Combo amp for old prog rock, versatility

UnattendedGolfcart

SSO's Fat Mac
Reaction score
I'm looking for a combo amp that I can primarily play progressive rock on. Stuff like Yes, Rush, King Crimson, Porcupine Tree, Genesis, primarily a type of amp that I can throw a lot of effects at. I also have an overdrive and a fuzz so I'll be putting some distortion on it at times but not the majority of the time. I want a combo because I need something easily transportable that can play good with a band practice and small gigs.

My budget is not high, looking primarily in the $500-$700 range. So far a few good one's I've played/seen:

Blackstar HT Club 40 - I played this and honestly liked it a lot so it's up there for me, the cleans were good but I didn't get to try any effects with it and the distortion worked for me

Roland JC 40 - I haven't tried this but it sounds gorgeous in every video and having an onboard chorus would be cool since I don't have a chorus pedal

Peavey Class 30/Valveking II 50 - I haven't tried either of these but they're in my price range

My primary concern is that I want a great clean channel, as good as I can find. The Roland seems like the best option out of the ones I listed. I want to throw some effects on it as well as an overdrive and fuzz so having great onboard distortion isn't critical here.

What would you all recommend? Any brands I'm missing? Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I'd also check out the Egnater Renegade and/or 4100. Pretty versatile amps with nice cleans and drive channels that are great for rock/similar. I've never been one to use fuzz or distortion boxes, but I imagine the clean channel of each would be a good platform for some.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Classic 30 would be the best of the bunch, IMO.

You can probably find a Silverface combo of sorts in your pricerange as well, or a Fender MiM tube amp.
Maybe even a Mesa Lonestar or F30?

Thrashmaster

Reaction score
I'd second the mesa f30. seek one out in good shape should set you back in the 700 range. its a stunning amp. 2 channel with reverb and a loop. clean channel takes pedals well. drive channel has a crunch and a contour (footswitchable) and does well with modulation and delay. next to my engl my f30 is a goto amp. its def. the one i grab when im going to a jam or bar gig. ive never been in a situation where it didnt cut it.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
If you're willing to shop for something older, I've a few suggestions. Roland JC120 has legendary cleans, it's the gold standard for all the shoegaze nerds. Music Man HD130 is basically the final improvement on the Fender Twin, likewise excellent cleans. I love my HD130 and doubt I'll ever replace it. Takes pedals like a champ, and has really cool, unique sounding trem. You can find either amp in your price range easily enough.

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
Used Mesa (any model that can be found within your price range) over all of those options. It'll hold its value and will be a class amp.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Fender red knob twin.

protest

Reaction score
How do you feel about EL84's? There's two VHT Pittbull 45's on GC's used site in your price range.

beneharris

Reaction score
I was going to suggest an old Mesa Mark series. But then I thought about it, and I played with a guy who had the classic 50 head, and that sounded miles better than my Mesa. So look out for one of those, they are incredible.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Classic 30 would be the best of the bunch, IMO.

You can probably find a Silverface combo of sorts in your pricerange as well, or a Fender MiM tube amp.
Maybe even a Mesa Lonestar or F30?

I was going to like this, but seem to have lost the like button....Classic 30 should get the job done perfectly