Cheaper alternatives to OD-808

• Thread starter GÜMERSINDO
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

UV7BK4LIFE

Schecter A7 addict
Reaction score
Wow I get to be first to mention the Way Huge Green Rino :hbang:. If I were on a budget I'd look for a used Way Huge, BBE, Krank, Tech 21, Amptweaker, and the like. Top notch brands with a relatively small following.

The Maxon and Ibanez 808 / TS9 Tubescreamers are the ones that work right away, pretty much regardless of settings, there's no bad sound in it. Instant gratification. Bad Monkey is good for the money. FOR THE MONEY. In it's own right it's sufficient, needs some tweaking, not great in every setup, gets the job done.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
If an 808 is your end goal for cheap, I'd just keep an eye out for a beat up old Maxon or Ibanez :shrug: I've seen plenty of TS808's and OD808's go for $60 or less used, some of which were still in great shape.

neurosis

Reaction score
I have the Wylde over drive.

I have been thinking of getting the Maxon or the Ibby TS9 but I am not sure if I would see an improvement. Everybody seems to use these to boost the amp. Sometimes I wonder if the Wylde is too harsh on its own for the clean channel and if any of these you guys are talking about sound better (more sweet I guess).

I wanted an OCD for a while but like OP mentions price is an issue at this point.

The BB sounds like a great deal used. I only tried it once but it made the amp tighten up nice and over the clean channel had a good swell on the neck pickup.

Jaxcharvel

Reaction score
I have a Maxon 808 and a Joyo VO. They're not exact, but they're so close that unless you are playing them back to back through the same rig you can't tell the difference. For $30 it's unbeatable. I owned my Maxon first is the only reason I still own it.

papa_moz

Reaction score
Another vote for the Green River Drive. The guy from analogman was involved in the circuit design and its around 60-65 bucks new. Like a typical TS clone but without the loss of your bottom end.

metaljohn

SS's Only Dick Butt
Reaction score
Abominable Electronics Hellmouth.

Switchable between the TS9/808, has a switch for higher gain, and footswitchable LED clipping. Handmade for only $125.

metallkrieg

Reaction score
I have a Maxon 808 and a Joyo VO. They're not exact, but they're so close that unless you are playing them back to back through the same rig you can't tell the difference. For $30 it's unbeatable. I owned my Maxon first is the only reason I still own it.

This!

Like with everything else guitar related (especially in a forum filled with custom and boutique stuff), people tend to dismiss cheap alternatives. Don't do it in this case!

The Joyo Vintage Overdrive is really really good. Also, since you seem to leave in Europe (Spain?), you can buy them from Thomann (the Harley Benton pedals are rebranded Joyo's).

Hope it helps!

Nick

Reaction score
I liked the MXR GT OD with my Mark V before i went axe fx. I keep that pedal in case im in a practice studio and need to use the house amps. Wasnt too pricey but does the job well!

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
The GTOD is good. I'd recommend the Classic OD, but it was a Guitar Center (USA) exclusive.

It's a damn good pedal, though. One setting is a GT-OD (Tubescreamer), and the other is a Zakk Wylde OD (more aggressive and bassier Boss SD-1).

GÜMERSINDO

Reaction score
I´m checking ebay in these days for an used ibanez/maxon, although the bids tend to increase at the end of the auction and I´m not keen to pay 100 Euro for used stuff.

If eventually don´t find a bargain I´m comitted to buy the Joyo/Harley Benton. For 30 Euro is worth to give a try at least.

Latest posts