Commercial Ukelele Music And Its Effect On People

• Thread starter MetalHex
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MetalHex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I am really good at picking up on trends before most people do. I notice this trend starting at least 10 years ago....the trend that alot of TV commercials uses the same musical formula. The main thing is the soft strumming of the ukelele in 4/4 time (sometimes acoustic guitar), followed by half or whole notes on the glockenspiel bells, accompanied with either snapping fingers or hand-clapping with someone whistling a melodic line over the top of it all.

You hear it in SO many commercials....like food/pet food commericals, prescription medication, car commercials, clothing commercials. You name it.

Of course this is not by accident. They use this as a marketing tool because it puts people in a happy, cheery, tranquil, gleeful mood, and it probably makes them feel good about buying whatever it is they are being sold. Its the perfect formula and if it wasnt, then this music wouldnt be so prevalent on TV. Im sure other people have noticed this too....but I would bet that there is a ton of people who havent even noticed this trend. (This brainwashing tactic is coming out of the Tavistock Institute.)

This is kind of a rant but I've been wanting to get this off my chest and would like to hear if anyone has anything to say about this.

Avedas

Reaction score
Yep it sounds awful and is beyond overdone. I guess it helps that it's commercial free

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Makes me glad I haven't tuned into an actual television in ages, the amount of commercial breaks is damn near infuriating now that I get all my media and entertainment from other facets like Youtube/Twitch/etc.

At least online I feel like they make ads more interesting to trudge through.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

A-Branger

Reaction score
same. I dont even own a tv. and why, the internet is there with all the movies/tv shows and youtube stuff

as for that kind of music. yyyyup, thats been around for ages. Its the stereotype classic singer/songwriter. The "oh my daughter is a musician and she sings beautifuly", its the "guy playing music a the pub", the basking girl/guy on the bussy street. Its the music hired for street family festivals, for weddings, for afternoon bars, ect ect ect. Its the "I dont need a band, I can play by myself...... OR, I can sing very well so I jsut team with an acoustic player", its the reason why theres such a market for stomp boxes and for Cajon, even when a Cajon is made for flamenco music.

but yup. around 8 years ago I was doing live sound for a venue and 80% of artist playing there where those knife in the heart same beat acoustic strumming trying too hard singing solos with the occational ukulele, mostly played by girls (never really seen an ukulele by a guy on a live setting tho), also those girls have a tendency to try to sing on a lower pitched voice too

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
At this point YouTube is where TV has always been -> Soooo many ads. Ad before the video. Pause for two back to back ads at arbitrary points in the video. More ads at the end.

Bit of a stretch to say that "using cheerful music in your ads" is brainwashing though. What exactly is the alternative? Are you expecting blast beats over laundry detergent facts?

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
At this point YouTube is where TV has always been -> Soooo many ads. Ad before the video. Pause for two back to back ads at arbitrary points in the video. More ads at the end.

Bit of a stretch to say that "using cheerful music in your ads" is brainwashing though. What exactly is the alternative? Are you expecting blast beats over laundry detergent facts?

He's expecting variety, is what I got from it not blaring death metal instrumentals :lol:

Also consider Youtube Premium, I use it to get music streaming with Google Play/Youtube Music and it comes bundled in the package so you don't get ads and you get access to movies and original series. Hell of a better deal than cable TV, so it was a very simple choice for me to make.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
It's definitely noticeable, and twee ukulele music does make me want to shave out my eardrums, but I'd hardly call it brainwashing. It does the same thing that effective advertising should, by causing the person watching to associate the product with positive emotions. It's not really anymore insidious than life insurance commercials that feature fathers and sons on fishing trips, though. I'd warrant that we notice it more readily simply because we're musicians.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
The differences between was TV was and what the internet is are getting narrower and narrower as time goes on. "It comes bundled in the package" is exactly the kind of thing you'd expect to hear from your TV provider.
We're gonna be right back where we were before soon enough. Streaming services with offer a cheaper, ad-riddled version (basic cable) or a premium version with no ads that you pay more for (premium cable) and you'll have to buy 2-3 services at a time or pay a little more...\

OT - I don't even watch broadcast television anymore and usually scroll on my phone when ads that I can't skip show up online, so I honestly haven't noticed.

jaxadam

Reaction score
I’ve never really noticed, because they never show any of that during COPS (the original reality TV) or Judge Judy.

MetalHex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
But thats the point, there is a reason they dont use blast beats in a laundry commercial. To me it would make no difference what the music was, as I can read between the lines and am aware of the subliminal subversion that they use in order to extract maximum profits. Not saying bad or good either way, but its just so annoying that they use this music that all sounds virtually the same. Like, exactly the same, and nothing else.

MetalHex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I’ve never really noticed, because they never show any of that during COPS (the original reality TV) or Judge Judy.
No. Because during those shows they show attorney law offices type commercials where they play the most suspenseful, dramatic, dead-serious war drum-beating type music, in order to get you to "mean business" about getting off your ass and picking up that ohone and making that lawsuit that youve been meaning to get around to:rofl:

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
subliminal subversion
Again, what subversion is happening exactly? Is there a lack of transparency in that they want you to experience positive emotions while thinking about their product? Given that this is exactly the expectation, there's no subversion happening.

jaxadam

Reaction score
No. Because during those shows they show attorney law offices type commercials where they play the most suspenseful, dramatic, dead-serious war drum-beating type music, in order to get you to "mean business" about getting off your ass and picking up that ohone and making that lawsuit that youve been meaning to get around to:rofl:

I keep asking Comcast if they can just offer me the poor white trash package, with Cops, Judge Judy, and Jerry Springer. That’s all I’d need!

Latest posts