Dean RC7x refinish.

Reaction score
so i bought an rc7x a while back when thy first where available, and they where only available in metallic black or metallic white. naturally i bought the black model. but then dean released the rc7 which i believe is only available through custom shop and comes with a natural finish. i had to have one but wasn't willing to cough up the cash. most of the spec of the rc7x are the same as the higher end models except for some carves on the body and the frets. [i think the usa comes with dunlop 6000's] and i can always get new frets. so i decided to refinish mine.:shred:

0907101543-00.jpg

the autopsy.

0907101822-00.jpg

i used a power sander to rip off the clear coat, paint and sealer. i should have used a hand sander instead of a belt sander. that was a mistake in that i couldnt really maneuver around easily with out tearing chunks out of the body.

0907101746-00.jpg

those angles are tough

0907101745-00.jpg

while i was already sanding i took the liberty of sculpting the bottom horn to the usa model spec. it was already cut back, but not enough. now it's good for the "massive shredding" on the high frets as rusty says. :metal:

0907101843-00.jpg

the sides of the body are a pain in the ass. cant really get to em with the sander so i gotta do it by hand. getting through the sealer is the toughest part.

that's as far as i got this evening. more updates tomorrow.

0907102139-00.jpg

nice and sanded. i used 50 grit to get the big stuff off the 80 then 120. and 220 before the stain.

0907102224-00.jpg

i repainted the head stock but decided to leave a little extra touch with my stilletto. but i decided it was tacky plus my buddy jace [thejaceless420]
told my to leave it black, so i did.

0908101301-00.jpg

the stain.

0908101325-00.jpg

the mock up.

0908101836-00.jpg

finished product

0908101837-00.jpg

sorry for the angle. damn photobucket.

0908101838-00.jpg

the stain i used was a latex deck stain from ace i already had laying around my garage [im broke]
i used a rag and applied as much as i desired and let it dry for a couple of hours. i didnt like the top so i sanded and restained. i then used a polyurethane varnish that i used on the floors of my kitchen. again im broke. but it turned out pretty nice. the color reminds me of skwizgar's chirst's cross guitar. "i'd stand on it."

ill be taking some hi-res pictures soon after i restring.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

blister7321

Reaction score
edit:
sweet refinish dude i personally would have left the headstock alone but still it looks killer

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
I can't tell if you have already done this or not, but if you haven't, I recommend *not* sanding any of the paint away from the neck joint, or you may end up having to put shims in later to get the neck to sit right. I learned that the hard way when I refinished a Jackson a while back.

geofreesun

Reaction score
i like this. i might do the same thing with my rc7x~. btw how many pieces of wood is that body made of?

BenInKY

Banned
Reaction score
Looks cool, wish I could refinish guitars. Unfortunately I have no "shop" skills, nor the tools to do it :(

GeoMantic

Reaction score
The headstock throws it off a little. It would look a bit nicer if it wasn't quite as dark, so it could match with the Ebony board a little better.

Other than that, it looks sick.:yesway:

vhmetalx

\m/
Reaction score
Awesome man. Am jealous. What stain did you use? Thats what i wanna do to the ibby when i get it. Also, are you gunna clearcoat it?

geofreesun

Reaction score
nice~ more details on the stain plz?? i ll do it to mine if it doesn require too much skill :)

Reaction score
i'd go for it. basic shop skills are all you need. if your unsure go to projectguitar.com thats where i read on on my skills, "nun chuck skills, computer hacking skills"

vhmetalx

\m/
Reaction score
I just looked at pics of the rc7 mahogany then pics of this and its a pretty dead on match. Freakin schweet. I think imma get a stain like this on my ibby when i get it. Thank you for the stain color idea!