Crazy Randall deals

• Thread starter migstopheles
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jarledge

Reaction score
20200716_131604.1.jpg

I got my archetype and EOD . The EOD is so fucking worth it. It isn't flubby or mud machine. It is actually pretty tight and has a ton of usable gain. It sounds amazing in lower gain settings. The fuzz is actually super usable as well. I wasn't at all sure about it but yeah they knew what they were doing with it. I am ecstatic about it and really glad i got it. I feel like it fell prey to bad marketing. It can do so much more than sludgy doom stuff and honestly if I wanted that I wouldn't want this amp. Again it is surprisingly clear. Had they just marketed it as a rock/metal amp they would have been way more popular. I Like the red tolex but not really the graphic and I would assume that was probably a turn off for some players that might have actually liked it for lower gain rock and metal. It is a sleeper for sure. I had it on for about 20 minuets and then went to switch over the archetype. I noticed how hot the vent in the top got in that fairly short period of time. I wouldn't put anything on top of it while on, (like a mini head).

The archetype. I have a T2 combo so i kinda knew what the expect but I was also surprised. the cleans are ok. You probably aren't buying it for the cleans but they are usable standalone. I haven't tried any pedals on it yet. The SS channel it pretty typical Randall, but that isn't a bad thing. It is similar to the T2 I have. It has been refined a little and really works well. The tube drive channel, bruh, that is where it is at. I am not sure why the amp wasn't more popular maybe other than the cost of it when it was new. the tube channel is pretty dynamic as far as tone shaping and gain. The tight and bright controls are pretty usable in either setting and the gain is pretty usable even set lower. I am pretty happy with it. If it would have been all tube again it would have sold so well. Not to say the SS channel isn't usable, it is just that the tube channel is that good. Like I said the archetype can do the full range of power inputs. You just have to change the fuse and fuse orientation. The power transformer is a fucking chonky boi as result. There is a really large heat sink you can see through the front and it has a fan on top of it.

Edika

Reaction score
Damn I sold my Randall RD100 head maybe a week before this thread came up for £400 shipped! I feel kind of bad for the buyer now. I'm kind of tempted on the EOD but I don't have much available funds at the moment. If they're still there in a couple of months it might be worth looking into them again.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Has anyone tried that T2 head? T2HL seems to be the full model name, apparently this silver/grey faceplate version is different from the older black-faceplate model?

I’ve been googling around part of today but there’s like no good clips of the T2’s, older ones or this one.

I see some people say this model sounds worse than the blackface T2‘s, but literally every comment i find is ‘someone told me’ or ‘I read a review’. Anyone actually tried this version?

Bearitone

Reaction score
Dude i couldn't find a single good demo of the Archetype V2 either.
I just really don't think these amps were that popular

jarledge

Reaction score
Has anyone tried that T2 head? T2HL seems to be the full model name, apparently this silver/grey faceplate version is different from the older black-faceplate model?

I’ve been googling around part of today but there’s like no good clips of the T2’s, older ones or this one.

I see some people say this model sounds worse than the blackface T2‘s, but literally every comment i find is ‘someone told me’ or ‘I read a review’. Anyone actually tried this version?

my t2 is a 1x12 combo. It is the newer (i guess i dunno) silver/black version (looks similar to the archetype) . It is a solid amp. It doesn't have as much gain as you might expect being that it was marketed toward the metal crowd. It has a red "marshall" style lower gain, and blue lead channel. It isn't too abrasive in the mids and highs and isn't dry sounding like some of the other SS stuff. I takes pedals/overdrivers pretty well. Again if i get a chance i'll try and get you a few clips of it that don't sound like garbage but no promises. I mean that as I have limited recording skills and may not do the amp justice.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

Never tried or heard one myself. Just be aware it's 100w vs the 400w of the old one

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
my t2 is a 1x12 combo. It is the newer (i guess i dunno) silver/black version (looks similar to the archetype) . It is a solid amp. It doesn't have as much gain as you might expect being that it was marketed toward the metal crowd. It has a red "marshall" style lower gain, and blue lead channel. It isn't too abrasive in the mids and highs and isn't dry sounding like some of the other SS stuff. I takes pedals/overdrivers pretty well. Again if i get a chance i'll try and get you a few clips of it that don't sound like garbage but no promises. I mean that as I have limited recording skills and may not do the amp justice.

cool, yeah I think the combo was the ‘newer’ version also. Good to hear it isn’t just some junk. I may give it a shot, just to have something a little different around.

