Chapman is partial owner of Guitarmory/Cerberus guitars now

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
per musicradar :

Rob Chapman has partial ownership of Guitarmory and Cerberus guitars now. Rabea left chapman guitars too.

I'm curious if they'll start chucking guitarmory pickups into chapmans now.
I never thought chapmans were worth the money tbh, but this might give them a bit better value.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Edika

Reaction score
I saw his video where he broke the news. And Rabea's videos saying he's leaving Chapman guitars.
I mean if you find a Chapman second hand for a decent price then they might be worth as workhorse guitars. I haven't played one though to see if they're decent or not.

I remember Guitarmory pickups having issues finishing orders for an Asian guitar brand and Adam from Elysian helping out (or I'm confusing them with another pickup brands?).

Cerberus was the company that had those ugly ass Explorer runs right? With the wonky bevels that made them look really funky?

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
I saw his video where he broke the news. And Rabea's videos saying he's leaving Chapman guitars.
I mean if you find a Chapman second hand for a decent price then they might be worth as workhorse guitars. I haven't played one though to see if they're decent or not.

I remember Guitarmory pickups having issues finishing orders for an Asian guitar brand and Adam from Elysian helping out (or I'm confusing them with another pickup brands?).

Cerberus was the company that had those ugly ass Explorer runs right? With the wonky bevels that made them look really funky?
Chapmans are mediocre guitars ime. Their higher end stuff was better quality but not worth 1500$+ imo.

adam was guitarmory's main winder for a while iirc.

Yeah Cerberus was the company making the goofy beveled explorers and blackmachine clones.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Chapmans are mediocre guitars ime. Their higher end stuff was better quality but not worth 1500$+ imo.

adam was guitarmory's main winder for a while iirc.

Yeah Cerberus was the company making the goofy beveled explorers and blackmachine clones.
Only guitars Chapman ever has had over 1500 are their new British custom shop series and Rabea's sigs. Everything else is under 1300 bucks so far. Not sure what the pro series for this year will be though.

dmlinger

PepperFox Guitars
Reaction score
What’s the deal with Rob? I don’t know anything about him other than he’s the guy behind his brand.

I just sold a build I did that I put a set of Guitarmory Tyrants in. They were really great pickups. Ceramic high output and did that perfectly. Did another build with their Orion set that went to a super awesome guy who works as their customer service rep. Nothing but great things to say about Guitarmory. I hope it’s a positive move for them.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
I'll be avoiding those companies then. Rob Chapman is an absolute up his own arse twat.

I have to wonder is some of the public fallout with them and Rob’s douchery soured Bea’s feelings on them. IIRC, it was right around that time the Bea started making videos with other brands, notably the EBMM, LP, Strat, and Mayonnes he’s picked up. The latter having made him a couple customs in recent years. They have more options for baritone and multiscale… AND have a rep for really solid quality. Would not be surprised if we saw a Mayo-Bea collab announced this year or early next year.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have to wonder is some of the public fallout with them and Rob’s douchery soured Bea’s feelings on them. IIRC, it was right around that time the Bea started making videos with other brands, notably the EBMM, LP, Strat, and Mayonnes he’s picked up. The latter having made him a couple customs in recent years. They have more options for baritone and multiscale… AND have a rep for really solid quality. Would not be surprised if we saw a Mayo-Bea collab announced this year or early next year.
I don't think it's that, as the fallout happened a couple of years ago. And like Rob himself, Bea always likes having a nice collection of guitars. Rob has customs from several companies. I think Bea is just now at a point where he's established his brand enough that he wants to see what he can do on his own. Like he said Chapman brought him on, and gave him creative input, and a signature model before he'd ever really released an album. That said I am very curious to see where Bea pops up guitar wise or if he just experiments with a lot of brands this year.
As for Rob getting partial owner ship of Guitarmory and Cerberus. I think it's cool. I will be curious to see how long it takes before Chapman's pro line come with guitarmory pick ups instead of the Duncan's, or if they go that route at all. I could see them for sure becoming options in the British custom shop series.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score

Yeah, GOC sold guitars that were supposed to have Guitarmory pickups in them. But they couldn't keep up with the timeline, so Adam (Elysian) pitched in to help out. Adam was never part of Guitarmory, though. (As an interesting aside, I had pickups designed by the guy that formed Guitarmory way back when, and he kept making errors in the angle and pole spacing of the pickups. Eventually, the current owner took over, and made a nice set for me.)

