Cool interview with Devin, Tosin and Petrucci

• Thread starter Kwert
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SpinalTap

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Devin did seem a little out of place but that's only because it was only focused on guitar.

I don't know how far through you watched - I thought the same, but there are several times later on when he blows all their minds with his approach and perspective. Cool to see a couple of GOATs reacting with 'woah, that's a really fucking good idea'...

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't know how far through you watched - I thought the same, but there are several times later on when he blows all their minds with his approach and perspective. Cool to see a couple of GOATs reacting with 'woah, that's a really fucking good idea'...
I thought this was super cool, way better than I thought it would be. They each had a very different perspective, and it was cool that at various times the others would be like "that's a cool thought".

Big moments for me:
i) Trooch's observation that "life is not in 4/4 time".
ii) Devin's morning practice routine with watching train videos.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ArtDecade

Barking Pumpkin
Reaction score
I would watch Devin make his morning coffee. Such a cool guy. This was a really fun video.
U5drYrpuHRZTgKnLFWHqwoinMuh3mHQ_1680x8400.jpg

Noisy Humbucker

Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.
Reaction score
This just goes to show you that no matter how learned or successful you are, you still sound like a dork when trying to explain nerdy guitar stuff, and I love that.

There were parts where I - Joe Blow - wanted to chime in with my own nonsensical analogies.

GUITAR NERDS UNITE!!!

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Watched the video in the background while doing other things....
I feel like the thing that stuck out was the leading questions about digital vs. tubes, which IMO fits with the whole "not everyone's a fan of Beato" thing. All three of them seemed to want to say they like both, and they're both just tools, and they both have their pros and cons, but Beato kept trying to lead the questions in way that implied those two workflows are in conflict, or that one has to win over the other.

I don't watch a lot of Beato content, 'cause he strikes me as one of those old-school, brand fanatic, hero worship, everything is an us-vs-them kind of guitarists. A sort of discount Glen Ficker without the senseless yelling. I'm glad he mostly just let everyone talk for most of the video.

ArtDecade

Barking Pumpkin
Reaction score
I don't watch a lot of Beato content, 'cause he strikes me as one of those old-school, brand fanatic, hero worship, everything is an us-vs-them kind of guitarists. A sort of discount Glen Ficker without the senseless yelling. I'm glad he mostly just let everyone talk for most of the video.

I feel seen. Thank you.

The Mirror

Reaction score
I've literally never listened to any of Devin's work. Someone give me their top ten Devin songs I should listen to.

Devin is very much a album artist. I basically never just listen to a single song of his.

Start with 1997 (Ocean Machine and City) and you are good to go in any direction. Those two records are also generally being regarded as the best he ever did, which is a totally valid opinion.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Aside from Strapping Young Lad, the only Devin album I care about is Ziltoid, I've tried the others but ultimately they're just not for me; he's got some cool gems on the albums but overall, eh.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I've literally never listened to any of Devin's work. Someone give me their top ten Devin songs I should listen to.
There's soooo much material to pick from, and so much of it is vastly different than other content. It's hard to narrow down, but lets see what happens if I try to get some coverage over the whole picture of what his material (that I like) is....

Deep Peace
Deadhead
Triumph
Hyperdrive
Disruptr
Juular
Kawaii
Bones
Failure
Sprite (specifically the version from Order of Magnitude)

mastapimp

Reaction score
He's all over the place and he puts out so much stuff it's often hard to keep track of all of it. I prefer his heavy stuff over the ambient mood music he also puts out.

Here's some of my favorites:
All Hail the New Flesh (Strapping Young Lad)
Love? (Strapping Young Lad)
The New Black (Strapping Young Lad)
Aftermath (Strapping Young Lad)
Deadhead
Triumph (has one of Steve Vai's coolest guest solos)
Hyperdrive
Earth Day
Truth
Factions (killer Wes Hauch solos)