briz

Lifelong Learner
Reaction score
I saw them live as a kid with Ozzy and Type O Negative. Amazing performance.

FILTHnFEAR

Dread it, run from it....
Reaction score
I'll always have a soft spot for this album. Got into them when Arise had come out, got the entire back catalog and then they dropped this.

Pinnacle Sepultura.

Saw them on tour for this album with Pantera and Biohazard. One of, if not my favorite concerts. Max came out with Biohazard and Biohazards roadie on vocals and did Cypress Hill - Ain't going out like that. And Phil came out with Sepultura and sang Arise with Max.

Max and Igor should have done a tour, playing this in its entirety. I know Max spoke of it, but nothing happened.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
That is one of my all-time favorite albums.

Chaos A.D. is why I still have a couple of BC Rich Warlocks and a Mesa Triaxis. Arise was a big influence on me, but the combination of death metal, thrash, groove, industrial, and punk that Chaos A.D. brought was undeniable.

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
This is what i think one of the greatest moments on UK TV. It was live on prime-time television. Awesome performance, and I love max's growl at the end.

LOL!! The Word! Classic late night TV! LOL! And a cheeky bonus of lad mag fav Dani Behr too!

Not listened to Chaos for ages but it got me massiviely in to Sepultura and then Soulfly too obviously

gabito

Stay at home musician
Reaction score
Oh, damn, that means that they're pretty old then. Yes, they are! Not me!

This was released when I was ~13 years old, they were what we all south american metalheads wanted to be, so I listened to this so-many-times. I just began getting into music not long before this: some punk (Sex Pistols, Ramones), some metal (Metallica, Megadeth), and probably some hard rock (AC/DC, Guns 'n' Roses, whatever). Then one day I'm listening to the radio at home, they play something really heavy I've never listened to before... I didn't know what it was but I was HOOKED. Like "Damn, what is this? So fucking fast, so fucking loud! I want more!" The song ends, and the announcer says something like "And this was so and so from the album Arise by Sepultura blah blah" And so I went, asking everybody I knew if they got a Sepultura cassette, CD, or something I could borrow until a friend's older brother lent me Arise. And that was it, I REALLY got into metal after that: Death, Obituary, Carcass, Morbid Angel, Napalm Death, and whatever.

I had all the posters, all the magazines, bought all the CDs (still have them), learned all the songs (at least the ones I could play :lol: ), followed all the drama when Max left. Sepultura fanboy #1 :lol: I don't know how it was elsewhere, but they were huge back then.

I lost interest when Max focking left the band, and it was never the same, but I listened to every album they've released so far and the last few are good. Very good, I'd say.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Fun fact: While I have heard Sabbath and Metallica and bands like that prior, this is the first album I heard that I went "Oh, this is METAL." So yeah, I owe this album (and similarly Type O Negative) a lot.
I had a very similar experience. I didn't listen to much Sabbath but was on a steady diet of Metallica as a youngin. Instead of Chaos AD, I found Roots first. At the local library of all places lol

But exactly the same response as you... Oh, this is METAL!

Zer01

Reaction score
I liked this at first, but looking back it feels like the beginning of nu-metal. Compared to Arise it sounds sloppy and thrown together. After this album I don’t think I ever heard another thing by Sepultura.

gabito

Stay at home musician
Reaction score
This album is more like a mix of different influences they had as musicians. Less pure thrash, more hardcore, groove metal, and so on.

They more or less jumped on the nu metal bandwagon with Roots, which sounds more like Sepultura kind of cosplaying as Slipknot. I like that album too... but not that much.

jahosy

Reaction score
Always felt that Chaos AD was a lackluster attempt of their 'Black album'/ 'Countdown' moment. Really disappointing when it came out, especially after the brilliance of 'Beneath' & 'Arise'.

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
WOW
Don't really like the record, as I prefer the previous outputs
That doesn't deny that Chaos AD is a landmark

Baelzebeard

Grinder of strings
Reaction score
One of my faves for sure. Great energy, songs, production. The full package.

Saw them on tour with Pantera and Prong when this came out. Awesome show.

Haven't liked anything since, including roots. Never liked nu metal at all, and to me roots sounded too much like Korn.

Arise was great too. And i enjoyed the raw intensity of the first couple records. But,..and I know it's blasphemous, but Beneath the Remains never really hooked me. Something about it always sounded off to me.

gh0styboi

El Stressperado
Reaction score
Fucking hell, I'm getting old...

Stellar album to this day, you can put it on right now and it still sounds good.

Latest posts