Considering Ibanez RG852MPB but worried about action?

• Thread starter nilenecrophagist
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nilenecrophagist

Reaction score
basically, Im considering getting the Ibanez RG852MPB which has the Gibraltar Standard II bridge (looks like this)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b356/haydnhoffman/IMG_0056.jpg

I have several other Ibanez Prestiges which are set up with gauge 9 (super slinky) strings with very low action, all have floating Edge tremolos of various kinds (I havent owned a fixed bridge guitar for years) Because they sink into the body, the floating bridge allow you to put the action as low as you like. I am worrried that being that I like the action as low as it will go, that I might not be able to achieve the same as my other guitars on this guitar.

Anyone know anything?

You

þ
Reaction score
Considering that it is an Ibanez Guitar, I bear little worries that you will achieve your desired action.

If not, then perhaps visit a guitar tech for assistance.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
The Gibraltar 2 bridge allows you to adjust the height of each saddle so you can adjust it to go as low as you want.
Barring any construction issues with this instrument (not overly likely with Prestige instruments) you should be able to get very low action.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
On both of my Ibbys with Gibraltars there was room to move the saddles lower than the frets so you won't have any problems. Depending how you like your guitars setup you might need to shim the neck.

exo

Reaction score
I own this exact model. PLENTY of adjustment room. Can easily drop the 8the string so low as to be unusable.

ExileMetal

Reaction score
I also have this model, got it from IbanezRules and it has very low action and plays amazingly.

exo

Reaction score
awesome, do you have your action very low?

I've found that stupid low action is detrimental on the low strings, but I'm also fairly aggressive with my pick. The equipment is CAPABLE of it.....but there's a lot of travel/excursion when those low strings when playing, just a physics thing; you're probably gonna NEED to be set up a little higher action wise on the 7th and 8th, and that will likely hold true on just about any 8 strong out there. The rest of the neck, set it up as low as you like.

vick1000

Reaction score
I have the original 852, and it can get very low even without the set screws poking out. Mine has action as low as it can go with minimal buzz, and the set screws are flush with the saddles or lower on all saddles. Mine is set to about 1.5mm above the 12th fret, on the 7th and 8th, and 1mm or lower on the rest of the strings.

MickD7

Reaction score
I've got one of the original 852's and the 852MPB both have the action set very low with minimal fret buzz on either one I'd you would be pretty happy with it.

Petar Bogdanov

Reaction score
Since the saddles are individually adjustable, consider getting a set of under-string radius gauges to be able to precisely match the setup of your locking trem guitars. They take a whole lot of guessing out of a setup.

nilenecrophagist

Reaction score
cool, thanks for your help guys.

To any of you guys who have this model, I don't suppose any of you are interested in selling it? if you are, please let me know!