Contemplating selling my EVH 5153 and going the Axe FX route

• Thread starter AussieTerry
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jclogston

Reaction score
I had the evh 50 watt 6l6 head and play at home only. When my daughter was born, I figured having a tube amp would be pointless so I sold it and went ampless for about 2 .5 years. I ended up down the rabbit hole looking for distortion pedals. I ended up buying a lbx-s head and am happy again. I spent more time screwing around with pedals and what little time I did have to play, it wasn't good. The evh heads sound fine at low volumes so I would stick with it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
Yeah actually you already have an amp that has great tones in it and the ability to play it through your computer. It sounds like you don't really need to do anything at all. You mention potentially selling your cab. If you're itching to do something, just do that.

Bearitone

Reaction score
Just curious, since you’re already getting good tones from your computer, why get an Axe at all?
Plug-ins, Neural, and all that seem to keep desk players pretty happy.

I’m speaking from a position of ignorance, I use lunch box amps and pedals into cabs. Never delved into the anything that involves me linking a computer.

Werecow

Reaction score
Yeah actually you already have an amp that has great tones in it and the ability to play it through your computer. It sounds like you don't really need to do anything at all. You mention potentially selling your cab. If you're itching to do something, just do that.
I'd agree with this. Also, the 5153 50w is the best amp i've ever used for low volume playing. I regularly use mine through a cab in the middle of the night at pretty much the same volume as my strings make accoustically, and it still sounds great to me.
I'd just use the computer for when you 100% need headphones and keep the amp. You'll eventually find times to be able to use the amp more and more again. Plus, an Axe Fx is so bloody expensive... especially compared to just being able to do nothing as Deadpool said.

KailM

Reaction score
I played my EVH with my infant son sleeping right in front of my 412 cab this afternoon. Sounded great, and didn’t wake him up.

I don’t understand what’s so hard about simply turning the volume down.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
I played my EVH with my infant son sleeping right in front of my 412 cab this afternoon. Sounded great, and didn’t wake him up.

I don’t understand what’s so hard about simply turning the volume down.
An Axe-Fx III is a very different experience to a tube amp turned all the way down

stingray87

Reaction score
As a player for 20 years always playing analog amps and pedals I decided to try go with plugins. I had the problem of having only my 100w Mesa dual rectifier that sounded mushed at the low bedrooms level. I bought a deasent pair of studio monitors, sound card and the petrucci plugin. I couldn't be more happy with that decision for home playing and making quick demo through reaper. I always have the option of playing my mesa but now I keep it at the rehearsal room were it shines. I think the ax FX is a tool for the touring musician and priced as one. But I always say do what you think is right.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
Don't sleep on the Helix stuff. I've always been a real amp guy live with something like the Stomp and before that the 1101 for multi fx and channel switching. But I just played a party with my Stomp and it was great. I still used tube power and a cab but have direct to the board cabs and they're great.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
I had a 150 watt Mesa half stack during the infant years of my kids. Just don’t turn up while they’re sleeping. Easy as that. Record in the box at night when they’re sleeping. Reamp it later if you want the sound of your amp and cab. But a modeler if you want a modeler. There’s no sense in having gear you’ll never or rarely use unless you like hoarding gear and taking pictures of it. I want a modeler because I like having tons of sounds available, and don’t want to have 40 guitar amps. I use solid state heads live because I like how stable they are and how responsive they are. You know what will work for you. Don’t compromise that and don’t let people on the internet tell your you’re wrong. You may be wrong for what they think is best. But likely not for what you are looking for.

Nitro

Reaction score
my 2c:

why buy an axefx when you already have a computer with a DAW that can load any plugin you want.
buy some good headphones and you're done.

keep the amp and cab for occasions that require loud.
I 100% agree with this. Don't waste your money on a modeller for home when you have a PC or laptop.

I've also got a 50W 5153, and have gone through periods where I don't use it at all - just use plugins on the PC (my go-to is BiasFX 2 - but there's plenty out there, including freebies).

I also have a Helix floor which I bought for gigging (cause I'm too old and lazy to lug around a tube amp and cab - always use it direct to PA), and basically never use that at home. Plugging straight into the PC/laptop with audio interface is SO much easier and quicker - so that's what use when I only have limited time to squeeze in some practice.

When I have time and opportunity, I still use the 5153 and love it. But for quiet and easy, PC (or Mac) is the undisputed champion.

AussieTerry

Reaction score
Yeqh im gonna sell my cab and get some studio monitors first, i hooked my 5153 upto my pc speakers just for a crappy taste test but i think its what id be more inclined for.

Even if i get a pair of cheap Behringer studio monitors.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
I 100% agree with this. Don't waste your money on a modeller for home when you have a PC or laptop.

I've also got a 50W 5153, and have gone through periods where I don't use it at all - just use plugins on the PC (my go-to is BiasFX 2 - but there's plenty out there, including freebies).

I also have a Helix floor which I bought for gigging (cause I'm too old and lazy to lug around a tube amp and cab - always use it direct to PA), and basically never use that at home. Plugging straight into the PC/laptop with audio interface is SO much easier and quicker - so that's what use when I only have limited time to squeeze in some practice.

When I have time and opportunity, I still use the 5153 and love it. But for quiet and easy, PC (or Mac) is the undisputed champion.
Kind of ridiculous. I'd take my Axe-Fx over plugins any day of the week and twice on Sunday, and it's just as easy to plug a Helix or Axe-Fx into your computer as it is to plug your guitar in so you can't really make that argument either. Bonus points for not having to load up a DAW just to practice. Extra bonus points for not being tied to a whole goddamn computer to practice, especially if you only have a desktop or your laptop isn't very powerful.

owlexifry

Reaction score
Kind of ridiculous. I'd take my Axe-Fx over plugins any day of the week and twice on Sunday, and it's just as easy to plug a Helix or Axe-Fx into your computer as it is to plug your guitar in so you can't really make that argument either. Bonus points for not having to load up a DAW just to practice. Extra bonus points for not being tied to a whole goddamn computer to practice, especially if you only have a desktop or your laptop isn't very powerful.
you know what's kind of ridiculous.. the axefx iii retails for almost 5 grand in australia.

5 grand.
boy howdy.

crimson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I love my axe fx and I also have a combo amp for whatever reason haha.

Reet

Reaction score
I did this exact move for an Axe 2 rig. Then i sold that and bought another 5153 with an fx8. Then i sold that and have an fm9. No regrets. I use out 1 to FOH and out 3 to a powerstage 170 through a mesa 2x12. Best of both worlds. I have a splawn quickrod and often i'll fire it up and A B the fm9 through the powerstage vs the splawn. Its so damn close feel and sound wise and i'm not even trying to copy the splawn i'm using FAS amps. Thats "in the room" sound through mesa 2x12. I recommend the fm9. The fractal stuff really is nuts now.

shredmonster76

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm in the process of doing this also. I bought an FM3 about 2 years ago and almost immediately stopped using my evh stealth. I always play through a cabinet because I like to feel it in the room. I am now using a KSR PA25 and KSR 2x12 cabinet to replace my mesa 4x12 and EVH stealth. Now I just just have to sell all the unused gear.

Strobe

Reaction score
I am playing 80% on my Kemper next to my computer with guitar pro tabs. That's how I practice most of the time. Live has mostly been with real amps, but I have played with a Kemper/FR cab live as well and it works great (depending on their sound system, often better because of the flexibility to direct out). Getting a modeler system is one of the best gear purchases I have made and I have zero regrets. Go for it!