Could anyone replace Warrel Dane ?

• Thread starter kmanick
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
Since I've gotten back into playing 7's again I've been jamming to a lot of Nevermore. I never got the chance to see them live.
Is there anyone out there that could replace Warrell and not totally sound like ass? I'd love to see a version 2 of Nevermore.
Loomis and Van Williams playing is just so killer on so many tracks, I know it will not ever happen but man some of this stuff is just so good
Seeing Loomis and Broderick together live would be so f'n killer

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Surveyor 777

I measure things
Reaction score
This really is funny (to me, at least) that you brought this up. Over Thanksgiving I was going on walks every day and taking my iPod with me. I would select Nevermore and hit shuffle.

And I was actually thinking this as I was walking - I don't know of anyone who could replace Warrel. During some songs he might sound similar to other singers but overall he was one of a kind.

So my answer is no.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
This really is funny (to me, at least) that you brought this up. Over Thanksgiving I was going on walks every day and taking my iPod with me. I would select Nevermore and hit shuffle.

And I was actually thinking this as I was walking - I don't know of anyone who could replace Warrel. During some songs he might sound similar to other singers but overall he was one of a kind.

So my answer is no.
Only person I found that's similar is Tim of Control Denied, and even he's a pretty far cry. From what I've read Chuck actually wanted Warrel to front CD at first (as well as Rob Haford), but Tim was the one that got back in contact with him.

Werecow

Reaction score
Big Nevermore fan here. This has always seemed to have slipped under the radar, but Steve Smyth (formerly of Nevermore) had a sorta Nevermore 2.0 band for a while. And as Steve wrote for Nevermore, you can hear it coming through in the music.
The singer on the second album had some pretty good high screaming going at times. Not sure if he could manage the actual Nevermore stuff though.

The screaming only really gets going from about halfway.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Only person I found that's similar is Tim of Control Denied, and even he's a pretty far cry. From what I've read Chuck actually wanted Warrel to front CD at first (as well as Rob Haford), but Tim was the one that got back in contact with him.
Well, Tim wouldn't be doing it, because he's also dead. Titanic talent, interesting guy

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
I think Warrel did get back to Chuck (they had toured together) but said he was pretty much focused on Nevermore.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I think Warrel did get back to Chuck (they had toured together) but said he was pretty much focused on Nevermore.

Label restrictions kept Warrel from doing it
Yeah I was initially going by some interview Tim himself did, but someone clarified to me that Warrel was actually pretty close to doing it until "logistics" got in the way.
That fucking blows, Control Denied fronted by Warrel would have been amazing.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
My answer is always going to be no. As a huge Sanctuary and Nevermore fan, Warrel was one of my favorite vocalists, and Nevermore doesn't work without him
I sadly have to agree.
I can't think of anyone that sounds remotely like him. I know a lot of people love nevermore , hate the vocals, I always thought the vocals were one of the things that made them so unique.
this is pretty funny, they love the instrumentation and the lyrics but don't like his "operatic" style of singing.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I've heard a lot of vocalists in my day, and even now this just finally clicked for me as someone who could come even close to his style of singing now that Kmanick has quoted them as saying "operatic" (I word I wouldn't have thought to use, but is fitting) - Marco Hietala from Nightwish.

He's the only other person I can think of with a similar timber to Warrel's voice, and even then it's not exact, just SIMILAR. It's like trying to find another Layne for AIC after he passed, so you might find someone who fits, but it'll never be the same band.

jco5055

Reaction score
Nevemore was (Is?) one of my favorite bands, and Warrel was a good vocalist, but I'll be honest I was really there for Jeff's riffs/solos mostly.

My first impression of his vocals actually was something like "sounds like Geoff Tate but if Geoff kinda sung lower, never did the high stuff" since I'm sure everyone here is aware Warrel really only did the high 80s style singing in Sanctuary mostly.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Nevemore was (Is?) one of my favorite bands, and Warrel was a good vocalist, but I'll be honest I was really there for Jeff's riffs/solos mostly.

My first impression of his vocals actually was something like "sounds like Geoff Tate but if Geoff kinda sung lower, never did the high stuff" since I'm sure everyone here is aware Warrel really only did the high 80s style singing in Sanctuary mostly.
Nah he did higher-pitched stuff in early Nevermore stuff as well. He quit doing it around the time of Dead Heart.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
I was a huge Sanctuary fan and didn't find out about Nevermore until . . . let's just say much later. I really haven't listened to much of them, but keep meaning to rectify that.

There's a couple tunes on the first Sanctuary albums that, if you listen to them while you're on the verge of sleep, Warrel's voice just takes you to like some other plane of existence. I used to listen to them falling asleep at night specifically because of that. It was like a kick-start into lucid dreaming.

HoneyNut

Regular
Reaction score
Not to derail, but James Keenan/Jeff Loomis project would be really cool. Particularly if they did something ingenious considering their exclusive styles.

Another, Keenan with Jerry Cantrell

Everlast with Guthrie Govan

Dave Matthews with Guthrie Govan!!! Oof

Phil Anselmo with Michael Romeo!! Imagine that!

Phil Anselmo with Nuno Bettencourt

Of course, Hetfield with Cantrell (acoustic album)

Vogg (Decapitated) with Per Nilson

James Keenan with Mike Einziger!

Adam Jones with Bjork

😔

Velokki

GAS station
Reaction score
I'm just practicing River Dragon, and I miss Nevermore dearly. I saw them in 2010 in the end, they still performed very well even though Warrel wasn't in his prime.

To be honest, I'd kill for a Nevermore reunion tour. Sure if there was an open audition on the internet, they would find a great singer for the job. He would never match Warrel - and I wouldn't care. I'd just love to be reunited with fellow Nevermore fans in the style of "Death For All", and have a night of Loomis and the boys playing all the legendary tunes live. One can dream.

Latest posts