Clean Up Your Youtube

• Thread starter Petar Bogdanov
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
I always find it strange when people use criteria like this to decide which browser to use, as opposed to just basing it on the overall experience. I don't use IE or Edge because I know it's easier for websites to break in IE (any time I've done any web dev, IE/Edge has required extra testing). I usually take Firefox over chrome just because I prefer the experience. (And I fully appreciate the irony of that statement given my previous comments in this thread. :lol:) The constant competition between Chrome and FF to go faster and use less memory keeps both of them equally usable, IMO.

I'm 100% onboard with the Windows 10 updates being a PITA though. I prefer to be entirely in control of when my machines reboot. Makes me glad I have access to pro licenses most of the time.
I don't really take resource intensiveness into consideration for which browser I use (since I'm mostly on my gaming desktop that has relatively beefy specs). I used to love firefox but they fell to the wayside when chrome came out for me. Chrome has been consistently fast and useful, which is all I want from browser, and I guess it took microsoft losing everybody to ff/chrome to finally figure that out.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I'll admit I never gave Edge a chance. IE left enough of a legacy behind that I'm hesitant to go that direction. If ever FF did anything weird that made me want a new browser, I'm sure Chrome would do the trick just as well or better.

I dunno if there's something to be said about Google having their hands in so much of the average/daily computing experience though. Do I want the same company to have control over the browser, the search, a lot of the sites I go to (Youtube being the thread-relevant one), etc? I suppose I'm derailing the thread pretty badly though.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Resources are definitely a consideration for me if I am helping someone with making their system more user friendly for the specs they have. Then again, I sort of suggest Chrome by default.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
if I am helping someone with making their system more user friendly
Maaaaaaaaan, not to derail the thread even more, but if there was one thing I could do to help non-techy people with new computers it would just be the option to fresh install with none of the garbage-ware that people get with their machines and seem to think is useful. It gets more and more important to have the fastest browser and optimize out ads and things to get a decent browsing experience when your already-hobbled-in-terms-of-spec netbook that you picked up because it was cheap and had lots of big numbers on the sticker has all its RAM gobbled up by "drivers" and "utilities" and 8 different trail versions of anti-viruses and cloud backup tools that you'll never really use...

1st step in any new PC -> Wipe out and install a clean OS. And even then, the official Windows images you get from MS still have some junk in it, but it's at least a manageable amount of junk. A couple of dumb app store games are easy to clear out relatively speaking.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Maaaaaaaaan, not to derail the thread even more, but if there was one thing I could do to help non-techy people with new computers it would just be the option to fresh install with none of the garbage-ware that people get with their machines and seem to think is useful. It gets more and more important to have the fastest browser and optimize out ads and things to get a decent browsing experience when your already-hobbled-in-terms-of-spec netbook that you picked up because it was cheap and had lots of big numbers on the sticker has all its RAM gobbled up by "drivers" and "utilities" and 8 different trail versions of anti-viruses and cloud backup tools that you'll never really use...

1st step in any new PC -> Wipe out and install a clean OS. And even then, the official Windows images you get from MS still have some junk in it, but it's at least a manageable amount of junk. A couple of dumb app store games are easy to clear out relatively speaking.
Bloatware is awful.

KnightBrolaire

Reaction score

literally everything you described is why I quit buying ready made computers years ago and finally built my own. The HP and Dells I owned were filled with all kinds of shit I didn't want pre-loaded on.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
The HP and Dells I owned were filled with all kinds of shit I didn't want pre-loaded on.
Realistically though, on some level I don't quite understand why preloaded software would factor into a purchase unless it impacts the price. If you can get a good deal on pre-built and throw your own OS on it, it works out the same, I would think. Even if you don't have a separate license, I'm pretty sure you can use the media creation tool to get a fresh Windows image and use the license that came with the hardware. Easy clean install.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
also, as long as you dont click and watch a Jared Dines video, you wont get it on your list...

Yeah, I don't even know who Jared Dines is, nor have I ever seen a Music Is Win video recommended for me. I think, in my specific case, at least, the youtube algorithm actually does a pretty good job of filtering content that I actually want to see. :lol:

KnightBrolaire

Reaction score
Realistically though, on some level I don't quite understand why preloaded software would factor into a purchase unless it impacts the price. If you can get a good deal on pre-built and throw your own OS on it, it works out the same, I would think. Even if you don't have a separate license, I'm pretty sure you can use the media creation tool to get a fresh Windows image and use the license that came with the hardware. Easy clean install.
It was really annoying to have to do a clean install on a brand new computer the couple of times I bought a pre-built. It was more a matter of me wanting more control over the components of my rig.

More on topic: music is win is like the buzzfeed of guitar channels. TOP 10 reasons you shouldn't play stairway in Guitar center, TOP 10 reasons I play dad rock, etc
I hate how any decently sized channel is using clickbaity crap like that

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I think I get some of those suggestions because I watch a fair amount of the Rob Chapman and Andertons videos. I'm one of those weirdos who enjoys Robs character instead of finding him annoying, which seems to be the case for some people here. I legit enjoy stuff like the blindfold challenge videos, and seeing Lee Andertons reaction when he's fooled into preferring something entirely against his traditional values. :lol: Could be argued I'm pretty easily entertained though.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
It was really annoying to have to do a clean install on a brand new computer the couple of times I bought a pre-built
I kind of enjoy the process of setting everything up. But again, if it's not pre-built.... you have to do the setup regardless. :2c:

KnightBrolaire

Reaction score
I think I get some of those suggestions because I watch a fair amount of the Rob Chapman and Andertons videos. I'm one of those weirdos who enjoys Robs character instead of finding him annoying, which seems to be the case for some people here. I legit enjoy stuff like the blindfold challenge videos, and seeing Lee Andertons reaction when he's fooled into preferring something entirely against his traditional values. :lol: Could be argued I'm pretty easily entertained though.
I do like watching chapman/andertons since they at least do good demos. On a sliding scale of annoying I don't even find chapman annoying compared to meme guitarists like stevie t or dines or scallon

A-Branger

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't even know who Jared Dines is, nor have I ever seen a Music Is Win video recommended for me. I think, in my specific case, at least, the youtube algorithm actually does a pretty good job of filtering content that I actually want to see. :lol:
they are pretty big youtube channels as you might already know. The problem with youtube and big channels is that once you click one or two videos and actually watch them (so more min) then it would stay in your recomendations list, specially if the rest of the content you watch is related to it. For example the other day I decided to watch a couple of fail army videos as the chanels I follow got nothing new. Not my recomendations list is amde up of 80% fail army stuff. It would go away in a couple of days once I wont click into any, or any realated content

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
they are pretty big youtube channels as you might already know. The problem with youtube and big channels is that once you click one or two videos and actually watch them (so more min) then it would stay in your recomendations list, specially if the rest of the content you watch is related to it. For example the other day I decided to watch a couple of fail army videos as the chanels I follow got nothing new. Not my recomendations list is amde up of 80% fail army stuff. It would go away in a couple of days once I wont click into any, or any realated content
I mean, Music is Win sounds vaguely familiar, but I don't even recognize the other dude's name. :shrug: