Children of Bodom/Bodom after Midnight Megathread (RIP Alexi)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
The first 15-20 minutes were a bit rough, but I think it's just Finnish humour flying right over my head :lol: cool panel though! It's so nice to see Alexander together with his old bandmates talking about old timey Bodom stuff.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
The first 15-20 minutes were a bit rough, but I think it's just Finnish humour flying right over my head :lol: cool panel though! It's so nice to see Alexander together with his old bandmates talking about old timey Bodom stuff.

Thanks for reminding me, I was gonna watch this when I saw the video come out but then I forgot. Great video!

Last edited:

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
I recently went to Helsinki again for the first time since 2016 to pick up a custom shop Alexi Arrowhead and got to visit a bunch of cool places in the 36 hours or so that I was there! Musamaailma, Bodom Bar, Alexi’s grave, Ruttopuisto, and The Riff bar.

There’s probably not a better way to buy an Alexi on earth, and it was very cool but bittersweet to be able to see all these places and appreciate the impact that COB had on so many. Without coming off as some insufferable super fan, as a guitarist and fan of COB the significance that the trip had on me can’t be understated.

IMG-5329.jpg
IMG-5339.jpg
IMG-5351.jpg
IMG-5360.jpg

IMG-5364.png

IMG-5367.jpg

IMG-5368.jpg

IMG-5371.jpg

IMG-5384.jpg

IMG-5385.jpg
Maybe my Googling skills are just crap, but what is the TOM SV looking one in the last pic?

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score
Maybe my Googling skills are just crap, but what is the TOM SV looking one in the last pic?
It’s an ESP SV-1NT. It’s the same guitar that’s featured in the “Looking Out My Backdoor” music video.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Wish I would have gotten to see these dudes back in this era, but oh well. That Hatebreeder solo is so sick man. Young Alexi was just untouchable man.

Hatebreeder has become a personal favorite. I learned it on the guitar like a year ago and I've been meaning to film a cover since then, but was having trouble nailing some parts. I think I'm pretty close. That solo was what kinda inspired me to learn it. The whole song is just such a perfect blend of black metal, 80s hair metal, and neoclassical shred. It's perfect.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Not exactly unexpected, but looks like Warmen have added some CoB songs to their set. Sounds pretty perfect to me:

The new Warmen album doesn't scratch the new CoB itch but it's shows they have the chops to play that kinda music

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
The new Warmen album doesn't scratch the new CoB itch but it's shows they have the chops to play that kinda music

For me it did for a while, but it turned out to be really forgettable stuff in the end. But yeah hopefully I'll see them live at some festival next summer, and hopefully they'll add even more CoB songs by then. Their current lineup is pretty much perfect to be a CoB tribute band.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Saw a pic of their setlist - apparently they played Everytime I Die as well. Gotta see if there's a video of that.

Update: yes there is!

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
It's 2-3 days that I put up their discography on Spotify and I listen to it in the car
Still can't understand why they decided to change their sound after Follow The Reaper (which wasn't a great record)...the Something Wild and Hatebreeder sound was so fresh, dynamic and original

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
It's 2-3 days that I put up their discography on Spotify and I listen to it in the car
Still can't understand why they decided to change their sound after Follow The Reaper (which wasn't a great record)...the Something Wild and Hatebreeder sound was so fresh, dynamic and original
Seems like he was a big fan of the American metal boom at the time

Edit: Follow The Reaper not a great record? I understand tastes different but what the fuck that album rules lol

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
Enjoying the Warmen live vids. Never got to see CoB live but will try and catch them when they come to the UK.

eems like he was a big fan of the American metal boom at the time

Edit: Follow The Reaper not a great record? I understand tastes different but what the fuck that album rules lol

Follow the Reaper is a classic but I can understand why some don't love it as much. Many of the sleepier midpaced melodies and 0-0-0 chugging on latter-day CoB records had their (superior) blueprint on FtR. Tempos are overall slower, it definitely lacks a measure aggressiveness and intensity compared to the records bookending it - think of the sheer unhinged speed from Hatebreeder or the punishing thrashier attack of HDCR. Also introduced that scratchy clanky rhythm tone which characterised them thereafter; on FTR especially the palm mutes feel really un-musical.

Ive listened to it 10010101010 times (the physical CD design is so pretty as well) but never felt the compulsion to learn all of it on guitar as I did with Hatebreeder or HCDR

neurosis

Reaction score
I think Reaper sounds too incisive, something about the overall mix is very cutting... especially the guitars. But even with the sound it was my second Bodom record and I love it. The changes in the opening track towards the solo alone made a stupid impression on me at the time. Trading parts witht he keyboard and then Alexi unleashed with that classic legacy sound we were so used to in Europe yet adding all that greasy attitude he had. The opening of Children of Decadence I always got so motivated on the train to school. I thought shit yes, this would be the best opening for an action show. Funny enough in my memory that part is a keyboard track and always reminds me of McGyver... ahahahah. Every Time I Die was always a great tune live, classics like Hate Me... and I remember reading the liner notes and loving all those bands. It's a special record for me although I get what you are saying about the previous ones. Bodom was one of the greatest bands. They had personality in heaps. Laiho is such a loss. A bad Laiho track is still a good track :D

neurosis

Reaction score
Enjoying the Warmen live vids. Never got to see CoB live but will try and catch them when they come to the UK.

Follow the Reaper is a classic but I can understand why some don't love it as much. Many of the sleepier midpaced melodies and 0-0-0 chugging on latter-day CoB records had their (superior) blueprint on FtR. Tempos are overall slower, it definitely lacks a measure aggressiveness and intensity compared to the records bookending it - think of the sheer unhinged speed from Hatebreeder or the punishing thrashier attack of HDCR. Also introduced that scratchy clanky rhythm tone which characterised them thereafter; on FTR especially the palm mutes feel really un-musical.

Ive listened to it 10010101010 times (the physical CD design is so pretty as well) but never felt the compulsion to learn all of it on guitar as I did with Hatebreeder or HCDR
Downfall is probably one of the most memorable tracks of any band at the time. I don't revisit this album a lot but this song has to be top ten of my teenage playlists.