Chapman is partial owner of Guitarmory/Cerberus guitars now

hensh!n

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I wonder if this means we can now see some uniformity on their 7-String Soapbar pickup designs. I now know Guitarmory as the company that sold a 7-String Soapbar pickup that was neither spec'd like a 7-String Soapbar pickup nor an 8-String Soapbar pickup, but instead some weird in-between size...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dmlinger

PepperFox Guitars
Reaction score
It's absolutely insane to see something I now work on being talked about on one of the forums I grew up on essentially. Most people here in this thread probably don't know me but I recognize most of your usernames because you guys have helped me over the years whether as direct replies to my threads or informative replies to other people's threads that I searched out to solve my own problems or questions.

I also wanna state that I respect everyone's opinions they've had about Guitarmory whether it be designs (were the bevels really that bad? genuine question 😂), customer service, or partnership choices. Nothing is perfect and a lot has changed over time. There's been high points and low points and sometimes those have happened simultaneously for different customers. It's not the same company that was in existence before I joined and not even the same company that it was right after I joined even. The company's compass definitely points to getting people something of quality rather than lining our own pockets at the expense of fellow players.

Overall the rise in popularity has been really weird for me honestly. I mean, it's to be expected if we continue to do things right and attempt to grow but idk, it's hard to put into words. I'm sure anyone else who works for a business in the industry had to feel the same way at some point. I never thought I would be involved in something like this though for what was just a hobby when I started playing 17 years ago.

Overall, we're doing well and I believe we will continue to with this partnership. Gotta say not all of the statement above is true though. Things are good between all of those involved as of right now though. It was just the one winder during that time period for a long while and he was part of our business chat. Love Adam and am still friends with him.

I wasn't aware we were ever on the way out but that may have been before my time. There are times when a business isn't in the spotlight or constantly gaining a lot of ground but I've not seen steady declines on any front while I've been able to see things from the inside. Just normal business tides.
Yo bro! I’m gonna need you to come clean about the IG post that tagged Texas as a new shop lol. Trying to figure out if you’ll be close enough to me to drop in sometime!

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
Watch Rabea end up a Line 6 artist with a signature Shuriken.

View attachment 119384
Can't lie though, man. Yamaha (who owns Line 6) has been making MOVES recently in terms of new gear and artist acquisition. Heck, Yamaha's development and resources that they've sunk into Line 6 is the reason why the latest Helix incarnations are so good for those who are on a budget and don't want to go the Fractal or Kemper routes.

Last edited:

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
Watch Rabea end up a Line 6 artist with a signature Shuriken.

View attachment 119384
Wasn't the Shuriken the sig for Twelve Foot Ninja? and they've gone on indefinite hiatus. So where does that leave the Shuriken now?

I wonder if this means we can now see some uniformity on their 7-String Soapbar pickup designs. I now know Guitarmory as the company that sold a 7-String Soapbar pickup that was neither spec'd like a 7-String Soapbar pickup nor an 8-String Soapbar pickup, but instead some weird in-between size...
Was it second-hand or direct? Things are extremely standardized as of last year so it could have been an old builder's work or a one-off for someone with weird routes. One of my own sets was off-spec that was made around 2017 or 2018 but it went into an Agile so I'm not sure who was to blame for that. Soapbar routes have been inconsistent across guitar manufacturers. Pretty sure Harley Benton was one of the worst offenders. Ended up needing to have customers measure their routes exactly to ensure fit or to make them completely custom-fitting pickups. Usually, the wonkiest routes (not even just soapbar) have been from manufacturers who you have no way of contacting and getting a response from with actual route dimensions. There were a few guitars/models that we couldn't even make pickups for but they had to send in the stock pickups and we then rewound them to our specs so that we could use their baseplates and bobbins.

I recently moved away from having any guitars with soapbar routes partially because of this but I still get guitars with "normal" routes and other brands' bobbin sets that are just something different than the norm. I just wish everything was as easy as the pickup swap system Relish guitars have.

Yo bro! I’m gonna need you to come clean about the IG post that tagged Texas as a new shop lol. Trying to figure out if you’ll be close enough to me to drop in sometime!
Pretty sure Adam was the only one in Texas we've ever had make pickups. Unless you're seeing something recent that I'd have to ask for clarification from Michael on.