May well be different from the older version as I saw a lot of people describing the old T2 as very tight and modern sounding.

also interesting to hear about the EOD. I was initially intrigued when it was announced, because of the KT88 power section which you don’t see too often. But the marketing and even descriptions of the people demoing it at NAMM made me think it was just gonna be an Orange amp rip, and I’m more interested in the modern metal thing.

Bearitone

Reaction score
Just got an email that they sent me the wrong amp.
They canceled the shipment and will now be sending me the correct amp.
Major bummer because it was supposed to arrive today.

Bearitone

Reaction score
View attachment 82721

I got my archetype and EOD . The EOD is so fucking worth it. It isn't flubby or mud machine. It is actually pretty tight and has a ton of usable gain. It sounds amazing in lower gain settings. The fuzz is actually super usable as well. I wasn't at all sure about it but yeah they knew what they were doing with it. I am ecstatic about it and really glad i got it. I feel like it fell prey to bad marketing. It can do so much more than sludgy doom stuff and honestly if I wanted that I wouldn't want this amp. Again it is surprisingly clear. Had they just marketed it as a rock/metal amp they would have been way more popular. I Like the red tolex but not really the graphic and I would assume that was probably a turn off for some players that might have actually liked it for lower gain rock and metal. It is a sleeper for sure. I had it on for about 20 minuets and then went to switch over the archetype. I noticed how hot the vent in the top got in that fairly short period of time. I wouldn't put anything on top of it while on, (like a mini head).

The archetype. I have a T2 combo so i kinda knew what the expect but I was also surprised. the cleans are ok. You probably aren't buying it for the cleans but they are usable standalone. I haven't tried any pedals on it yet. The SS channel it pretty typical Randall, but that isn't a bad thing. It is similar to the T2 I have. It has been refined a little and really works well. The tube drive channel, bruh, that is where it is at. I am not sure why the amp wasn't more popular maybe other than the cost of it when it was new. the tube channel is pretty dynamic as far as tone shaping and gain. The tight and bright controls are pretty usable in either setting and the gain is pretty usable even set lower. I am pretty happy with it. If it would have been all tube again it would have sold so well. Not to say the SS channel isn't usable, it is just that the tube channel is that good. Like I said the archetype can do the full range of power inputs. You just have to change the fuse and fuse orientation. The power transformer is a fucking chonky boi as result. There is a really large heat sink you can see through the front and it has a fan on top of it.

Does the EOD sound sort of like an Orange amp in any way? The controls make me think SLO.

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score

I had the T2 when they first came out. Awesome amp but I can't really remember how it sounded. What I do remember is the T2HL was known to have reliability issues so they didn't sell very well. Then Randall pretty much stopped building amps until they started working with Mike Fortin. Now they're pretty much dead.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I had the T2 when they first came out. Awesome amp but I can't really remember how it sounded. What I do remember is the T2HL was known to have reliability issues so they didn't sell very well. Then Randall pretty much stopped building amps until they started working with Mike Fortin. Now they're pretty much dead.

Currently own one. Best way I can describe it is tight, dry, lots of bass, smooth high end, no fizz.

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score

This is what I remember of the T2. Brooooootz for days. Now I want one.

jarledge

Reaction score
Does the EOD sound sort of like an Orange amp in any way? The controls make me think SLO.

It doesn't sound like an orange. It definitely has more of a hotrodded marshall feel like a 2555x but more low mids and more gain so maybe like a Fortin Bones, or Sigil based on the clips I have heard. The SOLs are cool but it has been quite a while since i have played. Listening to the clips of the new 30, i could hear some similarities.

this is a decent video of how it sounds. I am not sure if they have celestion g12-t75s in that cab, it sounds like it though. It sounds a little less scooped through my engl standard cab.

Last edited:

Bearitone

Reaction score
Dude this sounds fucking awesome
It doesn't sound like an orange. It definitely has more of a hotrodded marshall feel like a 2555x but more low mids and more gain so maybe like a Fortin Bones, or Sigil based on the clips I have heard. The SOLs are cool but it has been quite a while since i have played. Listening to the clips of the new 30, i could hear some similarities.

this is a decent video of how it sounds. I am not sure if they have celestion g12-t75s in that cab, it sounds like it though. It sounds a little less scooped through my engl standard cab.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score

Not like an orange and more like a hot rodded Marshall you say, ok I’m interested again.

I did find that demo when looking around but it was literally the only good one so I wasn’t sure if it was an anomaly, like Ola making a Marshall MG sound good. But if it’s accurate...

eh fuck it, ordered one.

Edika

Reaction score
What is the difference between the 667 and the Kirk Hammet signature? The KH seems to be based on the 667 but no info on either.

Latest posts