Daemoness. Valkenbyrd. VII. Ia Ia Yog-Sothoth. Yup.

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window
I've decided while waiting for this build to finish to consolidate all the pictures and information into a build thread. I figured it would be good for reference of the first Valkenbyrd VII in existence, the detailed concept behind it, and the general experience in dealing with Dylan for future prospective customers. Plus, this will cut down on my ranting and raving during the NGD itself! :lol:

I'm going to spread the pictures over a few posts in chronological order. I placed a deposit in late 2011/early 2012 (I really don't remember if it was December or January) while deployed in Afghanistan's historic and highly kinetic Kunar Province in the east on the Pakistan border. Many of the big movies, documentaries and valor stories of OEF come from this region (Lone Survivor, The Hornet's Nest, Restrepo, Korengal, among countless individual experiences). Fighting in the east and south is fierce, and it was an amazing experience to be at the steps of the historic Hindu Kush Mountains and Khyber Pass. Dylan and I had many conversations about the history and deployment in general, which was a cool way to connect with him outside of the guitar realm. The original idea was for a Cimmerian VII with a deep space, cosmic horror theme, with a stain based on the colors on The Faceless' "Planetary Duality" cover. It took a while to design an inlay concept, and I thought up something involving some entity ripping through the fretboard showing countless ominous eyes showing through. Dylan shot me this pic from a fantastic collection of art to serve as a baseline:

At the time the wait list was upward of 18 months, which eventually would extend to 24 exactly for the start of the build. Knowing what kind of build I was getting into, I had no issue with this. I already was learning the eventual futility of impatience in dealing with BRJ, which for many of us has sadly evaporated. So, skip ahead a year, and I dug into my H.P. Lovecraft for more inspiration to make this take more shape. I decided instead of going with the much thought of Cthulhu mythos, and wanting to avoid deep sea creatures, to go with one of the nastier and chaotic deities. Enter Yog-Sothoth. The omnipresent deity of the gateway into our universe that drives those who witness him to insanity would make for a killer metal guitar. I started rethinking the overall shape and decided this build required a more extreme form to pay proper homage to the theme. Dylan was ecstatic to take this on, honored actually, as not too many orders are for anything but the Cimmerian shape (which is utterly stunning in it's own right). I love the Valkenbyrd shape and said lets go for it.

Last year I was fortunate enough to buy the Jormungandr Atlantean VII, which was a beast of a guitar and another shape I really like. I bonded well with the instrument and was about to swap pickups, but then a Cimmerian VII went up for sale. I sold the Atlantean (still regret that I had to) and satiated my Cimmerian VII GAS. I had both instruments briefly while waiting for payment to clear, so I took the opportunity to blast away on some amps at the local GC.

On to spring 2014. I received the fatefully epic email from Dylan, among the other fine chaps of impeccable taste in this batch, announcing the time was nigh! Soon after Dylan posted template photos of the body design for the Valkenbyrd, which needed to be larger for a seven string version. Although I am getting a fixed bridge, I agree with him the "ultimate" metal guitar may be a stealth black Valkenbyrd VII with an Edge tremolo and BKP pickups. Here's the templates and body.

Final specs:

Body: aged Swamp Ash
Neck: 5 piece Wenge with Bloodwood fillets, Shredator profile
Fretboard: ebony, black as space
Top: high grade quilted maple
Bridge: Schaller Hannes 7
Pickups: TBD
Hipshot locking tuners, all black hardware
Single Volume, three way toggle

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
Things came together a couple months later:

For the inlay, many ideas were kicked around. I gave Dylan a 500 GBP budget, give or take, to basically go to town. Instead of using all the material for reference, Dylan decided to just pull from his thoughts and the writings of Yog-Sothoth. What he envisioned was the physical manifestation of the deity, appearing from nowhere in deep space from the blackness between the stars. Suddenly in the silence a ferocious maw appears bearing countless rows of huge teeth and massive tendrils arrayed with spines shoot forward toward the hopeless onlooker. The beast only appears when he is angered, so the outcome cannot be good.

It is horrifically awesome, and entirely self inspired without reference, which makes it so artistically unique. It nails the theme in ways I could not imagine. Aluminum, iron, and mother of pearl would make up the actual inlay. With the afforded budget this would stretch the entire fretboard making it utterly massive. It fully captures the horror intended with the concept. Hand work and lasers made this possible.

Dylan alerted me the Schaller Hannes was failing in a big way to get their bridges made, and gave me some other options. While I really did want the Hannes for its look, there are other great options that would provide tonal perfection and all out metal simplicity. I chose the ETS Tuning Fork because of how well they look on other Daemoness builds.

Next up the stain. I tossed other ideas around but we both really liked the original colors for their brooding and evil nature. Also, some genius ordering a Cimmerian VII requested what would become the Skeletorburst, which is pretty damn close to what I was after! Hats off to that finish, because it looks epic. I could only imagine how nasty it would look on this quilt, with this body shape. Dylan got right to it and sent me some initial photos showing off the stain and what the ETS would look like on the body.

