Converting hardwood cab to hardwood headshell?

• Thread starter narad
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
So I often come across Mesa hardwood cabs, usually with amps already in them, but you can almost never find an original Mesa hardwood headshell to buy in such nice woods, like walnut, imbuya, etc. I've thought about maybe buying one of the combo cabs and converting it to a headshell. This would presumably involve reusing the bottom piece of wood, cutting both sides, dovetailing them, and connecting up to the bottom piece, but I'm not sure how the dovetail joinery is achieved. I've seen dovetails done with 2 flat pieces of wood, that after they have been hammered and glued in, are sanded down into a smooth corner. It seems like this would be nearly impossible to undo.

Any thoughts on whether this would be achievable?

This is the type of cab I'm referring to:

MK5-9140-3_1200x.jpg

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The amount of effort involved, if you knew someone who would be willing to do the conversion, it would be probably be cheaper and easier for them to just make a new headshell from scratch.

You're correct, in that separating joins like that isn't preferable, so they'd probably just cut down the cab, make new dovetails, and fit a new bottom piece anyway.

If you were willing to sacrifice the look, they could probably just use a more simple joint (rabbet, butt, e.) at the bottom, not as clean or sturdy, but it's not like this will see a lot of knocking around.

narad

Reaction score
Yea sort of figured as much. It's a shame because Mesa was charging $1500-2k back when they were still offering this (and I don't think they're even doing that anymore). So if you want an authentic headshell then there's really no option that doesn't have you bending over one way or another for it.

If you were willing to sacrifice the look,
Nevaaar!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yea sort of figured as much. It's a shame because Mesa was charging $1500-2k back when they were still offering this (and I don't think they're even doing that anymore). So if you want an authentic headshell then there's really no option that doesn't have you bending over one way or another for it.

Nevaaar!

That pricing is straight up criminal.

You're looking at like $50 in materials, including consumables, and maybe three hours of work not including drying/curing time.

Fucking ouch.

I don't think a "chopped authentic" vs. "nice new non-Mesa" is really much of a sell one way or another.

Just get something made, then you can choose your exact woods and joinery.

I follow a handful of Japanese woodworking accounts on the socials, so it seems there's a healthy community domestically. Maybe explore that?

narad

Reaction score
That pricing is straight up criminal.

You're looking at like $50 in materials, including consumables, and maybe three hours of work not including drying/curing time.

Fucking ouch.

I don't think a "chopped authentic" vs. "nice new non-Mesa" is really much of a sell one way or another.

Just get something made, then you can choose your exact woods and joinery.

I follow a handful of Japanese woodworking accounts on the socials, so it seems there's a healthy community domestically. Maybe explore that?
Any suggestions? Sounds like something I should be into.