Darkglass Infinity Troubleshooting

Bassman1

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been a Darkglass user for quite some time, and I'm very happy with the products. Unfortunately, I've experienced my first problem, and it's with my prized Microtubes Infinity.

I've been recording as well as playing with my pedal into an amp since I got it last February. Since the beginning, I've been using my Spector Euro 5 LT with it for my metal project. The bass has passive bartolini Humbuckers and an active Darkglass tone capsule preamp.

For whatever reason, I've started to experience clipping all of a sudden this week. My signal clips, even when I try rolling back the volume knobs on my bass significantly. This isn't audible with the XLR out when going to FOH. However, it shows up when recording using the balanced TRS outputs. This is also true for when the outputs are set to BYPASS. The latter really perplexed me.

Moreover, when putting the pedal in front of an amp, it causes a volume drop, further clipping, and the tone to be quite thin. I should be specific that this occurs when I use the pedal's left output, which is set up to completely bypass the effects. The right output is set to be normal. When that is used and the signal goes into the amp...everything sounds fine.

When I'm not plugged into that pedal at all and just go straight in an amp, these issues all disappear. I've tried this with multiple amps as well. Same results.

I've tried changing the battery on my bass, multiple different isolated power sources, checked for Firmware Updates, and I've used different wall sockets.

I've read that this pedal has some issues with active basses. However, I've never experienced this issue up until this week. I've never dropped the pedal, and I keep it in pristine condition either in its box or in my Pedalcase.

Can you please help me with troubleshooting? I'd hate to have to give this pedal up. I've already written Darkglass to see what they can do as well.

Thanks in advance !

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It does.

It does. I linked it up with my Darkglass Suite, and I checked for an update. Apparently, it's up to date.
Oops, sorry, now I see you mentioned that already. I'm stumped. Yes, see what darkglass says, that might be your best bet.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm stumped as well, and I'm beginning to wonder if the pedal ...just decided to become faulty ?
I dig darkglass stuff, and have two of their pedals, but it's not uncommon to read about weird pedal issues. Best of luck.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Really? Have you experienced anything like that before too? I've never really come across this before.
I haven't had any qc issues and I'd buy another darkglass pedal if necessary (though I think Korg owns them now). If you do some searches you'll see issues. _Seems_ like a bit more than normal qc problems, but it's hard for me to tell.

Bassman1

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
UPDATE:

So, I ended up sending the pedal to Darkglass after going back and forth with the Customer Support. While they were very nice and responsive, the conclusion was that there is no issue with the pedal that they could see. So, I am indeed going to try and buy another one from Thomann just to compare to see what the heck is going on!

I have considered giving up and just selling the pedal, but what a shame...it sounds so damn good and has so many useful functions that other pedals don't have! So, we will see. I have in the mean time used the Electro Harmonix Signal Pad before it. While I can get it to stop clipping there, the tone suffers slightly. So...the saga continues!

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That sucks that it wasn't really resolved. Maybe buy from a place that has a really good return policy. Maybe even be upfront that your last one has a clipping issue.

Bassman1

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Definitely sucks... But, we'll see guys. Here are a few options I'm considering:

1) Try out another unit to see if it continues
2) Install a second 9v on my bass's preamp to increase headroom
3) Install a trim pot on the output to be able to lower the output Level
4) Sell the unit. Use the money to buy other pedals to replace it's function.

Oddly enough, I'm least stoked about option 4. This would require me to buy a tuner, OD, compressor, and gate. There are some pedals that combine many of these functions Like the EBS Micro bass 3, or EHX Bass battalion, for example. Who knows if they will sound to my lining though.

I'll keep this group posted, because apparently I'm not the only one with this issue. I've seen other instances of this on Talk Bass as well.

It could well be just a QC issue that even DG didn't find when inspecting my pedal. We'll see!