CPU cooler mounting

• Thread starter The Atomic Ass
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Atomic Ass

Redefining Sound
Reaction score
The last time I built a computer was in 2004, way back before I knew CPU's had thermal diodes. As such, the AMD Athlon that I built had a stock cooler, which did not weigh any significant amount.

Fast forward to today, and I'm getting ready to finish off my new gaming rig, just as soon as the parts come in. I decided this time around to get a beastly cooler, the Cooler Master 212 EVO. And this has me wondering now. The case I'm using is one I previously bought for a build that I never started, back in 2005. It is an ATX case, but it has holes for standoffs labeled "P4", which suggest to me that they are stabilizers for the cooling block.

So the question is, do modern motherboards require standoffs in the position around the CPU to bear the weight of the cooler? (If so, I may be forced to case-shop)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AxeHappy

Reaction score
Mine does not have standoffs for the CPU cooler. It's one of the old i5 750s.

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
I don't think that is too common really, usually there are just the standard ones on the case for mounting the mobo (like 9?). What kind of case is it? :eek:

Handbanana

Reaction score
Nah, you should be fine as long as you have access. Ive used both the 212 and 412 without em and its been fine.

The Atomic Ass

Redefining Sound
Reaction score
I don't think that is too common really, usually there are just the standard ones on the case for mounting the mobo (like 9?). What kind of case is it? :eek:
Haven't the slightest idea. It hasn't any logos on it. The box it was stored in for the last 8 years says "Super Case" :lol:

And before anyone mentions it, yes, I ditched the PSU from the case in favor of a modern Antec EW.

Despised_0515

Bassist of Redivider
Contributor
Reaction score
You'll be fine dude. The 212 EVO isn't as "beastly" as other coolers on the market and they hold up alright without any additional standoffs. I've never even heard of such a thing. The only time I can see anyone needing to use any precaution for support would be if you're transporting your pc a lot. I'd remove the cooler and GPU's just to be safe if that were the case.

Otherwise, you're good. :yesway:

The Atomic Ass

Redefining Sound
Reaction score
The only time I can see anyone needing to use any precaution for support would be if you're transporting your pc a lot. I'd remove the cooler and GPU's just to be safe if that were the case.
That's actually one of the things that makes me WTF at current case design (as in, not the case I'm using): it would be quite easy to have a steel bracket on top of the graphics card to stabilize it, but not a single case has this. :realmad:

Anyway, thanks everyone for the responses, and Amazon, get off your lazy Ass and ship my shit. :lol: