Dave Cohen of Equilibrium Guitars Has Passed Away

• Thread starter groverj3
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
I know there are a few people here with EQ builds, and I hadn't seen it posted yet.

I didn't know him personally, but have had several guitars worked on by EQ's repair guy, Ryan, over the past 3 years. I found out that Dave unexpectedly passed when I reached out to Ryan on Monday about a repair.

What I do know, however, is that Dave (and EQ Guitars in general) do immaculate work. And by all accounts he was a great guy.

Dave was also doing guitar tech work for Animals As Leaders on their tour with Devin Townsend and Dream Theater that's ongoing. It sounds like whatever happened was sudden and unexpected on Sunday night. I don't have any more details than that, and the posts from Tosin/Animals, Mike Mangini, and Devin + thoughts being shared on EQ's Instagram.

RIP, the community has lost a great one.

Last edited:

mastapimp

Reaction score
I know there are a few people here with EQ builds, and I hadn't seen it posted yet.

I didn't know him personally, but have had several guitars worked on by EQ's repair guy, Ryan, over the past 3 years. I found out that Dave unexpectedly passed when I reached out to Ryan on Monday about a repair.

What I do know, however, is that Dave (and EQ Guitars in general) do immaculate work. And by all accounts he was a great guy.

Dave was also doing guitar tech work for Animals As Leaders on their tour with Devin Townsend and Dream Theater that's ongoing. It sounds like whatever happened was sudden and unexpected on Sunday night. I don't have any more details than that, and the posts from Tosin/Animals, Mike Mangini, and Devin + thoughts being shared on EQ's Instagram.

RIP, the community has lost a great one.
A couple guys posted in the sad off topic thread yesterday about it. Great dude, gonna miss him.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mastapimp

Reaction score
RIP. He built some awesome looking guitars, I always wanted to check one out in person.

According to Metal Injection, Dave was in the pit, he got hit in the face by an elbow, went unconscious and never recovered.
Edit: Just read the article...it was apparently at a different show, not the tour he was tech'ing for.

mastapimp

Reaction score
Following the reddit article in that link, a guy associated with the venue is claiming that he was by the bar and fell down, not in the pit. Either way, it sounds like a freak type of incident =(

Soya

Poor person
Reaction score
As if we need any more reminders that life is fleeting and fragile. Damn shame.

oracles

Reaction score
Not so friendly reminder that crowdkillers are bottom dwelling mouthbreathers.

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. RIP Dave.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Following the reddit article in that link, a guy associated with the venue is claiming that he was by the bar and fell down, not in the pit. Either way, it sounds like a freak type of incident =(
Yeah there's conflicting info from both the venue owners and supposed staff that were there. Either way, it's a fucking horrible way to go out.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
The reddit post's text has been deleted, I'm guessing because it was contradicted by multiple people who witnessed it?

Crowdkillers suck and if responsible that guy should be in prison, and if it was a freak accident (fall, or otherwise) that's still awful.

In any case, what a tragedy.

Last edited:

ElysianGuitars

Reaction score
Dave really was a great person. I didn't know him beyond working with him on pickups and meeting him at NAMM a couple of times but he was always so kind and genuine. His work was some of the best work I've ever had in my hands. I was surprised he sought me out at NAMM this year, but glad he did, we got to talk about an upcoming build and shoot the shit in general. Even last time we talked online, started talking about pickup covers, but he also took the time to check in on how my life was going and all that, we had a really nice chat. I had huge respect for the guy, and this is an absolute tragedy. I hope Equilibrium goes on in his memory, and his work can live on.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
I heard Dave did amazing work up there with the best of them and I loved seeing all the amazing guitars he shared on his instagram.

This is really sad to hear. One thing I'll point out is when you get injured your body tells you to get the hell out of danger. When the adrenaline wears off that is when the pain or the severity of the injury kicks in, especially with a head injury, you need to be closely monitored.

Last edited:

PiggySmallz

Reaction score
Had the pleasure of knowing Dave in middle school and high school. He had the ability to turn the darkest subject into a light hearted joke. One of the more brilliant and creative minds I have ever known.

We recently connected a year and a half ago to build a couple of guitars for my grandparents. In fact he was one of the first to offer his condolences when my grandfather passed. Our conversations felt like we had never lost touch and I was so excited to see him joining Animals as Leaders on tour.

Absolutely gutted we won't get to finish the builds together, but I'm honored to have known him and see just how many lives he touched.

Frostbite

Periphery Shill
Reaction score
Wait... THAT WAS THE EQ Guy. I spoke with him a few times when I dropped off guitars for Ryan to work on. He was always super personable and even offered to let me go to NAMM with a badge for them after knowing him for all of five minutes cause I said I always wanted to go. That fucking sucks man

Frostbite

Periphery Shill
Reaction score
So apparently he died because he got elbowed in the face at a counterparts show, lost consciousness and never woke up. Shit like this is why I'll always find crowd killing of any kind fucking disgusting. No one should have to go to a show and literally fear for their fucking life because someone isn't mentally capable enough to understand the damage you can do to someone and just go "it's part of the culture bro" . Fuck this and fuck you if you support it

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
So apparently he died because he got elbowed in the face at a counterparts show, lost consciousness and never woke up. Shit like this is why I'll always find crowd killing of any kind fucking disgusting. No one should have to go to a show and literally fear for their fucking life because someone isn't mentally capable enough to understand the damage you can do to someone and just go "it's part of the culture bro" . Fuck this and fuck you if you support it

No, that was confirmed to be wrong by venue staff and witnesses at the show. That was from a reddit story which was deleted shortly after being posted. Witnesses say he was nowhere near the pit and had some kind of seizure related incident.

mastapimp

Reaction score
Gofundme campaign was started a few days ago by Michael Sweet from Stryper to help support Dave's wife through this time:

Frostbite

Periphery Shill
Reaction score
No, that was confirmed to be wrong by venue staff and witnesses at the show. That was from a reddit story which was deleted shortly after being posted. Witnesses say he was nowhere near the pit and had some kind of seizure related incident.
OH shit OK then. Ignore it then. Hard to know what's factual even when a news site is reporting it. Apologies for spreading incorrect info

mastapimp

Reaction score
Dave's wife posted an update a few days ago on the gofundme regarding cause of death. He had an undiagnosed heart condition and was apparently feeling normal up until he collapsed at the show. Should put an end to all the crowdkiller rumors associated with the story.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
Either way crowdkillers still suck. I was sitting at the bar with a friend at a local death metal show and he got backhanded in the throat by a douche crowdkiller. I've also seen people knocked unconscious by them before at another show.

RIP

Latest posts