Cheap Combo plus Amp in a box - advice please

hYpYz

Reaction score
Hi Everyone.

Old casual bedroom headbanger here.
I'm using a 7 string into DAW with Mercurial Audio amp box into studio monitors/headphones on normal days.
I might have found someone to play with recently and looking for some small combo amp up to 50-60W.
I've experienced those before and never liked how they sounded so I was thinking about getting Amp in a box like Revv G3 or something like that.
There's so much stuff nowadays I was hoping someone would just know what's best to buy.
I understand those pedals are between £100-£300
For Combo amp I can probably go up to £500 new/used.
Metal is what we'll be playing most of the time.
I already have a noise gate pedal...somewhere :D
My favourite tones are Dual Recto tones both in real and in guitar sims, but I'm a realist on what can be achieved.
If someone can think of an alternative solution I'm all ears.

Kinds regards,
Kamil

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BurningRome

Reaction score
Mooer Preamp X 2 Amp Sim and a Headrush 108 powered speaker. Super affordable option on the used market too.

Tried many amp in the box options and they just didn't do it for me. I realized I prefer amp sim's.

This set up will allow you to handle the bedroom volume easily and be loud enough in a band if you wanted to take it that far. I've done it several times with a metal drummer without loudness issues.

hYpYz

Reaction score
Mooer Preamp X 2 Amp Sim and a Headrush 108 powered speaker. Super affordable option on the used market too.

Tried many amp in the box options and they just didn't do it for me. I realized I prefer amp sim's.

This set up will allow you to handle the bedroom volume easily and be loud enough in a band if you wanted to take it that far. I've done it several times with a metal drummer without loudness issues.
Dude just watched few reviews and this seems like an awesome suggestion. I've never used a speaker like this but it says 2000W. Definitely no problem with low volume in the bedroom ?

BurningRome

Reaction score
Dude just watched few reviews and this seems like an awesome suggestion. I've never used a speaker like this but it says 2000W. Definitely no problem with low volume in the bedroom ?
No I actually found it way easier to control low volume use vs a lot of standard tube amps. The tone is consistent at low volumes as it is at high volumes.

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
One big downside to the headrush FRFR is that it's not really meant to be a "near field" speaker. It's more like a PA speaker. Another is that it's way too bass-y. You will likely want an EQ of some sort to cut everything lower than like 60hz. Was not really happy with it. I paid $150 for one and feel like it's too much. I think the DSL20cr option mention above will sound a lot better.

BurningRome

Reaction score
One big downside to the headrush FRFR is that it's not really meant to be a "near field" speaker. It's more like a PA speaker. Another is that it's way too bass-y. You will likely want an EQ of some sort to cut everything lower than like 60hz. Was not really happy with it. I paid $150 for one and feel like it's too much. I think the DSL20cr option mention above will sound a lot better.
I use a mooer radar to cut high and low frequencies and have no issue with the headrush being bassy or ear fatiguing once that’s applied.

I learned the hard way after getting crazy ear fatigue from the high end.
The main reason I got it was for home use and transport to band practice after I had broken my back. Dealing with heavy gear made it miserable, at the time.

The thing the headrush does exceeding well is provide great low level sounds because it’s all about what the quality of the profiler or sim you’re feeding it.

It’s not perfect but it’s def far better and practical than a lot of guitar products that I’ve purchased over the last 10 years.

Works great with a electronic drum kit too

hYpYz

Reaction score
The mini heads are an awesome choice but Marshall is just not my thing and I'd have to buy a cab which makes the whole thing to expensive of a choice. Hence original idea to get cheap combo plus amp in a box. I had AVT150dx hybrid amp and I could never get it to sound good to me. I know it's not their best shit but now I'm just hesitant to buy anything Marshall. I already have Boos noise gate compressor and eq gathering dust so I should be able cut necessary frequencies. Please suggest other options my mind is not made up yet.

BurningRome's solution was just out of the box and something I completely didn't think of....and cheap :D
I'm leaning to it at the moment but if there are other good options I'm ready to jump on the bandwagon :D

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The mini heads are an awesome choice but Marshall is just not my thing and I'd have to buy a cab which makes the whole thing to expensive of a choice. Hence original idea to get cheap combo plus amp in a box. I had AVT150dx hybrid amp and I could never get it to sound good to me. I know it's not their best shit but now I'm just hesitant to buy anything Marshall. I already have Boos noise gate compressor and eq gathering dust so I should be able cut necessary frequencies. Please suggest other options my mind is not made up yet.

BurningRome's solution was just out of the box and something I completely didn't think of....and cheap :D
I'm leaning to it at the moment but if there are other good options I'm ready to jump on the bandwagon :D
Actually the DSL20CR is a full tube 12" combo amp, so no need for extra cab... Also it's much better than any valvestate 😉

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Also you may take a look on the Revv G4 pedal, combined with a solid state combo like for example the very loud Fender champion 100 (2x12", 100w) ( in its effects return)...

Lionsblood79

Swimmin with bowlegged women
Reaction score
Boss Katana Mk 2 50 is a very versatile combo amp. It has 5w, 25w & 50w settings for whatever environment you to play it in. It comes with access to the Boss tone studio, which allows you to shape pretty much any tone you want. You can save up up to 4 tones you've created to the amp. Boss tone studio has, I believe, every Boss pedal ever made in its library at your disposal. Its also very inexpensive at about $250 usd. I play exclusively metal on mine and have zero complaints.