Custom Dæmoness 7-string buildstory! Lots of maple-y goodness within! (many pics)

• Thread starter -Nolly-
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Haha, no secret

1) Dæmoness 6
2) Rico 7
3) Rico 6
4) Blackmachine B2 (26 months and counting!)

also, possibly a further Rico 7..

I like the cut of your jib, sir.

You need one eight in there just for variety though :lol: I'm waiting to see what happens in the next month or so business wise and I might be ordering a Rico just to try one out....

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Justin Bailey

Reaction score
I envy you guys.

This build is coming out incredible, can't wait to see it and the rest of the customs finished

-Nolly-

Reaction score
Thanks for the lovely comments dudes.

Over the 2 years since I put the deposit down, I've changed between wanting a B2, a B7, a fanned 7, a fanned 8, back to a B7, back to a fanned 7, back to a B7 then back to the B2 :lol:, but now I am certain I will stick to my choice. It's going to be similar but complimentary to my current B2 - that thing is still the best guitar I've ever touched (other than perhaps Misha's B2). It may be overkill to have two similar guitars but there is something special and "right" about the 6-string format to me, especially with Doug's creations.

Steve, I've never been overly taken with 8-strings. They can be awesome fun, but I always find it difficult to use them to their full potential in a creative way. My bandmate Pete uses a cool tuning for the lowest two strings that makes a lot of sense when used alongside 6s and 7s (EBGDAEAE), but I don't feel the need to own an 8 myself.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the lovely comments dudes.

Over the 2 years since I put the deposit down, I've changed between wanting a B2, a B7, a fanned 7, a fanned 8, back to a B7, back to a fanned 7, back to a B7 then back to the B2 :lol:, but now I am certain I will stick to my choice. It's going to be similar but complimentary to my current B2 - that thing is still the best guitar I've ever touched (other than perhaps Misha's B2). It may be overkill to have two similar guitars but there is something special and "right" about the 6-string format to me, especially with Doug's creations.

Steve, I've never been overly taken with 8-strings. They can be awesome fun, but I always find it difficult to use them to their full potential in a creative way. My bandmate Pete uses a cool tuning for the lowest two strings that makes a lot of sense when used alongside 6s and 7s (EBGDAEAE), but I don't feel the need to own an 8 myself.

Just get a different wood combo from your current B2, problem solved ;)

Honestly I'm the same way with 8s, I'm basically getting mine because I had the opportunity to and it was a good price because it's a prototype (and I'm a KxK whore and Rob doesn't intend to build anymore 8s). It'll be fun to play with, and I'm sure it will get played, but I don't see it becoming one of my main guitars.

Speaking of Pete, how's the Red Seas Fire material coming along? Actually might want to take this to PM as it's wandering off the topic of the Damoness more than a bit :lol:

-Nolly-

Reaction score
Cheers Dave and Alex :hbang:

Just get a different wood combo from your current B2, problem solved ;)

Honestly I'm the same way with 8s, I'm basically getting mine because I had the opportunity to and it was a good price because it's a prototype. It'll be fun to play with, and I'm sure it will get played, but I don't see it becoming one of my main guitars.

Speaking of Pete, how's the Red Seas Fire material coming along? Actually might want to take this to PM as it's wandering off the topic of the Daemoness more than a bit :lol:

Ah well, it's the end of the thread anyway, no harm in some 'jacking.

Well, the wood combo is going to be pretty similar - sticking with the chambered mahogany back/maple top of some sort (either burl or one-piece quilt, natural), RW neck with ebony fillets of course. I sourced a big chunk of wicked looking ziricote that will be used for the board/headstock.
The main difference will be the bridge - I'll be going with the Hannes.

Yeah, I hear you on the 8, I certainly wouldn't say no if someone gave me one, but I'm not about to go out of my way to get an übercustom 8 stringer.

RSF stuff is doing good, once I'm back from my travels we will do the final tracking of the songs , and if things go to plan we might have a singer to work with too (FINALLY!)!

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Cheers Dave and Alex :hbang:

Ah well, it's the end of the thread anyway, no harm in some 'jacking.

:rofl:

Well, the wood combo is going to be pretty similar - sticking with the chambered mahogany back/maple top of some sort (either burl or one-piece quilt, natural), RW neck with ebony fillets of course. I sourced a big chunk of wicked looking ziricote that will be used for the board/headstock.
The main difference will be the bridge - I'll be going with the Hannes.

Cool. The Hannes bridge looks intriguing, I want to try one on something at some point. My to buy list is way too long already I need to stop adding things :rofl:

Yeah, I hear you on the 8, I certainly wouldn't say no if someone gave me one, but I'm not about to go out of my way to get an übercustom 8 stringer.

Well it wasn't given to me, but the price was right and I had a blast screwing around with the Agile 8 I had a while ago, so I figured why not. The world needed a fr00tay 8, who was I to say no :lol: It bumped a 7 I was going to order, but since I have two 7s in progress already, I figured why not.

RSF stuff is doing good, once I'm back from my travels we will do the final tracking of the songs , and if things go to plan we might have a singer to work with too (FINALLY!)!

Very cool. What style vocals are you guys going for? I know it really makes no difference but IMHO it'd be awesome to hear something Scar-Symmetry'ish with a combination of great cleans and growls :2c:

-Nolly-

Reaction score
:rofl:

Cool. The Hannes bridge looks intriguing, I want to try one on something at some point. My to buy list is way too long already I need to stop adding things :rofl:

Well it wasn't given to me, but the price was right and I had a blast screwing around with the Agile 8 I had a while ago, so I figured why not. The world needed a fr00tay 8, who was I to say no :lol: It bumped a 7 I was going to order, but since I have two 7s in progress already, I figured why not.

Very cool. What style vocals are you guys going for? I know it really makes no difference but IMHO it'd be awesome to hear something Scar-Symmetry'ish with a combination of great cleans and growls :2c:

Yeah, sorry, I didn't mean that you were getting one for free, I was just illustrating my feelings towards them :yesway:
The Hannes is an absolute monster - so comfortable and makes a massive contribution to the tone of a guitar. If only they made a 7-string version.

As far as vocals go, we are definitely going for a good mix of cleans and screams, but I don't think we're looking for something too Scar Symmetry-ish. Ideally, we want them to have a very British flavour. Anyway, it's early days, so fingers crossed things work out. That said, I've grown cynical after all of the people that have failed to deliver material.

On another note, Dylan and I finalised the specs on the 6er. It's going to be extremely fr00t :metal:

Freestyler8

Reaction score
I have to say, as awesome as this is looking, the holes drilled for the strings don't look exactly in a row? I suppose the bridge will cover these though, thinking about it.

My order from Dylan (if I go through with it) was going to have a Hannes bridge - will be interesting to see how yours turns out.

-Nolly-

Reaction score
I have to say, as awesome as this is looking, the holes drilled for the strings don't look exactly in a row? I suppose the bridge will cover these though, thinking about it.

My order from Dylan (if I go through with it) was going to have a Hannes bridge - will be interesting to see how yours turns out.

The holes aren't supposed to be in a row - they're drilled through from staggered the holes in the baseplate ;)

Freestyler8

Reaction score
Ah I see. I thought the quality of Dylans' work looked to high for such lack of attention.

I assumed at first that they would be on display a-la a TOM, then remembered you went for a Hipshot bridge. Can't wait to see this thing finished.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, sorry, I didn't mean that you were getting one for free, I was just illustrating my feelings towards them :yesway:
The Hannes is an absolute monster - so comfortable and makes a massive contribution to the tone of a guitar. If only they made a 7-string version.

As far as vocals go, we are definitely going for a good mix of cleans and screams, but I don't think we're looking for something too Scar Symmetry-ish. Ideally, we want them to have a very British flavour. Anyway, it's early days, so fingers crossed things work out. That said, I've grown cynical after all of the people that have failed to deliver material.

On another note, Dylan and I finalised the specs on the 6er. It's going to be extremely fr00t :metal:

Yup I knew what you meant... was trying to be slightly humorous, but it's hard to convey expression in text even with smilies.

Any examples somebody in the vein you're thinking of vocal-wise? Inquiring minds want to know :D

fr00t is good... specs please :lol:

-Nolly-

Reaction score
Yup I knew what you meant... was trying to be slightly humorous, but it's hard to convey expression in text even with smilies.

Any examples somebody in the vein you're thinking of vocal-wise? Inquiring minds want to know :D

fr00t is good... specs please :lol:

Ah I see, it's all good :lol:

Erm, perhaps Justin of SikTh would be a good example - really belts out at volume for both screams and cleans. He uses minimal vibrato and has a British accent.

Specs:

Cimmerian 6-string shape, w/contemporary carve option
5A flame maple top, bright PINK stain
Natural swamp ash back
Birdseye/Flame/Birdseye maple 3-pc neck (set-neck construction)
Birdseye board with über awesome inlay, black binding on neck/h'stock
Schaller Hannes bridge (chrome), Sperzel tuners
Bare Knuckle Miracle Man/Sinner pickups (though I might be getting hold of some new prototypes in the near future that could go in there instead)
BKP Custom taper 550k pots/NOS Russian cap, same control layout as on the 7-string
Dunlop 6000 fretwire, recessed Dunlop straplock mountings