And yes, Ceberus is the guitar side of Guitarmory, and they made those Explorer type guitars. (As well as a super Strat style.)

What I'm curious about is what advantage it gives either Chapman or Guitarmory to do this. If Guitarmory is doing well, do they need extra exposure to increase sales that Chapman can give them? Or is he giving them a cash infusion to expand? I get wanting to have an endorser for exposure, but ceding part of your company is taking money/stock out of your own pocket, and exchanging it for a marriage. I hope these guys really like each other as partners.

Lemonbaby

Reaction score
Rice.gif

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
What’s the deal with Rob? I don’t know anything about him other than he’s the guy behind his brand.

I just sold a build I did that I put a set of Guitarmory Tyrants in. They were really great pickups. Ceramic high output and did that perfectly. Did another build with their Orion set that went to a super awesome guy who works as their customer service rep. Nothing but great things to say about Guitarmory. I hope it’s a positive move for them.
He's stirred some negative reactions from some of his shady business gimmicks and possible scams, and then moreso with how he responded to the people exposing those shady business gimmicks and possible scams by threatening them and just generally being a self-important douchenozzle. It's quite possible that virtually everyone at his level of business success has done similar shady business gimmicks and possible scams, and there didn't really seem to me to be anything worthy of an OMG reaction, but few have rose to his level of vindictive retaliation to criticism, and I really believe that's why there is so much disdain for him all over the internet.

Of course, I barely know the tip of the iceberg here, but maybe that's a fair enough cliffs notes version of the drama.

profwoot

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I love Bea so much that lately I've been enduring Rob Chapman's singing in Dorje. woof. But worth it for those sweet funky riffs.

I'm excited to see where Bea ends up. Wish he would start up a real band again.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I love Bea so much that lately I've been enduring Rob Chapman's singing in Dorje. woof. But worth it for those sweet funky riffs.

I'm excited to see where Bea ends up. Wish he would start up a real band again.
I ws about to say "just listen to Toska" but then I just found out they broke up :(

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't have a dog in the "I Hate/Love Rob Chapman" debate, but if there is one thing to be grateful to Chapman for, it is giving Bea a platform to succeed in his own right.

So much this. I really like Rabea's work. Toska albums were awesome.

I take this as good news. I'm sure Rabea will find another company to endorse him pretty fast.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
Yeah, GOC sold guitars that were supposed to have Guitarmory pickups in them. But they couldn't keep up with the timeline, so Adam (Elysian) pitched in to help out. Adam was never part of Guitarmory, though. (As an interesting aside, I had pickups designed by the guy that formed Guitarmory way back when, and he kept making errors in the angle and pole spacing of the pickups. Eventually, the current owner took over, and made a nice set for me.)

And yes, Ceberus is the guitar side of Guitarmory, and they made those Explorer type guitars. (As well as a super Strat style.)

What I'm curious about is what advantage it gives either Chapman or Guitarmory to do this. If Guitarmory is doing well, do they need extra exposure to increase sales that Chapman can give them? Or is he giving them a cash infusion to expand? I get wanting to have an endorser for exposure, but ceding part of your company is taking money/stock out of your own pocket, and exchanging it for a marriage. I hope these guys really like each other as partners.

Probably gives them leverage into the European market through Anderton’s who are part owners of Chapman, and also through the same ownership, access to Asian manufacturing as a package deal. Chapman gets a ‘metal’ sister brand, and guitarmory/Cerberus get a larger market and dedicated European dealership/advertising, as well as probably better margins on overseas manufacturing. Let’s not undersell the reach of the Anderton’s YouTube channel. Regular exposure through that would be nothing shy of game changing for any boutique brand.

I don't have a dog in the "I Hate/Love Rob Chapman" debate, but if there is one thing to be grateful to Chapman for, it is giving Bea a platform to succeed in his own right.

