Circle K now Kalium Strings

• Thread starter Robby the Robot
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Poltergeist

Reaction score
I'm glad it's Kalium strings now, it's something unique and better fitting for a guitar string business.... No more associating "polar pops" and cigarettes with my guitar strings anymore .

For those who are like wtf is he talking about? There are gas stations/convenience store locations named Circle K in the United States; one just a couple blocks down the road from where I live actually. lf I had to guess I'm sure this is one reason for the name change.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Really looking forward to the future of this company. I was happy to see that the rebrand announced the other products - given that Skip has been making the Knuckle basses for a long time but they never really seemed to have much coverage. Along with all the other low frequency goodness that I know he dabbles in, it's good to see these things are going to be brought to the forefront more!

vansinn

Reaction score
I totally agree. There is so much going into branding, and the right biz/product name has utmost importance for the success of a biz.

Kalium Strings sounds like a good brand name to me :agreed: Keep going, Skib ;)

Sullen

In misery we rest
Reaction score
I just wish they would make flatwound/string-thru body for my 35" fretless bass so I can tune it properly to G# and have all my babies rocking Kalium!!!!

marshallH

Wears Guitar Too Low
Reaction score
I actually know the owner of circle k/Kalium strings. His name is skip and he wears a kilt almost everyday. His son goes to school with me. Great strings.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
I just wish they would make flatwound/string-thru body for my 35" fretless bass so I can tune it properly to G# and have all my babies rocking Kalium!!!!

Have you actually tried roundwounds to see if you like them? These were my thoughts looking into fretless until I actually realised most of my favourite fretless players are using rounds. They sound fantastic.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Yeah. As far as I know the instruction is more about the fact that the string will sit effectively un-tapered which isn't great but people do get by with untapered strings ok. The concern for me would be the huge angle bend of presumably a 150+ string, I've heard it could break. D'addarios untapered 145 trying to bend around a Fender Tele style bass bridge was nasty...

ixlramp

Reaction score
AFAIK their 2 highest priorities for new products are a choice of a longer tapered section and steel roundwounds, i also suspect the new store will have a choice of inverted-tension sets and hopefully 5ths sets too.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
AFAIK their 2 highest priorities for new products are a choice of a longer tapered section and steel roundwounds, i also suspect the new store will have a choice of inverted-tension sets and hopefully 5ths sets too.

What is inverted tension sets? heavy bottom/light top?

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Aye. The opposite of traditional (which makes zero sense). I've been using balanced on bass and 'inverted tension' (I just call it progressive tension) on guitar but recently moving into ERBs where a plain top string can't get so tight I'm going for inverted and it's really nice.

Sullen

In misery we rest
Reaction score
Have you actually tried roundwounds to see if you like them? These were my thoughts looking into fretless until I actually realised most of my favourite fretless players are using rounds. They sound fantastic.
I'm concerned with the roundwounds damaging the fretboard with the grooves. I have a fretted BtB that is top loaded with a Balanced set (.166 .124 .094 .070 .053) and like I said I tune down to standard G#.

The fretless is actually a conversion and the bridge is the Hipshot individual saddles that can be top loaded or thru body, I prefer thru body personally. I haven't tried roundwounds on it yet, and haven't found a manufacturer that makes the gauge I'm using on the fretted bass neither so it's tuned in B but I really want to incorporate it into the music I'm making, have some crazy ideas in my head for the fretless...