Death metal bands that play in dropped tuning on 6 strings

• Thread starter vilk
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
The other day I read that Blood Incantation plays in drop C—a tuning I normally associate with metalcore.

Of course there's also Nile who played drop A on sixers for many years before they moved to 7's.

Who else is out there? Honestly the way a lot of DM bands mash power cords on the 6th string you'd think more of them would use dropped tuning. But I'm only aware of these two.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Carcass, at the gates both played in B standard
Pretty sure he means drop tunings with the E string tuned down a step, not just detuned in general. So something like CGCFAD or AEADF#B.

Pretty sure Entombed would sometimes tune down to drop A/A#/B.

When In Flames was still a melodeath band they used drop A on Colony and Clayman. Amon Amarth did a few times as well.

EDIT: Do we consider Monotheist-era Celtic Frost and Triptykon death metal? Because that's aaaallll drop B.

EDIT2: I think Michael Keene tunes to drop C for The Faceless?

Last edited:

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Pretty sure he means drop tunings with the E string tuned down a step, not just detuned in general. So something like CGCFAD or AEADF#B.

Pretty sure Entombed would sometimes tune down to drop A/A#/B.

When In Flames was still a melodeath band they used drop A on Colony and Clayman. Amon Amarth did a few times as well.

EDIT: Do we consider Monotheist-era Celtic Frost and Triptykon death metal? Because that's aaaallll drop B.

EDIT2: I think Michael Keene tunes to drop C for The Faceless?

Yes, I mean dropped tuning, not detuned standard tuning. If it were the latter, there are endless examples—in fact it would be more difficult to list DM bands that don't play in detuned standard tunings. But I kinda anticipated that guy's reply lol it always happens in these kinds of thread.

On Akeldama title track they use drop D, but I think the rest of the album is standard... I think Faceless uses D standard for all of Planetary Duality... So if they go drop C, is that on Autotheism? In Becoming a Ghost? Anyone know which tracks?

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Yes, I mean dropped tuning, not detuned standard tuning. If it were the latter, there are endless examples—in fact it would be more difficult to list DM bands that don't play in detuned standard tunings. But I kinda anticipated that guy's reply lol it always happens in these kinds of thread.

On Akeldama title track they use drop D, but I think the rest of the album is standard... I think Faceless uses D standard for all of Planetary Duality... So if they go drop C, is that on Autotheism? In Becoming a Ghost? Anyone know which tracks?
I know for sure that Ancient Covenant, Hideous Revelation, and Prophecies Fruition are in C. I'm just not sure if it's C standard or drop C. I just know that Keene did some lesson on guitarmasterclass and played Ancient Covenant in drop C.
Edit: Decided to watch some Keene vids, and yeah, homie definitely lives in Drop C. At least since Planetary Duality. I think there's some songs he goes even lower too since then.

Last edited:

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Also for black metal, Thantifaxath plays in drop C#
Never heard, I'll have to check it out. Actually BM playing in dropped is kinda rare too so I'm interested in that as well.

B.M.F.

Blasphemy Made Flesh
Contributor
Reaction score
Defeated Sanity - "Disposal Of The Dead // Dharmata" from 2016 was in Drop Bb tuning.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Desecresy tune to drop B.

Nice! I love Desecresy.

I know for sure that Ancient Covenant, Hideous Revelation, and Prophecies Fruition are in C. I'm just not sure if it's C standard or drop C. I just know that Keene did some lesson on guitarmasterclass and played Ancient Covenant in drop C.

That's interesting, many years ago I could play that song (even made a shitty YouTube video) but I remember it being in D standard... I was playing a double locking trem and back then I didn't know how to set them up :lol:

But I believe you! I just looked at the video and it's 13 years old... Jesus... I'm probably remembering wrong.

Kwert

Reaction score
Never heard, I'll have to check it out. Actually BM playing in dropped is kinda rare too so I'm interested in that as well.

I think their only full length, Sacred White Noise, is easily their best but the two EPs are also phenomenal. They have some new material in the works too. IMO Luke Roberts is a genius and everything he touches ends up awesome.

Latest posts