I don’t hate the guy. Just acknowledge douchery when it’s deserved. And he’s been a royal douche. Business is business. He put a company out of business likely accidentally. But he has a business to grow, and I don’t think he necessarily did anything illegal, but definitely a bit unethical. The worst part is that when saddled with criticism for it, he sent his internet fan base to bully and smear people and worked really hard to hide everything he could on his end. I empathize with the business owner who got the shaft here. Know who you’re doing business with and get iron clad legal documentation. It will save your ass in the long run.

All that said, Bea is a monster player and seemingly good dude. Who has put a lot of distance between himself and that stuff over the last few years. I’m glad they featured him though. He’s proven to deserve the attention. His YouTube content has fallen off lately. He’s one of my go to people for gear content now. And I think his work with Toska is some of the best Post Metal/Instrumental Metal work of the last decade. Far more enjoyable to listen to than AAL and other bands of that ilk.

So much this. I really like Rabea's work. Toska albums were awesome.

I take this as good news. I'm sure Rabea will find another company to endorse him pretty fast.

I’m sure he’s been getting offers in the background for years now. Companies are probably asking for his input and are probably sending him prototype guitars, A) wanting his input, & 2) hoping it will lead to collaboration. His preference is Baritone 6s, and his Chapman was a cool version of that. I doubt I’d buy one like that, but he made some interesting choices with it. IE the single size bucker in the neck position. Which I like the idea of a lot. I find myself wondering if Dan could make one for me on my next Oni build…

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I don’t hate the guy. Just acknowledge douchery when it’s deserved. And he’s been a royal douche. Business is business. He put a company out of business likely accidentally. But he has a business to grow, and I don’t think he necessarily did anything illegal, but definitely a bit unethical. The worst part is that when saddled with criticism for it, he sent his internet fan base to bully and smear people and worked really hard to hide everything he could on his end. I empathize with the business owner who got the shaft here. Know who you’re doing business with and get iron clad legal documentation. It will save your ass in the long run.

Wow. Could you elaborate? Looks like I completely missed that drama!

All that said, Bea is a monster player and seemingly good dude. Who has put a lot of distance between himself and that stuff over the last few years. I’m glad they featured him though. He’s proven to deserve the attention. His YouTube content has fallen off lately. He’s one of my go to people for gear content now. And I think his work with Toska is some of the best Post Metal/Instrumental Metal work of the last decade. Far more enjoyable to listen to than AAL and other bands of that ilk.

Yup. He's also moved away from the typical "youtuber-persona" with cringy thumbnails, clickbait titles, screaming, burping, etc. :lol:

Just chill gear demos and great music. I also tend to like the gear he has input in (Victory Kraken, Silo pickups), which helps.

I’m sure he’s been getting offers in the background for years now. Companies are probably asking for his input and are probably sending him prototype guitars, A) wanting his input, & 2) hoping it will lead to collaboration. His preference is Baritone 6s, and his Chapman was a cool version of that. I doubt I’d buy one like that, but he made some interesting choices with it. IE the single size bucker in the neck position. Which I like the idea of a lot. I find myself wondering if Dan could make one for me on my next Oni build…

I wouldn't be surprised if he became a Schecter artist. They seem to accomodate the modern metal crew fairly well, and they also have Tele shapes (Chris Garza sig, Nick Johnston sig, etc).

Last edited:

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
Wow. Could you elaborate? Looks like I completely missed that drama!
A small US chain became the primary dealer for Chapman guitars in the States and then spent a ton of money sending Chapman artists around in a bus doing clinics as part of brand promotions. When the big box stores approached Rob to stock Chapman instruments, he took them up in a heartbeat. The small chain could not compete with the big chains and went out of business. I suppose they were hoping to recoup enough money as the exclusive dealer that they didn't think about the future. Rob showed them no loyalty, but it didn't look like they had a contract to hold him to either. Money talks.

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if he became a Schecter artist. They seem to accomodate the modern metal crew fairly well, and they also have Tele shapes (Chris Garza sig, Nick Johnston sig, etc).

I mentioned it elsewhere, but my bet is Schecter as well or EBMM. I was more sure it would be Schecter initially, but I'm about 60/40 now on those two being Rabea's new home.

And as for Chapman, I'm glad to see them losing artists as a payback for the fiasco mentioned above. Don't want to see them go out of business or anything, but some karma is nice.