Covid 19/Coronavirus

• Thread starter Ralyks
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
People just don't fucking get it. My wife's boss ( trumper/ anti vaxer/ anti-masker/ hypocrite/ cunt) has been out sick for the past three days and my wife heard today that the bitch may have covid. Unsubstantiated but if true I hope it's not a variant that might put my wife ( fully vaccinated) at an elevated risk. Where she works... with thousands of people coming and going per day, I see maybe less than 30% still masking whenever I stop by.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
Is it a company with a HR department? If so, report the boss as they are potentially putting other worker's and visitor's health at risk.

If not, do you have a state health department that has any balls?

Edit: poor spelling, grammar.

Early on in the pandemic I contacted every state agency that I could because at that time her employer ( I felt) was not protecting it's employees. I got nowhere because the laws, mandates, etc were very loosely outlined along with interpretation and enforcement. Since that time, her company... like so many other Texas and/ or American companies, has all but abandoned any protocol or basic CDC guidance measures. Here in Texas our governor cancelled any/ all statewide mandates ( mask requirement being a big part of all this) and left it up to individual companies in terms of how they feel they want to address safety/ hygiene measures moving fwd. Pretty much most businesses have all but abandoned any measures to limit viral spread. TLDR version - The pandemic here in certain parts of the US has been all but forgotten now.

linthat22

Reaction score
People just don't fucking get it. My wife's boss ( trumper/ anti vaxer/ anti-masker/ hypocrite/ cunt) has been out sick for the past three days and my wife heard today that the bitch may have covid. Unsubstantiated but if true I hope it's not a variant that might put my wife ( fully vaccinated) at an elevated risk. Where she works... with thousands of people coming and going per day, I see maybe less than 30% still masking whenever I stop by.

Ugh, you sound like a lefty loon. Do you drive your car with rubber gloves on and a face mask too?

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I can't remember if I posted this already - I don't think I did - but I was kinda saddened recently when I checked in with an old friend of mine. She's got some issues (something similar to schizophrenia, but different in ways not worth getting into here) - and the short of it is that she doesn't really have the capacity to understand a lot of what's going on in the world. I asked if she had any trouble trying to book a vaccine appointment ('cause it's been a challenge in Ontario from what I understand) and she replied saying she wasn't going to do it at all because she doesn't trust it. It's tricky because she likely has no "real" reason to distrust it, but I also don't want to be pushy.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
It's tricky because she likely has no "real" reason to distrust it, but I also don't want to be pushy.

That is indeed a tricky situation. No right answers here, though I'd say "not being pushy" is a good approach. If it were me I would be concerned for their safety, but I tend to err on the side of honoring others' agency and I have a lot more room for understanding in cases like this than I do with people who refuse out of what amounts to privilege.

If anything, I would say personally that protecting people like your friend is precisely the responsibility the rest of us carry in getting vaccinated.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
I def understand vaccine hesitancy. The day that I made my appt for the first jab, I was apprehensive for sure. But with several of her fellow employees contracting the virus, several more being hospitalized, and two eventually dying... I had to just bite the bullet and do it. She was crazy scared that if she brought it home to my immune-compromised ass, that I'd wind up on a ventilator or worse. So glad that we're both now fully vaccinated. It's worth the peace of mind alone.

It's a shame that so many people no longer feel a need to get vaccinated. I don't think that a lot of these people were ever waiting to see how safe any of the vaccines were. I think they were just hoping that cases and deaths would decrease, and now that that's happening they have no intention on ever getting vaccinated.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Welp, guess here in NY, just about all restrictions are gone after June. It was fun while it lasted. C'mon kids, let's go home...

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I've worked remotely for six years now and that's always been the biggest challenge. Especially if you're like me and many of your non-work hobbies also involve being on the computer, so it's not even like you can just shut off the computer and go do something else. And being in the UK/EU while most of my coworkers in the US makes it worse because when my day should be ending, everyone else is just getting into gear and I start to get a flurry of messages and questions, and it's really easy for me to get pulled into those conversations. If you don't deal with it, you *will* eventually burn out.

