Current BC Rich Thread

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Yeah, Kahler made a ton of fulcrum style bridges of various quality and utility over the years.

The "Traditional", "Spyder", "Killer", and "Steeler" models specifically.

The one pictured is a Steeler (2760), which is the closest to the typical Floyd.
Was the Steeler the only one where they had to licence parts of the design from Floyd Rose (though I also suspect there were probably some models where they didn't but probably should have, ha!)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Was the Steeler the only one where they had to licence parts of the design from Floyd Rose (though I also suspect there were probably some models where they didn't but probably should have, ha!)

Yeah, just the Steeler.

The patents that Floyd would license out were related to the saddles mostly, which is why systems that significantly modify the saddle and how it locks, or if it locks, avoided needing to be licensed.

Hence the other bridges not running afoul.

DiezelMonster

Complainasaurus Rex
Reaction score

Scooter over at granville guitars doing a setup on a prototype import Rutan sig.

I'd get excited for this if the import were a 7 string version. I have enough 6 strings now.

I know it's a prototype but what is it about the import Ironbirds that these companies can't get the fucking top horn right???? hahaha so hilarious considering this guitar is like $3K canadian

neptoess

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I know it's a prototype but what is it about the import Ironbirds that these companies can't get the fucking top horn right???? hahaha so hilarious considering this guitar is like $3K canadian
What’s wrong with the top horn? It’s a Mk2

ste vla jang

Guitar enthusiat from Build,Play & Composing it.
Reaction score
Imagine owning an archtop! They weigh a metric tonne. I used to own this thing, and I'm like 5'6, barely 115lbs, that guitar was sure to cripple me. Sold it when I fell into money "shortfalls" (along with all but 3 of my guitars), but I think I miss it most. I'd gladly buy it back if I had the chance and the coin. No neck dive, lap comfortable, and played and sounded simple amazing. Used to have black hardware, I really regretted changing it to gold, hindsight and all.View attachment 59724
is that an archtop custom shop from the FB forum ?.do u have any clear picture of her.. she so beautiful

DiezelMonster

Complainasaurus Rex
Reaction score
What’s wrong with the top horn? It’s a Mk2
The internal cut on an MKII is straight not rounded, I know that is being picky but if this is a signature model it should be like his USA correct?

I doubt it will happen but I really dislike the curved inner cut. It has zero practical function but aesthetically I hate it.

neptoess

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The internal cut on an MKII is straight not rounded, I know that is being picky but if this is a signature model it should be like his USA correct?

I doubt it will happen but I really dislike the curved inner cut. It has zero practical function but aesthetically I hate it.
I think they do it to make paint easier in mass manufacturing. The import Mk1s have the same curved internal cut. It sucks, but I think only super picky would pass based on that alone.

TornAnus

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I had to laugh at it being a custom shop to Erik Rutan's specs and his tech immediately moved the volume knob to a different location.

neptoess

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I had to laugh at it being a custom shop to Erik Rutan's specs and his tech immediately moved the volume knob to a different location.
It’s a prototype, to be fair. For all we know, some genius at BCR thought customers would want a tone knob on a death metal guitarist’s signature guitar (though, now that I think about it, you would need one for a Trevor Peres signature lol), so they asked Erik to try it out

neptoess

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
ok so its a duplicate of his spec'd out guitar. whatever you wanna call it
Just a prototype. The production models should have the single volume knob, in the right spot

zappatton2

Reaction score
is that an archtop custom shop from the FB forum ?.do u have any clear picture of her.. she so beautiful
I don't know if there's pics on the forum, it's been years since I owned it, switched to gold hardware when I changed the pickups, but in retrospect, the black hardware was much nicer.Beasties009 (1).jpg

DiezelMonster

Complainasaurus Rex
Reaction score
I think they do it to make paint easier in mass manufacturing. The import Mk1s have the same curved internal cut. It sucks, but I think only super picky would pass based on that alone.
Sure, but I'm a die hard Rutan fan and Ironbird fan and it's enough to make me hard pass.

neptoess

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Sure, but I'm a die hard Rutan fan and Ironbird fan and it's enough to make me hard pass.
I have one of these on order https://bcrich.com/product/ironbird-mk1-with-kahler/
I like Ironbirds too. Wouldn't call myself a diehard fan of them though. If I were, I would just do a custom shop order. After all, BC Rich was one of the original full custom shops, and Jackson and ESP were shortly after.
The beauty of BC's current import offerings, even if they have not-entirely-accurate body carves (and this isn't just limited to the Ironbirds), is that people get an awesome guitar, with all the brand's typical flavor (neck carve, fret size, fretboard radius, nut width, pickups, etc.).
If someone buys and loves one of these guitars, and they want to move up to a custom shop, they can rest assured that the custom shop has a decent idea what they're looking for. It's not like asking ESP to give you the neck carve from a 70s Martin D-45.

ste vla jang

Guitar enthusiat from Build,Play & Composing it.
Reaction score
I don't know if there's pics on the forum, it's been years since I owned it, switched to gold hardware when I changed the pickups, but in retrospect, the black hardware was much nicer.View attachment 111593
this is the pic i saw on the forum.. brian cantle,is that you ?

Attachments

• DBEFE521-51F0-46ED-A208-71F49E346FDE.jpeg
    DBEFE521-51F0-46ED-A208-71F49E346FDE.jpeg
    79.8 KB · Views: 26
  • FFC2BC00-B5FF-459B-8839-9E2A66623516.jpeg
    FFC2BC00-B5FF-459B-8839-9E2A66623516.jpeg
    59.5 KB · Views: 24

DiezelMonster

Complainasaurus Rex
Reaction score
I have one of these on order https://bcrich.com/product/ironbird-mk1-with-kahler/
I like Ironbirds too. Wouldn't call myself a diehard fan of them though. If I were, I would just do a custom shop order. After all, BC Rich was one of the original full custom shops, and Jackson and ESP were shortly after.
The beauty of BC's current import offerings, even if they have not-entirely-accurate body carves (and this isn't just limited to the Ironbirds), is that people get an awesome guitar, with all the brand's typical flavor (neck carve, fret size, fretboard radius, nut width, pickups, etc.).
If someone buys and loves one of these guitars, and they want to move up to a custom shop, they can rest assured that the custom shop has a decent idea what they're looking for. It's not like asking ESP to give you the neck carve from a 70s Martin D-45.

👍

zappatton2

Reaction score
this is the pic i saw on the forum.. brian cantle,is that you ?
Not me, must be the guy that bought it from me.

I hope it's well loved and well played, in truth if I still had it, it would likely just be gathering dust.