Custom version of an Ibanez RGD 2127z wanted

Tom MAF

Reaction score
Heya,
I recently bought one of the new Ibanez RGD2127z's. It was a very nice guitar and all, loved the sound, playability, extended scale length, thin fretboard. But the there were two problems with it, one being that the floyd rose (Edge pro zero) was not up to scratch (sloppy, stiff, inaccurate...), especially for a £1020 guitar. Also the the guitars neck, even when I fully un-tensioned it, so much so that the bolt that you turn started coming off, was basically the neck was contently too flat even though I was using a tuning (drop g sharp) that was of an overall higher tension than the standard (a standard). I know that the problem with the neck was just a one off but I decided to sent it back to Gak and get a refund.

Anyway I was wondering whether anybody could think of any good luthiers or manufacturers who could give me a similar guitar, that is with a thin neck, 26.5"-27" scale length, Superstrat style body and 7 strings obviously :), but what I also want I a decent floyd rose. This is all considering that I live near Norwich, in Norfolk, in England. And also that I am willing to pay a reasonable amount but I'm not wanting a £2000+ guitar with a 2 year production time :lol:.

Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ever so much.

Tom

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
im nnot understanding the neck problem, did it have too much bow or too little that you where adjusting it?

Tom MAF

Reaction score
It had too little bow, the neck was too flat, too much tension.
I hope that clears it, I'm not the best at explaining things :(.

meisterjager

Now available in HD
Reaction score
Might be worth getting in touch with Marty at Siggery about a custom - He's UK based, I've only heard good things, and the recent quote I got was less than your RGD ;)

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
I've got a purple figured maple topped RG7XL body in the shop(kind of chaotic figuring, mainly quilted), routed for a LoPro Edge 7 trem, mahogany with 1/4" maple cap, you'd have to find the neck(or have one made, ET Guitars can handle it), but you'd be halfway there. It's not an RGD of course. It just needs to be wet sanded and buffed and it's done.

I can't find the pic online, but can get it later, if you're interested.

Tom MAF

Reaction score
Yeh that sounds cool!!!

Erm... so what would I need to do to get it up and running and how much would it set me back?

Thanks

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
Yeh that sounds cool!!!

Erm... so what would I need to do to get it up and running and how much would it set me back?

Thanks

You'd need a trem, pickups and electronics, and a neck+tuners+locking nut. It can fit a LoPro Edge 7, a Edge Pro 7, or an OFR7. Pickup routes are for Duncan style pickups, so it'd fit Phase 2 blackouts, or any other passive pickup on the market. I'd ask $350 for the body. I can try to help source everything else if necessary as well.

Tom MAF

Reaction score
Well one of the main factors I have to think about is shipping and import duty fees, considering I live in england, any idea how much thats gonna cost?

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
Well one of the main factors I have to think about is shipping and import duty fees, considering I live in england, any idea how much thats gonna cost?
I shipped a guitar to Norway recently, it had to ship Priority and was only $80 to ship. I have no idea about how much customs cost him though, because he hasn't gotten it yet :spock: If you'd like me to help you assemble the whole thing, we can work that out as well. That would also make going to Ernie Taylor for the neck a breeze, because I'm going to be placing an order with him as well. I think it's pretty hard to find a XL neck anyways, so Ernie might be your best bet. If you want, shoot me a PM and we can discuss this further.

Tom MAF

Reaction score
That would be really cool but before that could ya just tell me how much over all you would estimate it costing and how long over all you could imagine it taking to get to me, as my band is going into recording soon, I could use my old rg7321 but I hate playing that guitar after my RGD, so would I have to wait a bit or just use my 7321?
Chears

Elysian

Banned
Reaction score
I found the pic, it's on my facebook.

n697690111_5749480_7916.jpg

InTheRavensName

Dog says yes ^.^ Yes
Reaction score
Get him to mark the sale value of the guitar or whatever as something like £300, then you'll only pay about £30 import tax.

meisterjager

Now available in HD
Reaction score
Shipping's probably gonna cost the same as it did to Norway, so around $80 if you use the same kinda shipping service.

As far as customs go, I paid £70 on a guitar that was worth $500, so I wouldn't expect to have to pay ANY more than that, unless things have drastically changed in the past 2 years.

I'd estimate shipping to take around 7 working days.. so up to 11 days in total - then, once it gets to the depot, it'll take another day or two for you to get the letter through saying they have it.. so it may take up to 2 weeks.

All just guesswork, really, but a vague idea, I hope!

Tom MAF

Reaction score
Well thanks ever so much guys I'll have a look into import fees, chears

Tom MAF

Reaction score
Hey I'm still interested about getting a custom 26.5" custom 7, any UK luthiers that peeps can think of?