D'activators worth it?

stevemcqueen

Namby Pamby
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Septor 828 and I am thinking about putting in D'activators. Are they worth the money over the Cepheus pickups? And before BKPs or Lundgrens get brought up, if I knew I wasn't going to be getting a better guitar in the future I would be getting either one of those :bowdown:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dkannen

Reaction score
They'll be the best pickups before BKP and Lundgren. DiMarzio makes quality stuff- I think you'd be happy.

rippedflesh89

Reaction score
agreed, dimarzio is the way to go if your on a budget...

and outta all the dimarzios ive tried (including PAF7, crunch lab 7 & evo 7) i like the d-activator the most.... its very very tight and organic sounding... very similar to an EMG-81, just a looot more warmth and tonal color...

if you want pure versatility, the PAF7 kicks some serious ass too! you can do just about ANYthing w/those pups... from super high gain, super tight tones for tech-death and djent to super clean, warm jazz and country tones...

but if metal is the #1 thing you play on guitar, go D-Activators... you WONT be disappointed...

one more fun fact: i played EMGs for years and preferred them over most passive pups until i tried the D-Activator 7 set... after that, i was totally done w/EMG's

stevemcqueen

Namby Pamby
Reaction score

and outta all the dimarzios ive tried (including PAF7, crunch lab 7 & evo 7) i like the d-activator the most.... its very very tight and organic sounding... very similar to an EMG-81, just a looot more warmth and tonal color...

if you want pure versatility, the PAF7 kicks some serious ass too! you can do just about ANYthing w/those pups... from super high gain, super tight tones for tech-death and djent to super clean, warm jazz and country tones...

but if metal is the #1 thing you play on guitar, go D-Activators... you WONT be disappointed...

one more fun fact: i played EMGs for years and preferred them over most passive pups until i tried the D-Activator 7 set... after that, i was totally done w/EMG's

I don't think the PAF comes in an 8 string model. I like the sound of being able to play djent to djazz though. The d'activator does have a much more organic and less "lifeless" sound than EMGs though?

stevemcqueen

Namby Pamby
Reaction score

You totally answered that question about the sound already haha, my bad.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Yes

DA8s are the shiznit. I have a pair in my Intrepid 828 and they rock. They're voice in a way that's difficult for me to describe. They kind of sound old school and modern at the same time. But that may just be how I have my amp set... :shrug:

stuglue

Reaction score
It would be great if we could get out hands on DI's of the D Activator (both 7 and 8 string version)

Darkstar124

Strongman
Reaction score
I have one in the bridge of my RG7420. its so tight and punchy, this thing hurts people. in a good way. Highly recommended!