Charvel DK24 HSS Drop B tuning pickup suggestion

glasswall

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a Charvel DK24 HSS. Last year, I replaced the bridge pickup with a Duncan SH-11 Custom Custom because I thought the Full Shred was too bright in E Standard. However, after a while, I decided to tune my guitar to drop B. Now, everything sounds soft and muddy, with no clarity or articulation. I don't want to go back to the Full Shred, but maybe it might sound better in drop B? I'm more into post-metal/shoegaze stuff lately. Can you suggest pickups please? What do you guys think about the Duncan Distortion SH6b for only the bridge? Thanks.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Maybe give the SH-5 or SH-16 a try. The SH-5 is the same wind as the CC but with a ceramic magnet which tightens up the lows and adds some aggression to the high mids.

The SH-16 is basically like a Custom 5 but with one bobbin underwound to add some clarity and tighten the low end. It also retains the high end of the Custom 5, which might be a bit too bright?

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Try the $0 option first, but barring that Avedissian pickups are excellent and made with similar musical styles in mind. I have a Night Prowler bridge from him that I've been using for years now, it's outstanding in B standard. Plenty of clarity under nasty dirt, splits well, and does pedals well. I play a lot of post metal, sludge, shoegaze, type stuff.

glasswall

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a Charvel DK24 HSS. Last year, I replaced the bridge pickup with a Duncan SH-11 Custom Custom because I thought the Full Shred was too bright in E Standard. However, after a while, I decided to tune my guitar to drop B. Now, everything sounds soft and muddy, with no clarity or articulation. I don't want to go back to the Full Shred, but maybe it might sound better in drop B? I'm more into post-metal/shoegaze stuff lately. Can you suggest pickups please? What do you guys think about the Duncan Distortion SH6b for only the bridge? Thanks.
Hello everyone I tried the Full Shred Again, It is definitely clearer than Custom Custom but still it has a weird bright honky tone that I don't like at all. I'm still open for suggestions. Maybe it is just how the guitar sounds like? I don't know should I really look for other pickups or change the guitar lol. wyt?

ezboarderz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
A while back, I switched from black winters to the sh-5 custom for c# standard and drop b tuning and it’s been a great swap. The custom has a big bottom end with that ceramic sizzle in the high mids. It is pretty high output but not being too much like the black winters were. Can highly recommend the sh-5