dearVR Mix...where have you been all my life?!

• Thread starter WarMachine
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

WarMachine

Reaction score
Holy shitballs dudes.
I watched a Glenn Fricker video early this morning on YouTube and he was demoing a pair of Sennheiser headphones and a plugin called dearVR Mix. The plugin is made to be used as a monitoring fx to simulate being in a treated studio listening to a mix through a pro setup/monitors but in your headphones. It has built in profiles for different types of headphones to use as well. I'm using my AKG 240 Studio headphones. Right away, i could hear too much wash going on in the cymbals/overheads/room mics on my kit, but the drums themselves were little quiet. So was the bass and leads. So i adjusted these small things and to my ears it made a world of difference in my mix. Its on sale now for 99 bucks with a 14 day free trial. I'll DEFINITELY be picking this up on payday lol.

Here's a track i did without the extra tweaks mentioned above;
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Lv2SyD-bJUAAIGDFrBUWTItc_2BM-AuI/view?usp=sharing

And here's the same track with the tweaks i made when listening through dearVR Mix;
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ALYkcWjaUCD6UhIIb4P2OqPENGu8pKht/view?usp=sharing

Now when i listen to the original mix the only thing i can hear is the cymbal wash and lack of bass lol. This thing is definitely going to be a big help with my recordings.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

4Eyes

Reaction score
i use something similar from waves (nx studio), there is also TB isone, that's doing something similar, too. I think it's very useful and it get's you closer to what you hear from speakers on headphones. not because of "treated studio room emulation" marketing BS, but because of emulation of speaker crosstalk which puts the audio in front of you in space, like when you listen it on speakers, instead of directly shooting sound waves into your ears. it's very useful has something similar implemented in their DSP for their DAC, I wish they did it also on their audio interfaces for headphones out

WarMachine

Reaction score
I can definitely justify the cost (if it stays at 99 bucks). It really helps me get those little things that i couldn't find that was fucking up my mixes. I've been playing with it the last few days and it really does help. And it also shows me that each track i do needs mixed differently. Sounds dumb, but when you do this nearly every day your ears get a little numb to what is going on. This alleviates that in spades.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
I bought NX when it was on sale and hated it. CPU hog, bad headphone profiles, phase issues in the crosstalk. Monitoring by Airwindows has been my go to for elimination of “super stereo”, but I’ll check out this new thing!

WarMachine

Reaction score
I bought NX when it was on sale and hated it. CPU hog, bad headphone profiles, phase issues in the crosstalk. Monitoring by Airwindows has been my go to for elimination of “super stereo”, but I’ll check out this new thing!
It definitely gives a sort of hi-fi sound and it's hard on the CPU as well, but i've been tracking direct thru my PODGo lately so setting the latency higher on my M-Track helped quite a bit. The sound isn't "pleasant" on the ears while its on, but it really helps track down levels and eq problems.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
It definitely gives a sort of hi-fi sound and it's hard on the CPU as well, but i've been tracking direct thru my PODGo lately so setting the latency higher on my M-Track helped quite a bit. The sound isn't "pleasant" on the ears while its on, but it really helps track down levels and eq problems.
I think NX just never actually turns off the head track bullshit when it’s bypassed, and that was a massive CPU drain. My biggest problem with headphone mixing is having my center stuff be too loud when I move to the car or my monitors.

WarMachine

Reaction score
I think NX just never actually turns off the head track bullshit when it’s bypassed, and that was a massive CPU drain. My biggest problem with headphone mixing is having my center stuff be too loud when I move to the car or my monitors.
Exactly. YMMV but my mixes are sounding killer no matter what I'm running them through, and I've had the same problem you're talking about for years dude, get a great mix in the cans and it turns to shit everywhere else.

RiffRaff

Reaction score
New mix sounds absolutely great. Really, really dig the track too. Nice refreshing change of pace compared to so much of the chug metal and djent you usually hear on forums. Thanks! :hbang: