Covid 19/Coronavirus

• Thread starter Ralyks
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Demiurge

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of apocalypse/zombie/pandemic/disaster movies but NONE of them showed people hoarding TP. Is this really the biggest fear, running out of toilet paper?

People in those types of movies never poop. Which is probably the least-realistic part because for many the body's stress-reaction includes, uh, unloading all unnecessary cargo.

ThePIGI King

Jiu Jitsu Enthusiast
Reaction score
Serious response: Turkey and Russia agreed to a cease fire in Syria. It takes a pandemic to get a cease fire in Syria, appareantly..
Yea but we signed a treaty or agreement or what have you with Afghanistan and I think it was 2 days later we got attacked :lol: the problem with who we are fighting is that there are so many small tribes and groups with little communication between them that even if we sign something, some other group could say screw that and then nothing changes.

@KnightBrolaire that'd be the worst :lol: I know I wouldn't want to be doing anything like that in Iran. Unless we trade them toilet paper and water and bleach for their nuclear program!

Cyanide_Anima

Weeee!
Reaction score
My idiot cousin thinks this is all part of the UN's agenda 21 plan to lower the population. She is constantly yammering and warning everyone to stockpile weapons and food because "they" are coming for us now with this virus. "They" plan on killing all of us who don't get sick with the coming vaccine after that. Blah blah blah. Stupid narcissistic bullshit. I think she spends all day on FB posting stupid bullshit and txting my mom and aunty this crazy shit and scaring the shit out of the elderly. Drives me crazy.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
My idiot cousin thinks this is all part of the UN's agenda 21 plan to lower the population. She is constantly yammering and warning everyone to stockpile weapons and food because "they" are coming for us now with this virus. "They" plan on killing all of us who don't get sick with the coming vaccine after that. Blah blah blah. Stupid narcissistic bullshit. I think she spends all day on FB posting stupid bullshit and txting my mom and aunty this crazy shit and scaring the shit out of the elderly. Drives me crazy.

I had a client yesterday who thinks North Korea sent the virus through China to put the blame on them and inact germ warfare. You'll hear some crazy shit.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Yeah, I see how that's frustrating to watch.

It's not really why things are done the way they are though. The general strategy is to send home anyone who *can* do their work from home without too much of an impact on the output. That tends to be more "white collar" jobs, but the intent isn't to just save those people from exposure. It's to get as many people as practical to avoid circulating unnecessarily. The overall rate of spread depends very directly on population density and contact. Having the people who can work from home do that helps protect those who can't as well (not just "grunt" workers, but health care professionals, emergency workers, and the people that keep essential services like electricity and water working).

We're at a point on the exponential growth curve where making even small improvements to the spread rate could make a huge difference on whether our entire health care system is overwhelmed or not and could mean thousands or millions of lives. The challenge is to maximize that without just shutting every business down. Shutting everything down and sending everyone home would basically put most companies out of business permanently, so they're trying to avoid that.

Honestly, if you are continuing to be employed throughout this whole situation, you are probably in a better position than a large segment of people who are just sent home to not work and won't be making any income at all or who lose their job because the company they work for goes out of business.

- I see what you're saying. My point was basically what you're saying. The entire point is under the guise of being safe etc, but that's really not what it is. It's really about how can they keep operations and money flowing while cutting as many people back as possible to try to prevent the spread. So they want to look like they're doing something while still making money, not actually do the most safe thing. That's why they're not cutting back people from the most obvious spots, because those people literally move the products. Sending them home would basically hault operations and now they'd lose millions of dollars. So money is still the goal, not human safety. I see why they're doing it this way though. It's because they want the best of all worlds.
- I see the NY Mayor banned all gatherings of 500 people or more, but yet again, they're not haulting that money train. Yes, people and business are losing money, but that's not their big money. They're not saying gatherings of thousands of people in the skyscrapers, that all walk through the same doors every day can't gather. That's thousands of people. It's a crowd because they are contained and walk through the same doors. They are enclosed. They're not shutting down that stock market. That's a gathering of over 500 people. So really it's just affecting smaller businesses and "regular" people and "regular" big business. Smaller meaning anything not in their immediate interest. Otherwise, shut it down if you mean it. Not this pick and choose who gets to do and not do a gathering. Since we're talking about a contagious virus, money shouldn't be a factor if they really mean it when they talk safety, but it is about money and control, otherwise you'd have to actually shut it all down and take the losses. I get why they're doin it though. They don't want chaos, so they control who they can which is "regular people"

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
They're not shutting down that stock market. That's a gathering of over 500 people. So really it's just affecting smaller businesses and "regular" people and "regular" big business. Smaller meaning anything not in their immediate interest. Otherwise, shut it down if you mean it. Not this pick and choose who gets to do and not do a gathering. Since we're talking about a contagious virus, money shouldn't be a factor if they really mean it when they talk safety, but it is about money and control, otherwise you'd have to actually shut it all down and take the losses. I get why they're doin it though. They don't want chaos, so they control who they can which is "regular people"
I think it's more complicated than you're making it out to be.

First, they ARE considering shutting down the physical trading floor and going remote - they were discussing plans this morning, and I would bet inside a week the trading floor is closed.

Second... What we're seeing is a divide between jobs that CAN be done remote, and jobs that can't. If you work for Amazon and your job is to model demand for a particular sort of product and maintain that supply chain, then you can do that relatively easily from home. There's no business impact from moving you off-site and it reduces the risk to the firm of contagion, so it's a pretty costless move. So, as a business, of course you do that. The problem is the guys you're talking about, the "guys who literally move the products," CAN'T do that from home. So, telling them to work from home is not an option, and telling them not to come in has an immediate severe business impact. So, that's probably not yoru first course of action.

Think of it this way - there MAY be a point where Amazon does tell their manual labor factory warehouse employees to stay home. When that happens, millions of people who have been depending on their ability to order necessities from Amazon during a quarantine are going to be fucked. That's a pretty ugly outcome, and if it comes tot hat, then things have gotten REALLY bad.

efiltsohg

Reaction score

a woman after my own heart...

wankerness

Reaction score
Cool, since my county is the only one doing tests, we're getting labelled the "hotspot" for the virus in the state. I mean, I'm glad someone in the county is actually following proper protocol, but ugh.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Cool, since my county is the only one doing tests, we're getting labelled the "hotspot" for the virus in the state. I mean, I'm glad someone in the county is actually following proper protocol, but ugh.

First confirmed case down here.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
I think it's more complicated than you're making it out to be.

First, they ARE considering shutting down the physical trading floor and going remote - they were discussing plans this morning, and I would bet inside a week the trading floor is closed.

Second... What we're seeing is a divide between jobs that CAN be done remote, and jobs that can't. If you work for Amazon and your job is to model demand for a particular sort of product and maintain that supply chain, then you can do that relatively easily from home. There's no business impact from moving you off-site and it reduces the risk to the firm of contagion, so it's a pretty costless move. So, as a business, of course you do that. The problem is the guys you're talking about, the "guys who literally move the products," CAN'T do that from home. So, telling them to work from home is not an option, and telling them not to come in has an immediate severe business impact. So, that's probably not yoru first course of action.

Think of it this way - there MAY be a point where Amazon does tell their manual labor factory warehouse employees to stay home. When that happens, millions of people who have been depending on their ability to order necessities from Amazon during a quarantine are going to be fucked. That's a pretty ugly outcome, and if it comes tot hat, then things have gotten REALLY bad.

- That makes sense.

- Trump has declared a national emergency now. They're talking about it on tv right now. They are on the case and say everything is going to be ok. I feel better already.

Dayviewer

Mr. Djelecaster
Reaction score
Our whole company (game dev studio) started working completely remotely from today for at least the coming 2 weeks.
We’ll do at least 2 video calls a day with the teams but I know I’m not gonna like sitting home alone, the job doesn’t require it but I just function better in the office, we’ll see where it goes though!

And yea, bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, disinfectant handgels and TP practically all sold out here as well.
Still managed to get food for about 6 days, hope to see the supermarket situations a bit more stabilized by then.
Interesting times for sure.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
- That makes sense.

- Trump has declared a national emergency now. They're talking about it on tv right now. They are on the case and say everything is going to be ok. I feel better already.
Trump is an idiot and is so far behind the ball I think the market reaction from his speech was painfully optimistic. He was bragging bout the low number of deaths and low case count, but again we're where Italy was 10 days ago, and the main reason our case count isn't higher than it is is we've barely done any testing.

The one good thing I caught, however, was waiving student loan payments for the duration of the emergency.

On my end, my firm made the decision to go mostly remote here, the office will be physically open but we're asking only people with low riisk of getting infected come in. As a guy dating a doctor who spends her days at the hospital, I'm high risk, so I'm staying remote. Feels weird to be saying goodbye to my coworkers for the foreseeable future.

Element0s

Low Fantasy/Black Denim
Reaction score
My girlfriend lives in Seattle and while she's been OK so far, the company she works for has been a zoo lately with regards to customers and management. I was supposed to go down for a visit this weekend but we've decided that I shouldn't--I'm expecting the border situation in Canada to tighten up pretty soon

Here in Vancouver they've canned all events over 250 people and are asking for anyone re-entering the country to voluntarily self-isolate for 2 weeks upon their return. Most workplaces and businesses are running with the current risk assessment of B.C. being "low" but I'm expecting things to blow up here over the next week.

Went to a Canadian equivalent to Wal-Mart last night to pick up a few things and it was pretty nutty. Lineups around the inside perimeter of the huge store, frozen food section and cleaning section 98% cleaned out. Never seen anything like it.

MrBouleDeBowling

Reaction score
All schools, colleges and universities are now closed for the next 2 weeks in Quebec province. All gathering over 250 people are banned untill futher notice. People are panic buying everywhere in my city. I live in a very remote region 8hrs from Montreal and we don't have a single confirmed case here and everybody think it's the apocalypse. I wanna punch everyone.

Yul Brynner

Custom title
Reaction score
I hope everyone still searching for TP realizes you can order a variety of cheap and functional bidets off Amazon. Save the environment, keep your ass clean, and avoid the lines :lol:
No way. Everyone is looting all the TP and I'm stocking up on all the adult diapers they are leaving on the shelves.