Craigslist deal gone stupidly bad, what to do next?

• Thread starter Silence2-38554
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Silence2-38554

Mobius Guitars
Reaction score
Note: if anyone ever says that they will send you a cashier's check or money order, and someone else will pick it up, especially if they say they will pay you extra to pay the pick-up person, or have you send the over-payment back, it's 100% a scam.

I let my scammer send me a check to my PO box, which I then turned over to the police and the bank. No idea if anything ever came of it...

Ah yes, I experienced this while apartment hunting several years back. "We live out of the country and just want a responsible couple to take care of our house. All you have to do is send a Money Order in this too-good-to-be-true amount to:" NOPE

People who buy stuff under $10k with personal checks:

1) the elderly
2) scammers

If they're not using a walker and drive a like-new 2009 Cadillac, you're about to get fucked.

This guy fits BOTH of those descriptions. Except he was in a newer Mini Countryman.......

spudmunkey

Reaction score
A few months ago, I was helping an old lady in a pay-to-park parking lot. You pre-pay at a little machine, that prints a ticket, which you put on your dash. I was navigating the system with her, and when we got to the payment screen, she asked if she could pay by check.

In the end, she didn't feel OK about putting her debit card into the machine because of "those stories on the news about gas station pumps and the computers that steal...". I just paid for her parking with my card, and she gave me cash.

And then she went to go put her ticket on the dash of her big-ass Infiniti QX80 (or whatever the previous gen was called) sort-of-luxury SUV. Which seemed like an odd fit. It was a very odd interaction.

SenorDingDong

Smeller of Smells
Reaction score
I stand by what I said.
I have never heard of anyone bringing weapons along to this kind of transaction in any place I've been. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On topic though:

...I suspect this might be the case.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.na...oint-during-craigslist-transaction-gone-wrong

Just earlier this year. Nice consistent "better than you" mentality, though, bud. There is an increasing issue with Craigslist attempted robberies in Canada.

Always, always meet in public or at a designated meeting point at the police station if your town has one. Unless you are able to fully protect yourself, never go alone to meet a stranger in ANY circumstance, nevermind just a Craigslist meetup.

At this point, maybe just eat the bullet and consider this a lesson learned.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
There is an increasing issue with Craigslist attempted robberies in Canada.
So you found one example, 6 months ago, on the opposite end of the country. I stand by what I said. Bringing a gun to this kind of transaction is insane. I've done enough buying and selling random stuff (of any range of value) and this is not even close to as big a thing as you're making it out to be.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
So you found one example, 6 months ago, on the opposite end of the country. I stand by what I said. Bringing a gun to this kind of transaction is insane. I've done enough buying and selling random stuff (of any range of value) and this is not even close to as big a thing as you're making it out to be.
A lot of people I have met have a really, really difficult time accepting/admitting that they understand that America is statistically a far more dangerous place than basically any other first world nation on earth.

Adieu

Reaction score
A lot of people I have met have a really, really difficult time accepting/admitting that they understand that America is statistically a far more dangerous place than basically any other first world nation on earth.

...unless you're a Japanese schoolgirl or secretary.

Then you're f*cked no matter what and where. Or so I keep reading.

PS set meets at cross streets. Near your home if lazy. Then just dial, observe, and decide. I sold like $14k of stuff on craigslist this August, little common sense and you'll be ok.

Descent

Reaction score
Bringing a gun to this kind of transaction is insane.

I got one word for you buddy: Texas

We have much more concealed carry as you can imagine. You'd meet people you'd never think have guns and they have a pistol in their purse. It is quite the norm actually.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I like to meet at shopping malls. I feel it's an morally grey area to meet at a restaurant or cafe without ordering anything, so I like the mall because you're not actually "in" any of the stores. Plus it's public, there are cameras, security (though I'm not sure if mall security are actually allowed to do things), etc.

I don't mind meeting in bars because I've always got room for a beer, but some people are apprehensive about going to a bar that they don't know, because from time to time bars can be hard places. TBH even I might be apprehensive about meeting at bar if I've never been and it were in a particularly seedy section of town.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Makes a good excuse to go to a cafe or something, for the same reason, minus beer, plus coffee.
Oh yeah, sure, if that's you're thing! I was just thinking about me, personally. Really the mall is still the best because it will likely have both beer and coffee somewhere in it if you need to kill some time :lol:

On the rare occasion I find myself in a cafe and I gotta get a drink I usually try to find a soda :lol: The weird thing is, I actually drink coffee every morning at work... I wonder that's like related to why I don't ever want it when I'm living my life.

atracksler

Reaction score
We have a parking lot in town that is well lit and attended, literally thousands of people there a day. After my one time doing a deal at my house, this is where I do every deal. If you cant find it or are sketched out by it - I know all I need to know.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I can see needing to carry if you're selling something worth a lot...at night...in a dark alley...by yourself...in a bad part of town.

Just go to a public place in a nice area in broad daylight with decent people traffic.

I go to a park where there are adult league sports are played half the week and there's usually a couple cops loitering in the parking lot. Best part: there are party shelters with electrical outlets.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
seabass-dumb-and-dumber.jpg

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score

This is why despite really wanting to travel to America, I haven't. I've never seen or heard of any other first world country where so many protections need to be taken to stop yourself from being screwed. And the people who live there think that is a totally normal way to live...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts