Cutting pickguard for Ibanez GRG7221

• Thread starter Curt
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
5CD007C5-DB3A-45EA-9FA7-F7B01AC5A785.jpeg Not sure if this is the right sub forum for this, but I just bought this guitar for super cheap pretty much with the idea of doing some simple mods to it.
I figured I could just buy a pickguard from Perle like I did for my 7421 some years back, but I guess I never factored in that when they don’t direct mount the pickups, they move the neck pickup route back a hair so they can fit the pickup ring around it. So the neck pocket doesn’t meet with the pickup route as it normally does. Which means I’m going to have to order the pickguard without the neck pickup route cut. What tool do I use to cut that hole for at least acceptable results?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A Dremel with a small router bit to rough out the shape, square/flat file to clean up the corners. Smooth out with sandpaper (180 up to 320).

As for the shape, trace out on paper with the bridge pickup cut.

If you don't have a Dremel or anything, order a thin one-ply pickguard and cut it with a really sharp utility knife. It'll take more clean up, but should work.

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
A Dremel with a small router bit to rough out the shape, square/flat file to clean up the corners. Smooth out with sandpaper (180 up to 320).

As for the shape, trace out on paper with the bridge pickup cut.

If you don't have a Dremel or anything, order a thin one-ply pickguard and cut it with a really sharp utility knife. It'll take more clean up, but should work.
Thanks, man. Thankfully my dad has a dremel, makes this a lot easier for me. Lol

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Whatsmynameagain

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Any update on this? I'm looking to do the same thing, interested to see if the pickup selector and knobs also line up with a Perle rg pickguard

Adieu

Reaction score
If the pickguard almost-matches (depends on the definition of "a hair"), you might also be able to widen the pickup hole(s) on the guard, and then hide those by mounting pickup rings over the guard