Couple Questions on Purchasing a 7 String

• Thread starter ayru
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ayru

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've been considering getting a seven string for a couple years and finally want to make that a reality.

I'm mostly looking at the Schecter Omen Elites at present (willing to hear other suggestions) and am curious as to the benefits of multiscale versus a 26.5". I've read that the multiscale provides better string tension overall but have also read that unless you're looking to do really low tunings a 26.5" would be adequate.

Also, when it comes to tunings are most people just dropping the low B? I've done drop D and such on my 6 strings but usually keep them tuned down a half step to Eb . . . is it appropriate to down tune all the strings or would that create issues with string tension, tone, and playability? Sorry if it's a rudimentary question but just trying to better understand the tuning options.

Thanks in advance.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PuckishGuitar

Wife has Dior, I have ESP
Reaction score
Multiscale as I understand it just helps with the intonation across the strings by giving you effectively different scale lengths and subsequent tensions on each string and makes it feel more uniform. Unless you roll your own set of strings most manufacturers still don’t give anything close to balanced tension sets for 7s, and this is where multiscales can step in to help. Someone else can go into detail more on multiscale, I’m usually just tuned a whole step down on my 26.5” Schecter and don’t find many intonation issues that vibrato can’t handle, and string tension is fine for me. I think most people can adapt to playing a multi scale so don’t let that stop you either.

There are two ways to view the tuning when starting out, either as a normal 6 with an extra low string (BEADGBE), or as a 6 with an extra high string by dropping the high G down a half step (BEADF#BE). So that’s two ways to play with tunings. And if doom players regularly play in B on a Les Paul, you shouldn’t have any issues getting to G# or F with the longer scale and the correct strings. Other common tunings are to drop tune just the low E and B strings, or drop the low B down to E to play octaves with the E (def get a different string for that, possibly recut the nut). Doing something like the latter may lend itself towards multiscale too. Those are some options at least to get started on playing a 7 and understanding how it all fits together with your style.

Edika

Reaction score
With a multiscale the benefit is that the higher strings do not get super bright and are easier to play, especially if you're tuning in B. I have a couple of 27" 7 strings and the increased scale makes them brighter sounding. I have them in A tuning and Drop G tuning so the higher strings are in D and still sound quite bright. I don't mind but a lot of players don't like that.
Plus there's the added tension on the high strings which can throw you off at the start. The cool thing is that you can use thinner strings for lower tuning, that add to brightness, without intonation issues. In the past I tried thicker strings at the suggestion of several 7 strings players but did not like the sound I was getting. So I'm all for the "thinnest things you can get away with" camp.

ayru

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
@Crungy I'm unsure but drop A / A standard is probably as far as I'd go . . . basing that on on my normal guitar if I do below drop D the tension is too flubby for me to like it. I've really been into Bell Witch lately (I know it's a bassist doing the heavy lifting there) but I just love the lower, fuzzy growl he gets.

tedtan

Reaction score
25.5” is fine down to at least A (either A standard or drop A), and may be OK below that with the right strings, too.

Longer scale lengths, like 26.5” for example, allow you to get more tension and better intonation (especially on the lower strings) on the strings while using lighter strings at the expense (or possible benefit) of being brighter sounding.

A multi scale/fan fret tries to split the difference giving you a “normal” playing experience on the higher strings and letting you use lighter strings for better tension and intonation on the lower strings. But in this case, you’ll have to adjust to the fanned frets, which may or may not make a difference for you.

Basically, determine what tuning(s) you’ll use and then go play some different guitars in your price range to see what works best for you.