Custom 8 string headless- "old" Strandberg copy

Deadnightshade

U gonna eat that?
Reaction score
Brief & Accurate Description of gear/guitar: Headless 8 string guitar. The shape is a Strandberg copy, from Ola Strandberg's provided templates. The original design and guitars can be found at .strandberg* Guitars | Headless, multi-scale and extended range guitars for your unique requirements.

Modifications (if any): The guitar has been partially reconstructed, with more wood added to the neck and body (more details below). The first iteration of the guitar was finished when Ola's design was purely under creative commons license.

Accessories (hardshell case etc): A ....ty thomann strap that fits the colour theme, and a set of Kalium strings 8-82 balanced for dropped E tuning.

Location (City,State or City,Country): Greece

International OK? : Shipping and taxes on you.

Contact Info (No Phone #s): Send me a personal message here.

References (eBay or other forum userid): None, sorry.

Price (include currency and if firm/obo): 600 euros. Shipping paid seperately by the buyer.

Pictures: Will include more pictures as soon as I get the time, depicting all the flaws to the best of my abilities

AFTER THE RECONSTRUCTION, CURRENT STATE OF THE GUITAR:

Specs:

-Body: Ash + Tulipwood, with zebrawood veneer on the front and the back.

-Neck: 3 pieces maple + 2 pieces teak. Initial neck profile was flat, with rounded shoulders. The neck profile right now is a normal to thin C (not ibanez thin though), which required additional maple to be added, parallel to the fretboard. Due to all these wood pieces, the neck is extremely rigid and hasn't moved once since the extra maple addition, while all my other instruments needed truss rod adjustments due to weather change.

-Maple fretboard. The block inlays are actually decals.

-Medium Jumbo frets.

-28.5" scale.

-Phosphor bronze hardware.

-Electronics: Lace X-Bars 4.0
500k pots
Neck volume, bridge volume, bridge only tone
EMG afterburner
3 way pickup selector
2 mini switches for coil tapping

The guitar suffers from a lot of cosmetic defects (I'll include more pics when I can). The fret crowning is laughable, but at least no evidently high frets.

The hardware works, apart from the small black screw that holds the saddles together from the treble side of the bridge for the intonation. The same kind of black screw exists also from the bass side and works fine, so you can still apply pressure to the saddles in order to keep them in place, but it's not ideal. It might just be me, but in the end I just can't stand all the hussle of the headless systems.

The hardware isn't very polished and is slightly damaged in terms of non-critical to the actual use sectors (it's best to just show in the pictures I'll include later).

I feel like the combination of woods-pickups-500k pots don't really work well together, at least with my gear, but your mileage might vary. If I have one good thing to say about the guitar though, is that it's resonant and the notes do jump immediately after you play them (even more than my Siggery FF8).

IN THE PICTURES BELOW YOU CAN SEE THE PREVIOUS ITERATION OF THE GUITAR, BEFORE THE PARTIAL RECONSTRUCTION

You can see here that the initial body wood was ash. The ash has been kept, another piece of tulipwood of similar thickness was added to the back, and veneers of zebrawood cover both the front and the back.

These are the pieces of maple and teak that hide under the additional maple that was used in order to have enough material to re-shape the neck.

A heart to heart: Counting the reconstruction fee, I've literally paid 2000 euros total for this guitar. The cosmetic defects, hardware use, wood and pickup combinations just didn't cut it for me to justify that price. I pick up the guitar and get really frustrated when I think about that. Unfortunately I can't get my money back legally from the luthier, so I'm cutting my losses. For this price I'm asking, someone might be willing to give it some love. Fretwork and maybe even new hardware.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Deadnightshade

U gonna eat that?
Reaction score
BUMP!

As promised, here are some pictures with the flaws:

Sorry for the rotated pic, I rotated it the right way via photobucket but the link keeps giving the wrong version.

Deadnightshade

U gonna eat that?
Reaction score
Bump.

Also to respond to the comedians that added some specific tags:

I got a lemon, and I am being completely transparent about what's going on, so that I don't screw anyone up. I cut my losses because I know I can't get a refund, and I really think that it's only fair that I'm giving it at fraction of what I paid to balance its good aspects with the flaws. If you're having a blast with another's person misfortune then I really don't know what else to say to you. I'm trying to make the best out of a bad situation.

Price is negotiable.

Reaction score
Damn, man, I feel for you. I bought a custom left-handed six string bass (headless as well, believe it or not) and the craftsmanship turned out to be of unfortunate quality. My options are to put MORE money into it to MAYBE get it in decent playing shape, or sell it for scrap and eat my shoes on the deal.

I wish you luck, and I hope this works out for you as well as it possibly can.

Deadnightshade

U gonna eat that?
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words man! Personally I end up both investing more money and selling it for a considerable loss. I wish you luck in your endeavors with your instrument or future instruments too!

Deadnightshade

U gonna eat that?
Reaction score
Price bump to 500 euros. Buyer assumes shipping and custom taxes (where applicable).