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
I loved the stain. I thought it came out great, however I kind of wanted to accentuate the middle and extend the outside through the shape of the guitar. The colors are important because it replicates another facet of Yog-Sothoth. When the Gateway at the Threshold is opened, an ominous cloud of mist and vapor appears. The way the quilting sits on the top this is replicated quite well with the stain. In pictures and B-rate movies the same colors are used, and I think this was the correct choice.

Now something we had thought of was adding holoflake to this from Spectrum. They make outstanding finishes and that is one option. It was used on the white Cimmerian VII Dylan sold "off the peg" at auction. The frequency and size of the specs could be varied and in theory we could replicate space or a nebula. I was really game for this, but as things came together Dylan wasn't sure we could do a convincing nebula with the quilt (burled poplar would have worked better). Moreover, it would probably detract heavily from the focal point that is the inlaid fretboard. I agreed. Dylan also was not satisfied with the stain, so he sanded it off and retried it. What he came up with was immensely better, exactly what I thought of without even asking, and according to Dylan it's the most technically difficult stain he's done so far.

DAMN

Up close shots of the stainless steel frets and fretboard:

And we are off to Spectrum Guitar Finishes for final lacquering and polishing!

As far as pickups, I have had good success with the Seymour Duncan Custom Shop. I really like that they can wind pickups to the exact tone specs you want, with all components desired. Custom engraved covers is a bonus too. I usually default to BKP and am an avid user. There are a couple sets that would work perfectly for this build, but I decided to give SD a try again. Currently they are being completed to be shipped. It takes 4-6 weeks plus reply time to get these made, so there is a chance we will use a substitute BKP set to get the instrument finished in a timely manner. I will be installing these by hook or crook, and hopefully they will slay. I wanted an all-metal but unique sound. No need or worry for clean tones here. I requested a hybrid/custom mix of the Black Winter and Nazgul for the bridge and went with a Distortion neck. The covers are going to have The Sigil of the Gateway, which is famously used by some pretty important death metal bands. It ties together the theme, the stain, and everything that is awesome with this build. Icing on the cake.

So at the moment the guitar is almost or is done at Spectrum, and the pickups should be on their way to England soon. The build will be completed in short order, going on 8 months since start time. Is it a long wait? Yes. But you have to take into account that Dylan is the sole proprietor of his brand, with an apprentice that has aided in speeding up the build times. I think it's totally worth it based on what you are getting, and considering the philosophy, passion, and artistry that goes into a master built work of art that these guitars are, it's a no brainer. I'm forever thankful and grateful to have had this opportunity and look forward to future ideas that will come to fruition in the future. I hope the times do decrease but as the old saying goes, good things come to those who wait.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Absolutely stunning work. This whole batch is pretty unique and varied! I think your build may be my favourite Daemoness so far!

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
Absolutely stunning work. This whole batch is pretty unique and varied! I think your build may be my favourite Daemoness so far!

Thanks! This whole batch is ridiculous. It's going to be quite a venture to see how the next batch comes out! I hope all these crazy ideas and display of craftsmanshipp inspire some legendary builds. Maybe a few more pointy guitars too. :agreed:

Vicious7

Vegetables
Reaction score
:drool:

Easily the most badass build I've seen this year. This is a prime example of knowing *exactly* what you want out of a custom build before you start. That finish is so sick too man....wow.

dedsouth333

That one dude...
Reaction score
Man, you really nailed the vibe and struck close to home with me as I am an extremely avid Lovecraft fan. This is my favorite custom I've ever seen if I do say so myself. Great work. Absolutely monumental.

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
Man, you really nailed the vibe and struck close to home with me as I am an extremely avid Lovecraft fan. This is my favorite custom I've ever seen if I do say so myself. Great work. Absolutely monumental.

Humbled and much appreciated. I am a big Lovecraft fan as well, and thought this would make for a killer theme. Dylan's vision made this amazing, plus it nailed everything I wanted. Not as much attention get's paid to the other Ancients, adn there's such potential there for absolute metal insanity. This one does so much justice and it's uniquely it's own interpretation.

Yeah guys, the Skeletorburst is sick! When I saw someone use it for another Cimmerian VII I wasn't the least bit jealous but rather glad how f*cking epic it turned out on that dude's guitar. I think there's a lot of potential for other color tones applied the same way to turn out just as epic on other guitars. And then there's that slaughterburst... wicked stuff.

Ancient

Astronaught
Reaction score
Wow, just wow. The theme, the tonal choices, everything.... just top notch all around.

I can't get past that inlay.... it's just unreal.....

rifftrauma

Trapped in time...
Contributor
Reaction score
Love the Skeletorburst, been watching this batch for a while. Epic NGD, congrats...looks amazing...

lelandbowman3

Reaction score
This makes me angry, jealous, and happy for you all at the same time. I've started an H.P. Lovecraft sleeve and this would complete my life.

Renkenstein

Reaction score
I don't know why anyone else in the world even attempts inlay anymore. Dylan's skills are a cosmic entity on their own. Look out, Cthulhu!! He's comin for ya!