John

New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh
Reaction score
the company that had those ugly ass Explorer runs right?

That covers quite a bit of ground, though. Examples include Solar, the Typhon, whatever Kiesel tried out with the Hyperdrive, and if one opted to look further into the past- Gibson themselves with those authentic guitars riddled with holes.

Edika

Reaction score
That covers quite a bit of ground, though. Examples include Solar, the Typhon, whatever Kiesel tried out with the Hyperdrive, and if one opted to look further into the past- Gibson themselves with those authentic guitars riddled with holes.
That is true, even though the Solar's are a matter of taste and the Typhon is not great but not too bad. The Hyperdrive is horrible but I would take one over a Cerberus!

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
Really? The explorer shape isn't bad at all:
1673145190301.png

Maybe I'm in the minority here. I'm totally fine with the aesthetics of the above build. And never had an issue with Guitarmory pups.. But @LeviathanKiller it'd be cool to hear your story on the Chapman deal and perhaps what future plans are with that brand, if you can share

John

New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh
Reaction score
That is true, even though the Solar's are a matter of taste and the Typhon is not great but not too bad. The Hyperdrive is horrible but I would take one over a Cerberus!
The aforementioned reek of the following vibes: change up some things to avoid the 'authentic' crap in court, but not enough to be palatable above and beyond an oddly specific niche of guitarists + hype-men.

Sure only one that's legitimately ignorant would truly fail to tell the difference, which isn't a high bar considering how Ibanez guitars are still identifiable in such a community with little to no hassle despite smashing the keyboards to name their next iterations of products.
But outside of the less tangible factors, their stuff would probably be more appealing/acceptable if they weren't just radiating the energy of some extra crooked LTD 200's/400's, or Fenders that got bent, even some old Agile and Jericho guitars with a few extra color swaps and fancy-pants decorations on top.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
Scratch my previous reply. I didn't realize the new shop location for Cerberus was in Texas!
This all happened this week so I still haven't gotten the download on everything. Michael is planning on doing events (involving BBQ) at that location so you can hit him up regarding that. 😂

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
Scratch my previous reply. I didn't realize the new shop location for Cerberus was in Texas!
This all happened this week so I still haven't gotten the download on everything. Michael is planning on doing events (involving BBQ) at that location so you can hit him up regarding that. 😂

What part of Texas as I also live there. Being an Oni owner, I would like to at least take a look for science. The guitars themselves aren’t my bag. I’m more than happy with the Oni stuff and will likely stick with that for future guitars. We also have a spectacular luthier in Austin for ERG stuff.

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
Really? The explorer shape isn't bad at all: View attachment 119410

Maybe I'm in the minority here. I'm totally fine with the aesthetics of the above build. And never had an issue with Guitarmory pups.. But @LeviathanKiller it'd be cool to hear your story on the Chapman deal and perhaps what future plans are with that brand, if you can share
The angles are all wrong, especially at the back. Maybe if the bottom horn was beveled in the same way as the top part it would look cool

tedtan

Reaction score
I....actually like those bevels?
I’ve never been a fan of bevels, but can deal with on something like a SG where they are uniform. The asymmetrical bevels on this explorer don’t work for me.

But if you like them, more power to you.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've never bought into the hate on Chapman. Nobody honestly knows the whole truth from what happened a few years back. People just have put their sides out on it. I've not met Rob so I've no personal opinion on him, but he seems like a good enough dude. Guitarmory folks I've seen active in the Kiesel group on FB and they are always VERY cool people. So I don't see this as a negative. If it is a win win for both Chapman and Guitarmory/Ceberus I'm all for it. I'm hoping that it will allow Guitarmory pick ups to come in some chapman models and build their name more.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
I've never bought into the hate on Chapman. Nobody honestly knows the whole truth from what happened a few years back. People just have put their sides out on it. I've not met Rob so I've no personal opinion on him, but he seems like a good enough dude. Guitarmory folks I've seen active in the Kiesel group on FB and they are always VERY cool people. So I don't see this as a negative. If it is a win win for both Chapman and Guitarmory/Ceberus I'm all for it. I'm hoping that it will allow Guitarmory pick ups to come in some chapman models and build their name more.
I don't care enough about Chappers to love or hate him, but this guy has receipts.