Children of Bodom/Bodom after Midnight Megathread (RIP Alexi)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gnoll

Reaction score
FTR is where things started to go wrong.

There are still well-written melodies and songs but... eeehhhh... it's not the same anymore, it feels sort of commercial and lacking the right vibe. The guitar tone is UGHH, terrible.

Something Wild was very cool, but Hatebreeder with songs like Warheart, Hatebreeder and Downfall, that's for me absolute peak Bodom.

gnoll

Reaction score
Yeah they sound like Testament - Souls of Black or something. Extremely scratchy, trebly and plasticky. Hatebreeder guitar tone was more or less perfect: raw, natural and balanced. They should have acknowledged that they nailed it there and tried to replicate that for FTR.

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
Seems like he was a big fan of the American metal boom at the time

Edit: Follow The Reaper not a great record? I understand tastes different but what the fuck that album rules lol
I don't think it was as inspired as SW and HB.
Surely it's weak after two masterpieces, which doesn't mean I don't like it, but considering the "third record rule" it didn't met the high expectations

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
Once again;

Y'all are corny as fuck :lol:, FTR absolutely rules.
maxresdefault.jpg

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
Wtf am I even reading? Follow the Reaper is an iconic album. Sure, you could say the tone sounds very percussive, but songwriting wise it's not that far from Hatebreeder. Hell, it's not my favorite either, but it's probably top 3 easily.

A lot of sudden and odd hate for an album that has Hate Me and Kissing the Shadows on it, the latter of which being probably one of the most critically acclaimed songs ever by guitar nerds the world over.

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score
FTR is fine, not as good as Hatebreeder but HCDR is by far their best work. Even the band said it in the interview posted on the last page. They think all the classical influences on the former albums just sound cringy and outdated these days and HCDR defined their sound.

gnoll

Reaction score
Okay maybe people should calm down a bit. I feel like I just called somebody's kid ugly or something. But really I don't think anybody said FTR is actually *bad*. I mean I think the album is fine. It's not bad. Except the guitar tone.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Okay maybe people should calm down a bit. I feel like I just called somebody's kid ugly or something. But really I don't think anybody said FTR is actually *bad*. I mean I think the album is fine. It's not bad. Except the guitar tone.
Lmfao. Bad Bodom guitar sound = SW and Blooddrunk. Wanna try again?

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
This is so weird that people are saying FTR is not great or that the "guitar sound is bad." The only real difference to me seems to be that the Hatebreeder guitars have more bass and low midrange with a more rolled off upper midrange and treble/presense frequencies. The sound of the guitars on FTR seems to shift the high-pass and low-pass higher more or less.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I don't think it was as inspired as SW and HB.
Surely it's weak after two masterpieces, which doesn't mean I don't like it, but considering the "third record rule" it didn't met the high expectations

SW isn't so much "inspired" as it is Yngwie wanna be leads and straight ripping classical music into blackened thrash.

Hatebreeder I WOULD say is inspired as Alexi is definitely doing his own thing there, although there is still straight up copying from classical composers and the whole "Downfall" spiel; but overall, it gets a pass.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
I don't really think the tone on any of the albums is bad except for maybe Blooddrunk. Otherwise, the first 4 albums and even Are You Dead Yet people were absolutely obsessed with the guitar tone. Follow the Reaper was one of the main ones for that too

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Wtf is going on here :lol: I mean, to me the production on FtR is pretty damned close to perfect. I guess the guitar tone on it's own is kinda thin and all that, but it's gotta be that way to cut through but still leave room for the keyboards and stuff. And IMO it absolutely works in the mix. And to me that's definitely not the album where it started to go wrong - that title goes to AYDY? (despite being a decent album, still).

Regarding which album is their best, to me it's tied between FtR and HCDR, followed by Hatebreeder.

NotDonVito

molesta la breastas
Reaction score
You're all wrong, first 3 albums are trash, Alexi probably rolling in his grave from the cringe of recording them.

This is in fact the best COB album, if you disagree it's because you're not a true fan and have been filtered. (I unironically like this album)
RelentlessCover.jpg