My approach for the last few years that's worked pretty well is to set up a separate browser profile for work. Work slack, email, and everything else only goes into that browser. I don't have anything work related sent to my phone (if I really needed my phone for work, I'd buy a dedicated "work phone" for that). At the end of the day, when I get up to make dinner, I close the work browser and that makes me essentially un-contactable. If I'm on the computer after dinner, I would have to go well out of my way to even be aware of what's going on. My coworkers know how to reach me in a real emergency, but they'd have to be very deliberate about it.

I also try to make a point of doing something at the end of the day that gets me off the computer for an hour or two just to get me out of that mindset. I go for a walk, play guitar, draw, or play video games (console only). Anything to switch my brain out of work mode. I might get back on the computer later, but I'm much less likely to want to check in on work things.
I've coped in a similar manner.

• Early on, like literally the weekend we decided to go remote, I ordered a new laptop, partly because my desktop was too old to siupport a version of MacOS that supported two screens (yet, still runs a DAW like a champ - chalk one up to Apple), and partly because I didn't wqant to be working in a room with my guitars all along one wall next to me and my bike set up on a trainer behind me. When IT upgraded me to a VPN connection, I went as far as to set up a second user profile, a work one with all my telecommuncation stuff set up, and a personal one I use for verything else... though in practice I use my desktop far more than I switch profiles.
  • I take a proper lunch break every day I can, and either go out for a training ride outdoors, or a trainer spin indoors, to break up the work day.
  • At the end of the week, I break down my office setup (tabeltop standing desk, two screens, etc) on my dining table and pack it all up for the weekend.
  • I'm not great about scheduling someting to end the day, but most days I'll at least pick up a guitar for a few minutes before starting to cook dinner, and last year was pretty good about after work bike rides.
It all helps at the margins, I guess, and while I'm unquestionably burning out, that's more because my vrious responsibilities have grown to the point there's no realistic way one person can do them all. I'm just trying to convince my boss of that. :lol:

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
@StevenC - how're you feeling?
Still in ICU but nearly better. Got the clot scraped out on Friday and have been feeling better since then. Coordination is still all screwed up though. Hoping to be in a neurology ward tomorrow and then home over the weekend. I had severe migraine symptoms starting a week after the vaccine, went to hospital on Thursday morning and had a seizure in the emergency room. Rushed to the main hospital in Belfast after that. Mostly just exhausted from weird sleep, weird food and weird steroids.

Need to get out of hospital soon to actually know how well I am, because I'm losing my mind a bit here. ICU is crazy busy.

Going to be taking part in a hematology/genome study for this vaccine, which is exciting. There seems to have been single digit cases in Northern Ireland so far.

jaxadam

Reaction score
Still in ICU but nearly better. Got the clot scraped out on Friday and have been feeling better since then. Coordination is still all screwed up though. Hoping to be in a neurology ward tomorrow and then home over the weekend. I had severe migraine symptoms starting a week after the vaccine, went to hospital on Thursday morning and had a seizure in the emergency room. Rushed to the main hospital in Belfast after that. Mostly just exhausted from weird sleep, weird food and weird steroids.

Need to get out of hospital soon to actually know how well I am, because I'm losing my mind a bit here. ICU is crazy busy.

Going to be taking part in a hematology/genome study for this vaccine, which is exciting. There seems to have been single digit cases in Northern Ireland so far.

Good to hear, buddy. You're the only other Irish person I like besides Andy Murray. Wait, nevermind, he's Scottish. Same difference.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score

Damn man. I'm glad this is isolated (extremely so, most of the rare AZ clotting cases I've heard have been women, but when you have a sample size of 6, that can absolutely happen by luck of the draw), but even more so that you're recovering. ICUs are not places designed for people to spend a long period of time in, I hope you're out soon and starting to return to normal life and full health. :yesway:

Latest posts