Considering A First Seven

• Thread starter kam4ff
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kam4ff

Reaction score
So Ive been playing about 8 years and really want a 7. Its either a Schecter Hellraiser 7 FR in white or black cherry, an RG 1527M, or something else around there. Im really not sure what I should be looking for but Im used to using a thick neck so size wont be an issue for me. Any suggestions?

WickedSymphony

Reaction score
I'm sure most people around here will recommend you take a look at Agile guitars. I don't have any personal experience with them but they get a lot of love around here. Also, since the choices you listed are around the same price range you might want to look at a Jackson SLAT3-7 as another option.

If you could give any other personal preferences I'm sure others will be able to chime in with some great advice.

Insanity

Nurturer
Reaction score
Well. How thick of a neck do you like?.
Are you ok with alot of weight to your guitars?.
Do you prefer Active to passive pups on your axes?.
There's alot to consider and to honest we cant really tell you which is better.
You should also always try the instrument before buying.
But I'll tell you my own personal experience.

I myself own a Schecter Hellraiser c7 FR.
Its a monster guitar and can be hard for most people to play due to weight and the size of the neck. Its a neckthrough with active EMG 707's and the sustain is killer.
The paint on it is sublime and even though I've had it for almost a year now I havent managed to scratch or scrape the guitar at all.
However It could use a thinner neck and a deeper cut-away for better access to the higher frets. Its kinda tricky getting up there sometimes.
So for heavy-duty chunky rythm and light lead playing this guitar is fantastic. I love it!.

Now onto the Ibanez.
I'm actually looking for one now as I'm leaning into a more leadplaying style of playing.
The neck on this is really nice and slimmed and its also a bolt-on which incase you happen to break the headstock or the neck you have more options to fix it.
The body is a basswood I belive and due to the design it's got less sustain. Nothing that really bothers me tbh.
The stock pups on the guitar doesnt really catch up to the price of it and I would recommend changing them out. I myself would put some DiMarzio's in em.
The fretwork on the ones I've played has been really smooth and they've had really deep cut-aways on the lower horns to allow easy access the the lower frets.
They also come with really nice hard-cases unlike the schecters.

Like I said. Aloooot to consider. Hope this helps!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kam4ff

Reaction score
I bought the Schetcer. I play a Les Paul Custom so weight isnt an issue and neither is neck size. I picked the red one but if the color isnt what I expect it to be I plan on exchanging it for the black one. so far Im really excited to get the guitar and I cant wait for it to get here. if the playability blows though, Im gonna return it and probably buy an Agile or the RG1527M or ask for more suggestions. Thanks guys.